PDA

View Full Version : Nasal cancer, very frightened.

snowflake293
26-12-14, 12:45
Ok so today I woke up feeling great having basically zero anxiety yesterday and having had a lovely Christmas with my family.

Anyway about 30 mins ago I blew my nose and a bit of blood came out. I have suspected nasal polyps and have done for some time and I use a steroid spray for them. Last night I used a bit of that vicks first defence spray too as my parents had colds, just as a precaution.

Before seeing the blood today I had noticed one nostril keeps blocking and opening but always feels a bit narrower than the other one. The other day I felt like the roof of my mouth and space between my nose and lip was numb and I have had Eustachian tube dysfunction too

Anyway like a fool I Googled nasal cancer and now I am convinced I have all the symptoms. I am meant to be going to a family party in 2 hours and I just cant move off the sofa. I am so sick with worry and can't even bear the thought of talking to the Dr about it incase they make me go and have a camera inside or tests. Massive fear of tests.

I feel terrible and I was going to well. What is wrong with me? :( I am so scared I have nasal cancer now and I have a tumour in my nose/sinuses that is causing my ear problems. I also feel like my lymph nodes in my neck are swollen.

Please can someone help, I feel so panicky and sick :(

If my nose is blocking then unblocking surely it couldn't be a tumour could it? Also when I use Otrivine nasal spray the blocking totally goes away.

Fishmanpa
26-12-14, 16:31
If my nose is blocking then unblocking surely it couldn't be a tumour could it? Also when I use Otrivine nasal spray the blocking totally goes away.

No, it's not cancer. Head and neck cancers don't present that way. Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It does not come and go nor clear up with nasal spray. Enjoy your day please.

Positive thoughts

Annie0904
26-12-14, 18:13
If you have nasal cancer then I do too as I get the same symptoms :) The difference is I know it isn't nasal cancer as like Fishmanpa said it doesn't present itself in that way. Rather than all the sprays you are using maybe a steam inhalation would help more. Bleeding from the nose is not uncommon when you have had a blocked nose or Eustachian tubes as the lining of the nose becomes irritated causing the bleeding.

debs71
26-12-14, 18:20
Steroid sprays can typically cause nasal bleeding. I have had the same myself a couple of weeks ago after using Beconase for a few days, due to a blocked ear. It freaked me out too, but putting 2 and 2 together, it is the spray.

Bleeding from the nose can also be caused by a very dry nose inside. A saline spray will help with that.

Have you actually been diagnosed with polyps? It is not advisable to use steroid sprays regularly if you haven't good cause to, as they can thin the membranes of the nose, hence the bleeding.

The Vicks spray may also be causing the numb feeling, especially if it contains menthol or suchlike. That stuff can create numbness in the mouth and also a burning in the nose and throat as a side effect. The whole nose/ear/throat physiology is linked so the nose will affect the mouth, the ears will affect the nose, etc, etc.

It sounds to me like all of your symptoms are just Eustachian Tube Dysfucntion, which you mention you have had. I also have it too. My left ear is permanently crackly, my sinuses blocked then suddenly unblocked - back and forth all of the time. It is par for the course with ETD, nothing scary....just extremely frustrating and annoying.

The fact that your blockage issues go away with Otrivine shows that this is doubtless nothing sinister....just your sinuses playing up.

Try not to worry. I have the same and have done for ages, and am still around and unworried. x:hugs:

mummato2
27-12-14, 00:48
My phobia is cancer.

I had a respiratory infection that lasted a month and now I have a tiny bit of residual sinus blockage that is coming and going (my thread is on this page as well).

I was stupid enough to google sinus cancer - and it turns out that in the entire population of the US (I can't find Aussie stats) only 2000 cases of sinus cancer appear - mainly men in the over 60's bracket who are/were heavy smokers.

That said, the symptoms are nothing of what you are describing.

Yours sounds like mine. A simple sinus issue. The one thing that is stopping me from leaping into panic is my nose is completely clear some moments and stuffy others. Cancer just does not settle like that.

How about we wait it out together? I have decided that if it is there in exactly 2 weeks time I will go to my Dr rationally and ask if I should be worried. If it starts to go away or stay the same then I'll decide if I can wait a week or two more.

snowflake293
27-12-14, 06:48
My phobia is cancer.

How about we wait it out together? I have decided that if it is there in exactly 2 weeks time I will go to my Dr rationally and ask if I should be worried. If it starts to go away or stay the same then I'll decide if I can wait a week or two more.

Thanks for your reply - sounds like a plan to me! I am going to wait 2 weeks too :) x

---------- Post added at 06:48 ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 ----------

Thank you everyone for your replies and advice, it has really helped me and I feel much better about it now.

A few years ago a doctor said I had polyps and to use a steroid spray as I was having problems with a blocked nose. I guess I just worry about it being something more sinister, my HA plays tricks on me. Basically my boyfriend was out at work and I started to panic. I often ask him for reassurance but I need to stop because it is just feeding my anxiety.

I have always had dodgy ears/sinuses and I am certain if I had something life threatening I would know about it, so I am going to try my best to park this worry for now and if it is still bothersome in a couple of weeks THEN I will see a doctor, but for now I am going to get on with enjoying Christmas with my family :)

I went to my Auntie's party last night and it was great, we all had a right laugh! Paying for it this morning though... I am on 50mg Sertraline and the Dr did say if I must drink just to have one or two as it can make the effects worse, well I got swept up in spirit of things didn't I and I feel vile this morning :wacko: lol serves me right, never again! xx

Annie0904
27-12-14, 09:33
I am pleased you enjoyed your night out last night but yes...meds and alcohol don't mix :( Make sure you eat well today.

snowflake293
27-12-14, 10:14
They definitely do not mix, the dr did warn me not to over do it. I am only on week 2 of starting Sertraline too and it has been a real rollercoaster so I need to wind it in a bit now and take better care of myself.

Meds and booze are a bad mix and can be very dangerous. Last week I took a diazepam at 10:30am and thought I would be ok to have a cider that evening - big mistake, totally knocked me out! Definitely never, ever, ever mix the two. I know everyone is different but the advice is not to mix and I will stick by that now.

sizzling
27-12-14, 19:08
I have exactly the same worry about nasal sinus cancer. My issue is I get blood in my phlegm and constantly have phlegm in the back of my throat. I also get periods of feeling blocked around my sinuses. It's the blood which worries me most, I only get it a few times a year and it's a small amount.

I've seen an ent and had a barium swallow, chest x ray and they've put a tube in to have a look at my nose and throat. Everything looks fine but the problem still persists. They have no further answers other than exploratory surgery but I'm reluctant to have that. They didn't seem positive about it either. It's been 18 months now and I don't know what to do. I just have this worry that there's something sinister or it's going to develop into something sinister. Not having an answer isn't easy but I don't know what to do next I'm just worrying all the time. It's starting to ruin my life.

Hope you get your issue sorted.

snowflake293
27-12-14, 23:04
Yeah seeing the blood in the tissue is scary, happened again today but it was only a tiny tiny bit so luckily it didn't bother me too much.

It sounds like you have had loads of tests and investigations done, I am sorry to hear your problem still persists though and having the contact worry isn't nice at all :( I find it hard sometimes to trust the doctors but I am learning to let go of my fears (very very slowly) and listen to them when they tell me I am ok.

My sinuses have always been a bit funny, I've had various allergies, asthma, cat allergies etc... since I was a kid. Sometimes I get so blocked up, often in just one nostril that scares me and I get a lot of phlegm when this happens too :(

I feel better than I did yesterday though, it definitely feels worse when I focus on the symptoms.

I hope things get sorted for you, I know how horrible it is living with the worry but when I have been in similar situations what has helped me is thinking about all the tests, examinations, doctors I have seen etc... and I think if it was something terrible the would have spotted it. I just keep telling myself that over and over, I don't always believe it a first but I'm keeping on with it :)

xx

mummato2
28-12-14, 01:21
I happened to have a visit from my family Dr (who is a very good mate) and he said or symptoms could be from a maxillary sinus infection.

While I don't have the bother in my ears, he mentioned this was also a symptom and I remembered your thread.

Perhaps consider seeing your Dr and mentioning a sinus infection?

I asked if these symptoms would point to something sinister - and he said definitely not. Actually, he said something very similar to Fishmanpa and said cancer would present differently and definitely wouldn't come and go. He showed me a google image of the face and explained it is so small and tight that something out of place like a tumor in an area such as the sinuses would make itself known and it would likely be constant.

I've started antibiotics to cover any infection and am seeing my dentist on Friday to rule out TMJ or a tooth issue.

So try to remain strong xx

GwenP
28-12-14, 10:50
I to have same symptoms get bad post nasal drip and cough and went back to good old evil mr google, believe doc says me

snowflake293
28-12-14, 12:20
Thanks for the replies. My symptoms have eased off a lot now but if they get bad again I will see a dr. Not panicking over it now (unfortunately panicking over something else now!) thanks so much for all your help, really good knowing I can come here for support from people who understand the hell that is health anxiety.

Sending strong and positive thoughts to all and thank you so much xxx