PDA

View Full Version : Am i alone

kelly246
08-01-07, 19:34
hey i was just wondering i suffer with health anxiety quite bad to the point i dont like watching certain things on the telly incase something bad happens as i think i will get it and its begginning to take over my life as i am constantly thinking the worse is going to happen its started to effect my relationship with my boyfriend as we hardly go out as im worrying all the time im only 24 so i should be enjoying my life not wasting time worrying i just want to know im not alone and if any one has any advice for me sorry yo moan x

Lola
08-01-07, 19:44
Hi Kelly,

I think lots of things can be triggers... For me, women's magazines, with all their gloom and doom "You may have cancer" and "What your GP is not telling you" stories, freak me out! But then I remind myself that they want to sell their magazines, so the more sensational their stories, the better. I have learned not to trust these types of media as responsible, accurate sources of information! You have to kind of psyche yourself into not allowing your fears to hinder your lifestyle... I know it's hard, but it gets easier :)

Keep your chin up and remember there are several of us who have felt and do feel the same way!

Lola

peach
08-01-07, 22:57
hi,
i cant watch or read anything bad either....i try to only stick to comedys now, its hard cause some nights here in australia, it seems its either doctor shows or cerial killer police shows on tv, very annoying!!!
im finding it disturbing that ppl want to watch those shows anyway..surely it cant be good for the soul?!

bb01234
09-01-07, 00:12
Kelly, Lola, Peach, as you've noticed nearly every magazine and paper and tv programme sells by pandering to fears. So guess what, that means that probably a lot of people out there feel just like you 3, otherwise the mags would go bust and a new style would develop.

Getting in touch on here is a good way to start moving forward.

Feelings of anxiety are a bit like flypaper - every negative 'it could happen' feeling gets stuck on there.

But it's important to understand that anxiety is a symptom, not a cause. Anyone that has anxiety has developed it from some event, possibly for the wackiest of reasons and to the extent that this was developed their unconscious mind will continue to find ways for you to be anxious.

I speak from personal experience - so don't think I'm Mr Superior or something.

If you are able to work through and back to when, where and how this symptom developed then it's possible to re-understand that event and the everyday anxiety can abate and will be replaced by context-specific anxiety.

It's worth considering.

regards

brian

HazyMind
09-01-07, 10:57
Hi,
Yes I am exactly like this!! I have started to avoid tv shows that might involve illness and I've stopped reading magazine articles and news stories about these horror health scares!!
You need to remember that these stories are very rare which is why they are featured in the news, try and avoid these at all costs if you can!

I know sometimes it can't always be avoided, like eastenders recently Pauline Fowler had her heraramege(arghh spelling sorry lol [:O][:I]) and I spent the next few days worrying about this. Infact when my friends are watching shows that involve brain tumours and things they always say to me I hope you weren't watching whatever if might have been the night before.

Try not to worry too much hun, what you have are symptoms of anxiety and they can't harm you, and always get reassurance from your doctor if you need it!

Take care xx