PDA

View Full Version : Fear of vomiting in public places with no escape

Spooky2000
29-12-14, 09:14
Hi everybody,

I was wondering if more people have this problem? I always had a fear of getting sick in a public place but if I knew there was an escape route ( restroom etc ) it would actually be ok. I would be able to go to dinner etc etc.

But regarding bus or other busy places with no escape route? Does anybody have any tips for me or experiences how to deal with that ?

:noangel:

venusbluejeans
29-12-14, 13:00
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

koala
23-04-15, 00:43
Im not sure if i can offer you any tips but i also have a fear of being sick in public (even when there are restrooms nearby). The thought of being sick in front of someone actually makes me feel sick.

I guess the best thing to do if your feeling anxious is focus on taking deep breathes and try a distraction technique (eg counting backwards, naming an animal for every letter of the alphabet, reading a book).

Hope that helps.

steph25
23-04-15, 14:57
I had a fear of vomiting in public places, I used to carry around bags just in case I was sick. My fear got so bad I was sick (twice) in public places and it was horrific.

I'm not sure what's stopped the anxiety now if I'm honest, I think maybe it has gone from that anxiety to another one (health)

AnxietyDJ
23-04-15, 16:03
I also tend to feel sick as part of my anxiety - which is generally worst in confined places with no escape route - bus, train etc.

I'm currently 3/4 through a course of CBT and one thing that has been raised which I hadn't thought about before was that quite a lot of my anxiety is based around my own perception and fears of the social impact being sick / passing out etc. would have, and how the strangers around me will react to it.

In actual fact when you break it down and really think about it, 99% of people would stop and offer you help if they saw you were unwell, rather than being mean towards you - ask yourself whether you would feel sympathy or anger towards somebody that you saw in that situation.

Not sure if it helps to think about it in that way, but I found it quite useful.

Hope you start to feel better very soon :)

PrincessPanic89
01-01-16, 22:31
I haven't any advice as I have the same problem. I try and use mind over matter a lot, especially on public transport. 90% of the time I use public transport, I will feel sick. It's just something to do with my anxiety but not good when you're emetophobic. I just try and rationalise it by thinking things like, I feel sick on the bus all the time but I've never actually vomited etc. It is horrible though :(

mark84
03-01-16, 11:23
i'm like this, I can't eat in front of other people because I feel so nauseous :(