PDA

View Full Version : blood pressure phobia

Overlay
23-12-14, 00:37
A few quick facts:
*57 years old, male
*have been working out almost every day of the week since age 16--mostly weights until age 30 or so, mostly cardio since
*very fit...BUT have some (mild?) hypertension
*come from a medical family
*wife says I'm a hypochondriac
*have suffered from anxiety and depression for most of my life
^^^^^^^^^^
Prostate cancer diagnosis earlier this year triggered a MASSIVE upsurge in anxiety about health, dying etc. Treatment went well but then I decided to address the blood pressure topic which was always about "white coat syndrome" for me.
^^^^^^^^^^
In October, I finally gathered up the courage to buy a BP monitor and found that it was mildly high (av/ 150/90)....Went to doc who started me on VERY low dose of Atenolol (beta blocker)....After a number of weeks, the average was down to 120/73 with almost no side effects....Doc was pleased and said to check it only occasionally.
^^^^^^^^^
Well NOW, it's way up again--and I'm FREAKING OUT!!!

**Thanks for reading!

venusbluejeans
23-12-14, 00:42
Hiya Overlay and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes: