PDA

View Full Version : Paul mcKenna/ Self-help

W.I.F.T.S.
08-01-07, 01:43
I'm trying to follow this thing in the Times this week, with Paul McKenna giving advice on how to lose weight, stop smoking....etc. It does actually make a lot of sense to me. One thing that he says is "Do you say to yourself 'I don't want to be fat' or do you say 'I want to fit into my favourite pair of jeans'?". The first mindset is called 'moving away from the negative', whereas the latter is 'moving towards the positive'. He says that we are much more likely to achieve our goals if we set specific targets that we want to aim towards.

I guess that that's the thing with depression and anxiety. So, many of us want NOT to be depressed anymore, but we're not doing specific things in order to become the person that we want to be. As a depressive, I obsess about death and I'm afraid of doing anything which might be slightly dangerous, whereas it would be much more productive to work towards embracing life.

I do find self-help and psychology fascinating. There are so many simple little tricks that can help to change your mind set. I really like the idea of being your own life-coach and having an array of psychological ploys to use on yourself in order to get the desired results. So much of it is common sense anyway.

At the moment, I'm trying to say to myself that imagining myself on the planet and freaking out about it just isn't a helpful way of thinking. I need to just imagine that I'm really 'on the flat', like everybody else does, simply because they take it for granted. I have been trying this for a while now though and it doesn't really seem to be going in.

While I remember, on my football coaching course it says that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to get really good at something. I'm trying to use that principle to my current condition. I have severe depression and anxiety and everyday I am practicing becoming positive and more calm. Eventually I will be really good at it!!!!

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

bb01234
08-01-07, 03:32
switching your focus to what you want rather than don't want is important - too many people do the opposite.

Give it a whirl, you have nothing to loose.

I would mention that depending upon what's troubling you there may be a few other issues for consideration.

rgds

brian