PDA

View Full Version : Hello panic attack

kchan
24-12-14, 20:52
I felt this one building. Last year around this time I went off the deep end and this year I felt this knot in my chest start building a few weeks ago. In the past week some things have happened that are intense but I was coping great. Now, im slipping. As I type this I can feel myself coming back but im still scared of this ruining another holiday season for me and my family. I just wanted to 'write it out' really, thanks if you've read.

Oosh
24-12-14, 23:18
Your body will react to what your mind is thinking about. Put it in a good place and your body will respond.

I overcame panic attacks years ago but last summer I had a brain scan and completely unexpectedly, when I was rolled into the incredibly, surprisingly narrow tube where I'd be scanned I felt this fear that this might make me panic. It was incredibly narrow, my elbows touched the sides and I was pushed in very unexpectedly deep.

I couldn't panic, not after all this time and I've had a brain scan in the past without a problem. So I just had one choice, I had to close my eyes and pretend I was somewhere else.
I pretended I had rolled under my jacked up car instead. That meant there was space all around. That made me feel better. I pictured me only in up to my waiste meaning I could reach to my waiste and roll myself out at anytime.
It was a sunny day where the car was. It was relaxing. I visualised people and things I cared about and played little movies in my mind that made me feel good. I was now totally relaxed and no longer aware of what was really there if I moved or opened my eyes. I felt relaxed and I felt good. Ten minutes in i wasn't overly bothered when I came out.

My point is, control what you focus on. Where your thoughts go your mood follows. You can think about and see whatever you want ! So you can forget thoughts that make you panic and replace them with thoughts that relax and make you feel good instead.

Knowing you control your focus gives you confidence and takes the power away from panicky thoughts. You don't feel at their mercy anymore. You don't feel out of control.

Happy Christmas

kchan
25-12-14, 16:47
It's true what your mind thinks your body makes real and vice versa. I've been feeling off coming down with a cold which has made me paranoid for various reasons so the body part ties with some of the thoughts im having. I can get a handle on it most of the time, but there are those times when it runs out of my control. That's when this place and nice people like yourself Oosh come in handy. Happy Christmas to you too :)