PDA

View Full Version : Can I introduce myself again?

Shapeshifting Lizard
27-12-14, 02:14
The name's Ryan. I've already been a member here but it was like 4 months ago and I can't remember much. I have Asperger's syndrome, and I'm an alcoholic. I drink roughly 55cl vodka on average a day. I have friends and acquaintances, but for the last two months I've been staying away from most social contact and just staying at my nan's where I live. I spend most of my time on the internet, I obsessively look up information, especially diseases, history and scientific subjects like physics and biology.

I used to look after my dad for 2 years before he died, he was couchbound and we could get hardly any help for him. Now I'm concerned cause my granddad has dementia and his knee is about to collapse, he's in his own world and thinks he's invincible.

Anyway, there's loads of other stuff, not to compare myself to other's here I'm just saying I'd love to get involved again cause I've distanced myself from everyone for ages and I'd love some support so long as I don't make an ass of myself.

venusbluejeans
27-12-14, 02:19
Hiya Shapeshifting Lizard and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Shapeshifting Lizard
27-12-14, 03:00
Thanks a lot :D I was told by someone that alcoholics are looked down upon here. Is this true or am I being duped? Just something I have to check.

MyNameIsTerry
27-12-14, 06:32
I've been on here most of this year and not seen that about alcoholics Ryan. Personally I would be disgusted by that attitude. I have attended walk in sessions with people from all walks of life which included alcohols and substance misuse members and I never noticed any judgement there either because I think when you go through all this you learn life isn't as simple as you thought it was and we could all end up in the same boat.

I can say some members are anti alcohol in that they advise people not to self medicate or not use it because it can make anxiety worse but it's always in a respectful manner. The same for substance misuse.

Shapeshifting Lizard
27-12-14, 21:24
That's cool, cheers for telling me too. Just had someone tell me it was a thing around here. Just so long as people understand I know it's killing me!!!! I mean there are obviously times when I enjoy drinking for the sake of it but that's because I'm already high. It's hard not to get high when you drink. I should really be stopping and taking my doctor's advice. I am shortly going on an alcohol programme (not AA or anything like that). But it is like medication. This is the reason my dad died, and me and my whole family feel I'm gonna go the same way.

Long story short, I don't enjoy anything unless I drink. No pleasure at all. Zilch. No sleep as well, however I do have tablets for that so I can't use that as an excuse. It's actually more about anxiety, but they go hand in hand. You can't be calm when you're freaking out all the time.