PDA

View Full Version : Want To Say Hi

DonnaScott
08-01-07, 21:46
I have been recommended this site by my GP. I have been suffering from anxiety and small panic attacks for the past year. These have been centred and triggered by my phobia of people and my family being sick. Things have got worse since my twin girls started school last September.

Alot of the time the feelings are under control - but if someone close should fall ill - the feelings spiral out of control and I end up in a constant state of panic and anxiety which can take weeks to subside.

Being a stubbon mule I have so far refused to take AD's - I don't want to become reliant on them - and again my irrational thoughts take over and I worry about side effects etc.

I have tried normal counselling which has helped sort out some areas of my life and I have also recently tried some hypnotherapy which again has also helped a little. I have spent alot of time reading various articles on this site and I think the fact I have trouble really relaxing could be why I am not getting the full benefit from the treatment.

I have been to see GP again today who has given me a prescription for Prozac - I figure its there if I get desperate, and also a book prescription for a book called controlling anxiety - apparrently its a workbook which I should get from the library - has any used this self help method. Unfortunately the GP is unable to fund one to one CBT.

I have gained some comfort tonight from reading articles here and hope to be able to gain control of my negative thinking and feel better soon.

trac67
08-01-07, 21:49
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'

groovygranny
08-01-07, 21:53
Hello Donna, welcome :)!!

You have certainly come to the right place......I certainly did nearly 6mnths ago and have never looked back :)!

I had mega probs with being unable to relax or sleep properly (mainly due to similar issues as you), so if you want to PM me then please do! Also had counselling which was very beneficial.

Speak soon I hope, take care

lotsa luv

GG [:P]

xx

'There are no such things as strangers; just friends we haven't made yet!'

honeybee3939
08-01-07, 21:54
Hi Donna

A BIG warm welcome to you, lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice while making new friends on the way.

Take a look at the First Step Pages they may be of interest.
First Steps:
First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Love

Andrea
xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

nomorepanic
08-01-07, 22:18
Hi Donna

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here. Glad your GP recommended this site to you.

With regard to ...

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Unfortunately the GP is unable to fund one to one CBT</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

He cannot say that and if he does then you need to wave the NICE guidelines in his face. Every person has a right to it and he can't say he can't fund it atall.

Hope we can be of help to you anyway.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

manmoor
08-01-07, 22:47
Hi Donna,

A big warm welcome to you.

Take Care

Mandyxx

chucklehound
09-01-07, 10:57
Welcome to NMP

Take care

Chuckle

xxxx

ceecee
09-01-07, 11:34
hi donna
welcome to the forum
you,ll find lots of great advice here
take care
rach x

PandaPie
09-01-07, 14:01
Hi Donna, I suffer from the same fear as you (emetephobia) plus anxiety.

This is a great website, I'm sure you'll find lots of ideas and support here.

Panda x

kittykat
09-01-07, 15:45
hi Donna,

First of all a warm welcome to the site , you'll find it helps a lot. Secondly dont be afraid to try the Prozac i'm on my 2nd month and was terrified as i had never been on meds before , but they are helping slowly, and are not addictive.
Feel free to PM me anytime if you need to chat.

Take care

shirley xx

'' I am an optimist, but I'm an optimist who carries a raincoat. '' - Harold Wilson

Papageno
09-01-07, 16:28
Donna,

Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!

As to alternatives to drug therapy, have a look at all the information pages here. They are a mine of information!

I have been greatly helped by Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) and I have found it well worth while finding a local counsellor through the National Phobics Society.

As to CBT funding, this varies very greatly like everything else in the NHS! My GP was very helpful and prepared to fund. The only problem was that my local NHS psychological services had a 9 month waiting list. I did not have much success with CBT I suspect because my therapist was about the same age as my children!!!

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO RULE OUT NOTHING! By all means, keep sceptical about therapies but be prepared to give ANYTHING a go! However, I would advise that you have a look on this site to see if anyone has gone down the route you are intending to go!

The very, very best of luck to you!

Papageno

nachx3
09-01-07, 17:13
Hi,
I also have this big fear of my family being ill. I always think the worse is going to happen and get my self in a right state.
I have the Controlling Anxiety book. It is quite good to have beside the bed as its an easy read and helps put things into perspective.

Great to have you on board. Maybe we can swap notes.

Take care

yorkylover
09-01-07, 23:33
Hi donna and welcome.;):);)

Ellen XX

Lindalou64
10-01-07, 00:02
welcome donna,
im sure you will find lots of support here.....best to ya.......Linda[8D]