PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded Jaw Ache

Katki
26-12-14, 22:17
Anyone else clench thier jaw as soon as a wave of anxiety comes thier way? I am currently living with my jaw permanently clenched, I have been like this for a good 5 weeks now, it's giving me headaches from hell and making my teeth feel like theyre going to fall out. Mainly my left side of the jaw. Luckily this isn't triggering my health anxiety as I know very well why I have it. It's just a (literal) pain to say the least. :scared15:

Elle-Kay
26-12-14, 22:32
I wake up with aching teeth when I'm most anxious, from clenching my jaw. Someone once told me that it's harder to break a habit than to make one (duh!), and to break one you need to practice - they suggested I set a timer on my phone to go off every 10-15 minutes to remind me to stop hunching my shoulders. Maybe that would help to break your jaw clenching habit?

Alice1
26-12-14, 23:16
I have this all the time! It helps me if I gently massage the space between my eyebrows, under my eyebrows, my temples and my jaw. And try really hard to relax my face.
I feel your pain with the headaches though, you can literally feel the tension right through your head and you just need to wait it out. :/
Have you tried those spider-looking head massagers? I tried one the other day and did not expect it to be that relaxing. It might wear off quickly but I'm very tempted to buy one myself as they're really cheap!

Katki
27-12-14, 00:09
I wake up with aching teeth when I'm most anxious, from clenching my jaw. Someone once told me that it's harder to break a habit than to make one (duh!), and to break one you need to practice - they suggested I set a timer on my phone to go off every 10-15 minutes to remind me to stop hunching my shoulders. Maybe that would help to break your jaw clenching habit?

I studied fashion design at uni and spent 5 years hunched over a sewing machine and lugged fabric around every day... now I walk like Quasimodo AND have a protruding jaw!! It doesn't get better than this!:yesyes:

In seriousness, I have been chewing chewing gum gently which helps a lot, for now. It seems to have eased off just now :)

---------- Post added at 00:09 ---------- Previous post was at 00:09 ----------

I have this all the time! It helps me if I gently massage the space between my eyebrows, under my eyebrows, my temples and my jaw. And try really hard to relax my face.
I feel your pain with the headaches though, you can literally feel the tension right through your head and you just need to wait it out. :/
Have you tried those spider-looking head massagers? I tried one the other day and did not expect it to be that relaxing. It might wear off quickly but I'm very tempted to buy one myself as they're really cheap!

Love those things, I want one now!!x