PDA

View Full Version : Tough Christmas

Psithurism101
25-12-14, 00:18
First and foremost, Merry Christmas to everyone!
I've been having health anxiety issues for about a year now, visited over 30 different doctors since january so yeah.. Not so good. I also diagnosed myself with plenty of illnesses. Yup, classic scenario. On tuesday night, I gulped down two large glasses of water at once, felt kinda gross and sick and decided to (!) google some symptoms (yaaay......) and therefore discovered 'water intoxication'. I began panicking and went to the nearest ER. Everyone there looked at me as if I were completely insane. Anyway, they administered some sodium chloride and I felt better afterwards. Yesterday I woke up later than usual, I felt groggy and weak the entire day (probably anxiety related) and I also limited my water consumption, but I cannot convince myself that I'm in no danger. And to top it all of, out of nowhere my right leg started hurting tonight. So now I'm also re-experiencing an uncontrollable DVT fear (had a negative d-dimer test a month ago). So yeah, double trouble :(

amadragonfly
25-12-14, 02:41
Merry Christmas. Here's to hoping you can try and forget and have a good day. What I have found helpful is repeating to myself "what will worrying do to stop my fears?" At some point you just have to say, "so what, it's just a pain" and move on with your day.
This being said, I just posted about fear after getting hit in the throat :(. I will try and repeat my words to myself.

anthrokid
26-12-14, 22:28
You do need to drink a fair amount in a short period of time to experience water intoxication - so something along the lines of 1 - 1.5 litres in an hour might be dangerous if you weren't exercising or if it wasn't a hot day. However, you've been to the ER and it has been quite some time now, so I imagine you are NOT suffering from water intoxication, but rather symptoms of anxiety due to your worry about water intoxication. Don't continue to limit your water consumption - drink as you need to - just don't drink more than a glass or two an hour if you are concerned. Otherwise you'll suffer from dehydration and become fatigued, get headaches, feel unwell and start worrying about those symptoms :)

saab
26-12-14, 23:05
You have to drink a huge amount of water to get water poisoning - it's mostly associated with people who are mentally illl, or have taken certain illegal drugs. It is very, very rare.If you have been to the toilet since drinking the water then you will have excreted most of the liquid anyway. The DVT fear is just your mind looking for something else to worry about because the worry about water poisoning has subsided a bit.