PDA

View Full Version : Codeine for heightened anxiety?

Laur
26-12-14, 22:06
I need a bit of advice really.

I am an asthmatic and with my current anxiety it is sending me into hysterics of panic. I take codeine to reduce pain and had one earlier this morning for a headache. It occurred to me that I was much calmer earlier and was wondering whether the drug I had taken had calmed me down.

I'm not talking on a permanent basis- I'm taking for 2 days (over the weekend until my doctors is open). Does it actually calm you down? Codeine that is.

I understand it is very addictive but have taken codeine containing drugs for numerous days previous to this time. I normally don't even need to take as much as the stated dose of "2" soluable tablets.

I just need something to tide me over until I can get back to my doctors and have my medication reassessed. Is there anything people can suggest? Or could I take small doses of my pain killer just to calm me down, especially before sleep.

Thanks

yenool
28-12-14, 16:11
I find codeine does have a calming effect. I mean it is converted into morphine in the body I believe.

It is not a good idea to be using codeine to treat anxiety though.

Elle-Kay
28-12-14, 16:26
You shouldn't self-medicate, especially with Codeine which as you've already identified is addictive. It's an analgesic, not an anxiety medication. I take it for migraines & would strongly warn you against taking it for anything other than pain relief (and then only as a very temporary thing).

AlexandriaUK
28-12-14, 16:29
My MIL is asthmatic and can't take coedine, is that just her or is it all those who suffer from asthma.

Elle-Kay
28-12-14, 16:34
Codeine is contraindicated for all asthmatics as far as I know. Several other analgesics are.

Laur
28-12-14, 17:23
Codeine is contraindicated for all asthmatics as far as I know. Several other analgesics are.

I'm not entirely sure what that means but if it's a bad thing then please don't tell me. My pharmacist I'm fairly sure has told me taking codeine is okay if I'm asthmatic. But if it isn't i don't want to know because my anxiety is so bad right now!

I have had to take codeine for my constant headaches anyway. I don't take much so I highly doubt I'll get addicted. I don't see the appeal, it just gets rid of my headache. I haven't found it to calm me down much either.

I'm practically not eating, and not sleeping it's got that bad. Only 16 more hours to go until my doctors surgery is open and than hopefully I can get some help- because my current citalopram isn't doing it!
Thank you all for your input.

I think I've come down with a cold aswell. Bad timing eh!

MyNameIsTerry
29-12-14, 07:47
GPs prescribe codeine for asthma sufferers. My mum had asthma and had taken it this way.

Contraindication comes in levels and can mean it should be monitored as opposed to avoided so if depends on the severity. If the pharmacist knew you had asthma then they can turn down a GP prescription if they don't agree with it anyway.