PDA

View Full Version : choked on acid reflux...now I'm worried about my lungs?

eastofeden
23-12-14, 18:22
I had bad reflux on Sunday night and I ended up inhaling some stomach acid into my windpipe. It burned a lot but I spent about 1-2 hours coughing to try and make sure I got every last trace of stomach acid out of my lungs. Now I'm worried I could get pneumonia or water in my lungs.

I'm not coughing as much anymore but I do feel a bit breathless. I've been watching for signs of pneumonia such as a fast pulse, shortness of breath, feeling breathless while lying flat, a high temp etc but I don't have any of them. But my sister told me my forehead felt a bit hot today but no fever or anything.

I'm still worried because my voice is croaky after getting the acid down my larynx. Should I see a doctor. The thing is it'll be really busy because it's almost Christmas. I'm not sure what to do.

Carnation
23-12-14, 19:53
I worry about this all of the time. And, it happens quite frequently to me. I am still alive and I don't know what you can do to safe guard this situation, but I now sleep on my side at night, as a prevention. I do think that the body can cope with circumstances and you would definitely know if you had pneumonia. you would feel really ill.

saab
23-12-14, 20:33
Never heard of this being dangerous, and lots of people get acid reflux so I think it would be widely known if it was an area of concern. I think if it happened all the time then it would be a problem but if it's just occasional I would think it's just an unpleasant side effect.