PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin Impressions Summary

Svojski85
25-12-14, 04:15
Dear readers of this post, I felt obliged to share with you some impressions that I gathered over the last 2 months on this beneficial medication called Lyrica here in the UK (or pregabaline, generically, elsewhere). Since I also felt some side effects, I wanted to share with you those side effects as well.

Why was I prescribed Lyrica?
About 6 months ago, I was on a certain medication which was giving me sedating effects; e.g. I could concentrate better, I did not have a 'stream of consciousness' in my head, I felt generally calmer, with much less anxiety (if any at all). However, this medicine was discontinued and I had to switch to something else since the stressors in my life still prevailed at that time and I was not confident weening myself of the medications entirely. For I started having social anxieties and overwhelming panic attacks again, the consultant doctor, whom I saw eventually, prescribed me Lyrica, only after a period of about 2 months when I was already struggling with those overwhelming anxieties, bringing me to a major depression which debilitated me even further at that time.

What did Lyrica give me?
Lyrica (pregabaline) was a rather good anti-anxiety medicine, acting for about 5-6 hours (at most), giving me some slight increased concentration in consequence. I was really pleasantly surprised for I did not expect (when I was depressed; no hope) anything from that new medicine at all. Yet, already on day 1 in the afternoon, I felt quite relaxed, and particularly with more energy (it somehow counteracted the debilitating depression I was having in me). Perhaps for I felt that it had cleared the underlying anxieties in me, such was the initial sensation, so I started dusting my entire apartment, hoovering the whole place, and I think I had a little "high" from it. That lasted for the 5 hours or so, then it went away. Then, the next day it was similar, but on the third day already, I did not have such an energy rush for I probably realized that the anti-anxiety effect of Lyrica (it was 75mg bidaily in my case, i.e. 150mg in total per day) took the major reason for my depression away, which were the returning social anxieties, so I experienced a quick psychological relief by the mild yet noticeable anti-anxiety sensations on the Lyrica.

How did it work for me over the next 2 months?
First of all, the effects then decreased and were less noticeable after some 14 days or so. You get used to it, I think. Even my doctor said that, so I then saw my GP (having consulted my other doctor), and asked the GP if he would put me on double the dose, again bidaily (twice daily). I was put on 2x150mg and this felt truly relieving. The anxiety was much gone, although I was feeling uninhibited a bit too much, perhaps. My thoughts were a bit too quick, but there was not anxiety I must say with it. It felt like some speed. After 2 months on that dose, the effects have long gone again, yet I think this final dose was quite right for what I had been experiencing before.

Downsides
Well, the one downside which I personally felt was that the medicine was not for the whole day, i.e. you had to take it twice (some people might want to try it even three times a day, depending on what dosage suits them and how deep anxieties they've got). Then, the other side (and I shall warn you) is that one should not take this medicine at night time. The mechanism of action of Lyrica (pregabaline) is that of functional depression inside your brain, i.e. it compromises the brain function and downregulates it. And since it compromises the brain function, it can compromise your heart rate (decrease), so when I was getting some sudden palpitations at night in my bed, especially for that 5-hour-lasting dosage taken after midnight (what a mistake I made), then I could not sleep for I felt my heart beat once, and then not at all, and then again faintly, and then barely again; that faint and irregular (desperate) heart beat scared me well if I'm honest. I suppose that, if the medicine works inside you at day time when you've got enough stress around you to keep your brain stimulated regardless, then your heartbeat is fine, I guess, but if the only thing you are doing is lying on your bed and trying to nod out, then the functional depressant effect of Lyrica on your brain could become a bit too strong for the rest of your body, without you realizing it or expecting it.... :shades:

So, hopefully you've got your dosage set right, at the right times of the day, or you've got something else eventually, which is helping you. All in all, I would recommend it, but you need to fine-tune your dosage and you should only take it at those particular times. Certainly don't take it for the night, just because you thought that you needed some extra anxiety relief for the sleep. It is a day medication (morning, midday, evening at most); nothing for the night.

grapefruitmoon
31-12-14, 17:27
Id go along with that summary.

hanshan
09-01-15, 07:03
I'd go along with most of that until it gets to the part about pregabalin at night, brain function and heart rate. Pregabalin stops cells in the brain from releasing excitatory neurotransmitters which may cause pain, anxiety or seizures. It has actually been used to improve heart rate - see this study

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21346609

Awareness of heartbeat is a very subjective thing. Sometimes I can feel a pulse everywhere, but other times I can't seem to find a pulse or even a heartbeat. I don't think it bears any relationship to my overall health. A persistent irregular heart beat at any time of the day or night needs to be examined by a doctor. It is unlikely to be caused by pregabalin.

I take my entire daily dose at bedtime, for reasons I have explained elsewhere. This works for me, but each person must find what is right for them.