PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts are driving me mad

margmx
23-12-14, 17:32
Hi,

Im having some serious problems with something that is causing me bad anciety and fear.

Namely, i ,, discovered" that the visual world is purely materialistic. Everything and everybody is material.
I guess its obvious from certain perspective but knowing it is very scary.

There are no such thing as situations, places, events, love, hapiness and so on.
When i inspect closely, i see that old house is not old, the material it consist of is just punch of material. Value, old" is nowere to be seen, emotionally it cannot be found in itself.

Its extremly scary to think that trough evolution we developed these values and perspectives to hide us from true and harsh reality.
Im not sure how can i keep going on like this. Knowing that i never creat anything, never be someone, never go anywhere...

Any thoughts??

Oosh
24-12-14, 09:56
Try to stop yourself going down rabbit holes like that. If you suffer from doubt, anxiety it gives your anxiety/doubt too much fuel to scare you.

When I have scary doubts about the truth about things I see things from an anthropological perspective. There is nothing complicated about life. It's all very simple and everything you do and are has a reason.

The house exists. They protect us from our environments.
Love exists, it's essential to create relationships in which we reproduce and succeed in surviving our environment etc

Everything we do has an explanation. Keep from going down those rabbit holes.

margmx
24-12-14, 13:56
Ty for your response!

What worries me is that we as humans tend to think in teleological manners.
Because reality itself is definetely hard to accept. Goosh the word ,, accept" itself does not exists in itself.
Im not sure why im so scared right now. Its like the whole life has been one big illusion. Im awake now and all i can see and feel is nightmare.
Add solipsim to that and...what you get is pure hell.

Lyn89
24-12-14, 17:42
I went through this briefly with my fight with anxiety. I thought it would never pass, but it did. I got over it by thinking about how I was before-- I lived my life without focusing on existential stuff and nothing had changed in between then and now except me focusing on it. You thinking about these things isn't going to change anything, so why think about it? Another thing that helped was distraction and rewarding myself when I forgot about it for a while. Thinking things like: if I can forget about these things for a few hours then I know I'm okay. Think how proud of myself I will feel then! Really helped too. If you still find that these thoughts are bothering you, then turn your reaction around. Welcome them instead of being afraid of them. Yeah, you're thinking about it but it's not hurting you or changing anything. Thoughts have no power if you don't give them any. Or you can allot time to worry or think about it. Give yourself 10 minutes of worrying time before moving on and doing something else. I can guarantee this will pass, but you have to get up and do something and not sit and ruminate on it, waiting for it to go away. Once you see it goes and you can forget about it, it'll be much easier to get over it the next time. And the next. Till it goes away completely and doesn't even cross your mind. You won't worry about it forever trust me

expecto patronum
24-12-14, 17:45
Hi Lyn89 can I just say that's a great post and very well put :) I'm copying and pasting your advice into Word so I can keep it!

margmx
24-12-14, 19:22
I guess that is what belief in scientific reductionism does. Searching for ultimate truths and proofs can drive one crazy...

Lyn89
24-12-14, 22:27
You're welcome expecto, I'm glad it helped :)

Margmx, I know it seems bleak now but if I can get better (I was not good, and that's an understatement), you can too. Really hoping you feel better and have a good holiday period.

Happy Christmas to you both, 2015 will be better

margmx
25-12-14, 00:59
Thank you!!