PDA

View Full Version : Its back again....

PAULF
31-08-04, 09:44
Hi people!

Hope your all ok, as some of you may know, i suffer from anxiety and my mind thinks stupid things.

Ive been fine for 3 weeks, even relaxed all last week without a worry. This weekend though has been dreadful. I had a re-occurance before, but this one seems a hell of a lot worse.

The main reason is that my mum and dad are going away today for 3 days too Paris. I have had negative thoughts running through my head regarding this since saturday - really bad ones ie. what if the plane crashes etc etc. Ive told them to ring me as soon as they get to Paris which they said they would do but my mind is saying "what if they don't?" Im at work at the moment but know as soon as i get home and im by myself i will not be able to cope with it.

Any advice on how i will be able to control this, im sure everything will be ok but at the back of my mind their is this worry that things will not be - to make it worse my sister got married last friday and she is on her honeymoon so if something did happen i wont even be able to contact my sister.

I cant even eat at the moment - my girlfriend is coming over tonight for a meal - dont know how im going to eat.

Any advice will be extremely appreciated.

Paul x

Meg
31-08-04, 10:05
Paul -

Its normal to worry about our loved ones ..
These are genuine concerns but perhaps out of proportion.

Re flight crashing - If it does which is highly unlikely - we'll all know about it within seconds.
If they don't call -you can either switch on any radio for the news, read it on line etc and no news is good news ..

You need to logic things down to a basic common denominator these days ahead. Ask yourself the question- think of the variety of possible answers, pick the most realistic one, ask the next question etc etc

Do not let yourself ponder on the most extreme unreal answers.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

stimpy
31-08-04, 12:47
Paul,

I'm sorry you are feeling a bit rough at the moment.
It is perfectly normal to worry.

The main thing at the moment is to try to distract yourself.
Shuffle some papers about, clean your table, sharpen some pencils.
Anything to keep yourself busy.

Your girlfriend is coming over later, so you won't be on your own.
Talk to her, tell her what is bothering you.
The main thing is to try and calm down, relax and keep your mind on other things.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

nomorepanic
31-08-04, 12:59
Paul

I am sure they will be fine. Plane crashes are so few and far between really and I am sure you know that deep in your heart.

You need to keep busy tonight and burn off some of that excess adrenalin.

Do a bit of exercise tonight and then take a relaxing bath ready for your girlfriend coming over and I am sure you will have a great evening.

Hope you have a great evening!

Nicola

Lilith
31-08-04, 14:15
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">...my mind thinks stupid things.

<div align="right">Originally posted by PAULF - 31 August 2004 : 09:44:53</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

I just had to comment on this turn of phrase. It's so interesting, isn't it, that we can observe our mind's irrationality, and be separate from it, even while it's affecting us. Maybe the key to recovering from this is to somehow widen that separation and learn to observe those thoughts dispassionately.

(Not that I know how to do this, lol. But maybe someday...)

PAULF
31-08-04, 14:52
Thank you all for your support - still can't seem to push it out of my head - went shopping at dinner time and got myself another relaxation CD, which hopefully will do the trick.

My mum and dad have phoned twice to see how i am and to say they are at the airport and everything is fine. Dont think ill be happy until they are back in the UK. Got to stop being stupid though, their is nothing i can do about it and i cannot always feel like this, their are going to be times when they go away for 2 weeks - so i suppose this is a good learning kerb for me - if i can get through this and everything be alright on friday it will be cool but until that day its going to be a struggle i feel.

I have lent my girlfriends laptop so i will be able to come into the chat room and chat away - that should put my mind at rest.

Paul

seh1980
31-08-04, 16:36
hi there Paul,

It's always hard to forget about something that's really worrying you. Just try to think logically and try to distract yourself - your girlfriend will be with you so I'm sure she will be a big help.

Sarah :D

PAULF
31-08-04, 16:50
Thanks Sarah,

I find it more difficult when im going to sleep to be honest. Im preety much occupied during the day but their is always going to be a time when i need to sleep but my mind will go mad! Hopefully my relaxation CD will work and with my girlfriend staying tonight too, it should be ok.

How annoying!!

seh1980
31-08-04, 17:13
Hi again Paul,

I agree that going to sleep is always the difficult bit. Do you like reading? Getting into bed with a really good book normally works for me. Take care.

PAULF
31-08-04, 17:26
Whoooooo look at me with a star under my name! Thats made me feel well special[8D]!

I have got books, and yes, i am going to get back reading them. I tell u what when we are all cured, we will be the strongest people in the world - and we will be able to deal with anything.

In one way, i am preety chuffed that i am having this experience, as i suppose it is a little tester and we will be more experienced in how to deal with things than other people! (if that makes sense!)

Paul x

sal
31-08-04, 17:32
Hi Paul

I am sure with your girlfriend with you tonight it will be a great support.

Hope you are feeling a little better than earlier.

Love Sal xxxxx

mico
31-08-04, 18:32
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
In one way, i am preety chuffed that i am having this experience, as i suppose it is a little tester and we will be more experienced in how to deal with things than other people! (if that makes sense!)

Paul x

<div align="right">Originally posted by PAULF - 31 August 2004 : 17:26:48</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

I can relate to that, I've learnt a lot about myself since my anxiety started, a lot of which I don't think I would've learnt without it, and it's all positive stuff.

Ask me about that on a bad day though and you might get a different answer ;).

Anyway, seems like you've perked up a bit Paul, since you first posted this each of your posts on this page has been more positive than the last, keep up that attitude and you'll be sailing ahead.

mico

seh1980
31-08-04, 20:16
[Wow!] Paul - that such a positive attitude to have!! well done mate!!

pips
31-08-04, 20:54
Hi Paul,

I hope you are feeling better.

I know exactly how you feel. I am a born worrier also. If my Mum isn't home when I phone when she normally is or my hubby is late home I automactically think the worst. There usually is always a good explanation and then I just feel stupid for thinking like that in the first place!

Remember you are not alone though and it just shows how sensitive you are and how much you care so thats a positive trait!

I find the best thing for me is some kind of distraction when I m overly worried and sometimes before you know it the thing you were worried about is sorted (hopefully!)

Take care I hope alls well
PIP'S

jo-jo
31-08-04, 22:40
Hiya Paul

You're doing just fine hon and you have a good attitude. Before you know it, it'll be Friday and you folks will be home and you will have made another great step forward because you will have coped and got through this.

Hope you're having a lovely evening with your girlfriend and that she's helping you to chill out.

Best wishes, Jo xx

sal
31-08-04, 23:37
Hi Paul

Hope last night went well, and you managed to chill out.

How are you feeling now hon?

Look forward to hearing how you are getting on.

Love Sal xxxxx

stimpy
01-09-04, 02:31
:D We knew they would ring - didn't we aye.

Well done for getting through such a tough and draining day.

I always listen to talk sport, that never fails to help me drop off to sleep.

Lets hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

PAULF
01-09-04, 09:49
Hi everyone! They did ring! They are ok, they said they would ring tonight but i said no, dont promise anything, just ring me when your at manchester airport on friday - or else i would worry if they did not ring.

Feel better today but very drained and as if "im not really here!" Had a really nice night with my girlfriend but again, felt drained and as if i'd been in a boxing ring with Mike Tyson!

I was going to go to my mates house tonight and sleep at his but i feel as if i need to stay by myself and sleep @ home or else im never going to get over the "being by myself" fear.

On my work today i was a bit worried that id misplaced the piece of paper with details of the flights and hotel where my mar and par are staying but i think its my mind playing that good old trick on me.

My i say a BIG thankyou to everyone who responded yesterday/today, you are the people who made me feel stronger as the day went on.

I wish we all lived close so we could all meet up. But hey ho, you cant have everything.

Paul x

Meg
01-09-04, 14:31
Hi Paul,

Great news . Its not suprising you're knackered . You have been using the same sort of adrenaline that althletes use ...

Treat your body well today . Good regular nutrition.
Vit B complex - you'll have used your excess up.. Relaxation and catch up on sleep and you'll feel back here with us soon.

Good for you recognising and doing the home alone bit..It has to be done.

Also excellent about not planning further calls - just more deadlines to worry about as the minutes tick by.

When I lived in Canada noone gave times for anything - it was always 'call you later ' It totally infuriated us time concious Brits initially, but as time went by, we understood that it was just a get out clause for any commitment to anything but it also stopped any incessant worry which always had a reasonable explanation whe 'later' did happen..

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch