PDA

View Full Version : SSRI damage

AGJ90
01-01-15, 15:16
I'm on 20mg Citalopram for anxiety and have been for a few years now. Can being on a drug like this cause problems? I'm young and healthy, but don't want my health to be ruined by a drug. You see people who take illegal drugs or anti psychotic meds and they look unhealthy. Can taking citalopram for years make you look like a drug addict and use up all your nutrients to metabolise this drug also perhaps damage liver?

Worried.

anthrokid
02-01-15, 22:15
No, citalopram will not cause the same effects as illegal drugs and anti-psychotic medication. They are completely different drug families. SSRIs have the least side-effects and the least prolonged-use effects out of the medications used to treat mental illness. You won't end up looking like a drug addict from long-term citalopram use.

debs71
03-01-15, 01:58
I have been on Escitalopram - the sister drug of Citalopram for over 10 years, on and off....mostly on!

I have seen no ill effects bar some weight gain, so absolutely NOTHING like what a Class A drug addict resembles!!!

It has never, ever dawned on me that my health would be damaged by taking meds, and I have seen no evidence of that at all. The benefits are worth taking them IMO.

MyNameIsTerry
03-01-15, 02:22
There are some that metabolise via the liver such as the SNRI Duloxetine hence alcohol should be avoided because it puts additional strain on the liver. So, dependant on the absorption type, there may be things to consider and discuss with your GP but as others have said, these are not like narcotics and older forms of treatment such as Benzodiazapenes which are now limited due to their effects.

Whilst Citalopram is metabolised by the liver, it has been studied in patients with existing mild to moderate renal impairment where they found there was no measurable impact. That's a really good indicator that those without renal impairment are safe.

I think you also need to remember that the people you mentioned may have many liturgical factors that are affecting their health ad well as the possibility of real physical health problems or part addictions with no connection to current anti depressant use.

AGJ90
03-01-15, 14:56
Thanks for the replies everyone :) put my mind at ease. My anxiety does benefit from taking citalopram, so it would be a pity if it was bad for me, which I don't think it is according to your replies and information I have read.

cattia
03-01-15, 19:59
Also remember that long term untreated stress and anxiety puts a huge strain on your body and your immune system, so even if there were any minor risks they are probably outweighed by the benefits of keeping your anxiety under control.

courierdude
03-01-15, 20:28
10 years on anti psychotics-sorry ssri's and no noticeable damage?

libido still intact? natural brain function ok?

that is extremely unhealthy lifestyle to advocate debs!

http://www.drugwatch.com/lexapro/

i would even look at the threads on here in the medication section for citalopram, escitalopram(same thing-rebranded due to license expiry) and have a look at the problems people have trying to get off these drugs.

seems the advantages of taking the quick fix do not outweigh the reality of trying to drop the addiction.

everyone recommends them but with no warning on a life long addiction to them.

cattia
03-01-15, 21:34
10 years on anti psychotics-sorry ssri's and no noticeable damage?

libido still intact? natural brain function ok?

that is extremely unhealthy lifestyle to advocate debs!

http://www.drugwatch.com/lexapro/

This is all about unwanted side effects, if she's been taking the drug for ten years presumably these haven't been an issue. The most concerning aspect of this is the risk of birth defects. Myself I wouldn't take anti depressants whilst pregnant, however I have reached this myself in the past and actually, although there is an increased risk of heart problems for unborn children with SSRI s, the risk is still really really small. There are also proven risks where pregnant women have untreated mental health problems. I'm not a total drug advocate and I do believe in thorough research but websites like this are just scaremongering in my opinion.

courierdude
03-01-15, 22:11
yes, the stories of withdrawing and relapsing and going through hell to get of these drugs are far more terrifying than the side effects.
but people on here are actually congratulating others for taking the plunge into pharmaceuticals-with very little warning of having to pop pills for the next 10 years with little chance of escape.

how is that not detrimental to your health? how is that not a side effect.

they will wreck you at the beginning and they will wreck you when you dont want them no more....and they will drain you of life for the bit in between. ...but some people get so use to it that they dont even notice and are maybe not very aware when singing the virtues of antipsychotic medication-lets not avoid saying what they really are regardless of brand names.

Fishmanpa
03-01-15, 22:43
yes, the stories of withdrawing and relapsing and going through hell to get of these drugs are far more terrifying than the side effects.
but people on here are actually congratulating others for taking the plunge into pharmaceuticals-with very little warning of having to pop pills for the next 10 years with little chance of escape.

how is that not detrimental to your health? how is that not a side effect.

they will wreck you at the beginning and they will wreck you when you dont want them no more....and they will drain you of life for the bit in between. ...but some people get so use to it that they dont even notice and are maybe not very aware when singing the virtues of antipsychotic medication-lets not avoid saying what they really are regardless of brand names.

Your opinion of psychotropics on several threads lately is duly noted. You're certainly entitled to your feelings and opinions of which you're quite passionate about. The same opinion can be made about cancer meds but I'm alive due to them despite the side effects, cost and profits made on them by the big pharm companies. I feel at this point to continue to bash meds, discouraging others and incite fear is unwarranted.

Positive thoughts

honeycakes
03-01-15, 22:55

By what logic are you even claiming that being on this type of medication will drain you of LIFE when you are on it? What are your sources? Do you even have any idea what people suffer through before taking medication and what benefits they get from it? You sound like someone that has really no educated idea as to what you are even saying (I'm putting it kindly).

"Side effects" experienced when you start taking ANY type of medication be it an AD or something that cures a disease, are to be expected while your body gets used to digesting and metabolizing it.

Coming off medication that you've taken a long time to help with anxiety, depression or any other type of disease will also take some adjustments.

These side effects do not last. It's not like we learn to live with them and put up with them throughout the entire time we are on the meds.

Would you recommend someone not do chemotherapy to treat their cancer only because of the damage it will cause to their body?

courierdude
03-01-15, 23:39
how do you mean depression or any other disease? depression isnt a disease.

would i recommend that someone with cancer seek alternatives to conventional butchery? probably not but i wouldnt advise them to go through the butchery route and would seek definitely out an alternative remedy for myself.

what is AD? attention deficit disorder? that created condition that gets little kids onto psychotropic drugs?

why is it that when someone has an alternative opinion that they get jumped on by the hoards?

the OP is worried about long term use-im saying yes-be worried and get off it while you can. perfectly reasonable-just because it is contrary to your own beliefs doesnt mean that it is wrong to say to someone.

if warning a blind person that they are about to walk under a bus in inciting fear then i am guilty.

of course i am bashing ssri's because they are completely detrimental to humankind.

regarding side effects and draining you of life-well i suggest that you put your partner on ssri's for a while and tell me that they are the same person and not a shadow of their former self.

i am absolutely surprised by the drug use on here.

mothers little helpers right...

the effects of long term ssri use do last, its just that you stop to notice them. do you never play the spot the who is on prozac game?

Gotagetthroughthis
04-01-15, 02:49

would i recommend that someone with cancer seek alternatives to conventional butchery? probably not but i wouldnt advise them to go through the butchery route and would seek definitely out an alternative remedy for myself.

what is AD? attention deficit disorder? that created condition that gets little kids onto psychotropic drugs?

why is it that when someone has an alternative opinion that they get jumped on by the hoards?

the OP is worried about long term use-im saying yes-be worried and get off it while you can. perfectly reasonable-just because it is contrary to your own beliefs doesnt mean that it is wrong to say to someone.

if warning a blind person that they are about to walk under a bus in inciting fear then i am guilty.

of course i am bashing ssri's because they are completely detrimental to humankind.

regarding side effects and draining you of life-well i suggest that you put your partner on ssri's for a while and tell me that they are the same person and not a shadow of their former self.

the effects of long term ssri use do last, its just that you stop to notice them. do you never play the spot the who is on prozac game?

I have much the same opinion as you on these issues now after trying various anti depressants and reading a lot about these medications. I always say go the natural route if possible. But at the same time when I see posts on here from people worried about the use of the medication and the damage they may cause I either don't say anything or try and put it to them gently, because these medications may do damage but also may help their mental state in a time of need.

I do believe most of the anti depressants do damage to the body and brain when used long term, but I also believe some of them can actually help somewhat with anxiety and depression, so its weighing up the good with the bad.

But like you say if you have an alternative opinion and a negative opinion about a anti depressants on a site where lots of people are using them and believe in them then you are likely to get shot down.

SADnomore
04-01-15, 03:39
I agree with FMP. There are a number of fear-mongering websites out there, which will turn up outside of this site in any simple search online. These are often connected to sales of some sort of 'withdrawal" herbals, etc., and thus have their own mandate.

No More Panic has a mandate to support those who have panic attacks, anxiety and/or depression. Many of us are prescribed medications by our doctors in an effort to help our health, be it physical or mental health. I have to say it seems to me that most on here are usually trying to reduce their medications as soon as they can, and to try to manage without them unless absolutely necessary. All that the rest of us can do is to try to share our own personal experience, and to support others, including encouraging them to seek professional medical opinions in all their decisions, because that is really important. If they don't feel comfortable trusting their doctors, then someone usually suggests they find another physician or practice.

As has often been said here, without any real training or background in medicine, and knowing very little about the poster's situation and physical and mental health, it is not appropriate for us to advise them specifically.

honeycakes
04-01-15, 04:14

AD = antidepressant, something you take when you experience a depression type disorder, which can be very dangerous and harmful, as you may or may not know, some people will attempt to end their lives and will succeed.

ADD = attention deficit disorder, which is something I do think everyone has gone overboard diagnosing every child with and I don't think it's something children should be medicated for.

depression or another disease = I mean disorder or disease, English is not my first language and I didn't reread myself. Schzophrenia, manic depressive, bipolar, etc, are mood related disorders that need drug assistance, they can cause a lot of harm to one's life or the people surrounding that person.

since you think people who have cancer should not be treated for it, that broken arms heal by themselves, that a life on drugs is a life of misery, and that "natural" is the only way, I can't afford to take you seriously or even bother replying to you any longer.

PS. you keep pointing to the same article over and over again when you have got to know we could find millions pointing you in the opposite direction. you have no idea the harm you could cause to people who really need help and support on this site.

Fishmanpa
04-01-15, 04:18
depression isnt a disease.

I watched depression destroy my first wife and mother of my children. Postpartum depression manifested itself into full blown SDD and hoarding (yes, like you see on TV and I have pics to prove it). It affected our marriage to the point of breaking. We went to counseling and the therapist wanted to see us separately. She wanted her to take meds and she refused and stopped going to therapy shortly thereafter. Her not doing anything to help herself effectively ended the marriage. To see someone you knew and loved turn into someone you didn't recognize was an awful thing to endure. I stayed and watched it destroy her, the marriage and family for close to five years. To me? it was an illness. An awful, ugly illness. It took someone I knew as beautiful, intelligent and loving and turned her into someone I didn't know at all.

For me, after having had a heart attack and bypass at 47 years old, depression was something I had not personally felt before but I recognized from my experience I was hurting and spoke to my doctor who prescribed meds and referred me for therapy. It was a tool in conjunction with therapy. I wasn't myself and the meds helped bring some normalcy back into my life. And yes, to me it's a real illness, a chemical imbalance caused by various physical and environmental factors.

I won't get into a debate on this subject but I've seen what depression does first hand and have experienced it personally. I've also been on a course of SSRI's (Zoloft) for 6 months while treating it along with therapy. For me personally, it helped me through a rough time. I did have side effects as in some digestive/bowel issues but the benefits outweighed the negatives. I would prefer not taking them again but would if I needed to.

And now? I have a non SSRI "chill pill" that helps when "scanxiety" rears it's head. I've only had to use it a few times but I'm glad to have it if needed.

Long story short? You make the call AG. There are benefits and negatives to many medications including SSRIs. But to make a blanket negative conclusion is not prudent until you've discussed it thoroughly with your doctor. Contrary to the negativity voiced about the medical profession and pharmaceuticals, There are also many more positives that can be concluded.

Positive thoughts

honeycakes
04-01-15, 04:30
I watched depression destroy my first wife and mother of my children. Postpartum depression manifested itself into full blown SDD and hoarding (yes, like you see on TV and I have pics to prove it). It affected our marriage to the point of breaking. We went to counseling and the therapist wanted to see us separately. She wanted her to take meds and she refused and stopped going to therapy shortly thereafter. Her not doing anything to help herself effectively ended the marriage. To see someone you knew and loved turn into someone you didn't recognize was an awful thing to endure. I stayed and watched it destroy her, the marriage and family for close to five years. To me? it was an illness. An awful, ugly illness. It took someone I knew as beautiful, intelligent and loving and turned her into someone I didn't know at all.

For me, after having had a heart attack and bypass at 47 years old, depression was something I had not personally felt before but I recognized from my experience I was hurting and spoke to my doctor who prescribed meds and referred me for therapy. It was a tool in conjunction with therapy. I wasn't myself and the meds helped bring some normalcy back into my life. And yes, to me it's a real illness, a chemical imbalance caused by various physical and environmental factors.

I won't get into a debate on this subject but I've seen what depression does first hand and have experienced it personally. I've also been on a course of SSRI's (Zoloft) for 6 months while treating it along with therapy. For me personally, it helped me through a rough time. I did have side effects as in some digestive/bowel issues but the benefits outweighed the negatives. I would prefer not taking them again but would if I needed to.

And now? I have a non SSRI "chill pill" that helps when "scanxiety" rears it's head. I've only had to use it a few times but I'm glad to have it if needed.

Long story short? You make the call AG. There are benefits and negatives to many medications including SSRIs. But to make a blanket negative conclusion is not prudent until you've discussed it thoroughly with your doctor. Contrary to the negativity voiced about the medical profession and pharmaceuticals, There are also many more positives that can be concluded.

Positive thoughts

My mother suffered from depression her entire life. I feel for you and for what you went through with your wife.

To me, it really does feel like a "disease".

Mostly I am sad though, because I know several people with a condition like hers who lead normal lives. We have missed out on a lifetime of memories her and I.

Also, as a consequence of growing up in a very unstable environment, I suffer from anxiety myself and have had a really tough childhood.

These things should not be taken lightly...

MyNameIsTerry
04-01-15, 08:07
I think this has been covered by the mods on 2 other thread now.

I'm not pro med, but I never discount them because we have a system which doesn't let much support so you can be left pretty much alone to very through this and sometimes meds can help to get you through a tough time to a place where you can make a better choice for yourself.

I think the 'big pharma profit making' isn't the best defence here when, with respect, you are advocating the use of beta blockers which are made for a profit by? Surely you should be selling the natural only route if the issue is drug companies? They do the same with all meds.

AGJ90
04-01-15, 10:34
courierdude where do you get your evidence from that SSRI meds are bad for your health? what clinical evidence do you have? are you a professor or medical doctor? even doctors have opinions which are not correct. Your opinion is sadly just your opinion and not a well known phenomenon in the medical arena.

If I took your advice and stopped my meds I would therefore have increased anxiety and more frequent panic attacks and likely be agoraphobic and scared to go outside. Is it your clinical opinion that I should stop them and shut myself inside the rest of my life? I respect your view, but I think your just one of these people that has read something on the internet and been a bit brainwashed and not considered the source of what your reading or who-even wrote it.

courierdude
04-01-15, 13:52
hey you know what?

enjoy your little pills!

go ask a chemist where i get my evidence from. you are a guinea pig mate. you think that your pills are safe because they have been prescribed by a doctor? do you think that your doctor understands how 'efficient or not' that your pills are? i can tell that he'll probably know how random and unpredictable they are, because your doctor cannot measure your brain chemistry, he cannot measure the effect of the ssri on your brain chemistry so everything he is prescribing is a non liable guess.

AG dont try to start "thinking" things about me please otherwise i might have to tell you what i think about you ok and we're not here to make anyone nervous or cause anxiety or offend anyone ok? you will get away with it-bias. i will be banned.

and mate... you are on ssri and youre telling me that i am brainwashed? really?!

seriously-keep up that good work of recommending the 18 year olds on here that ssri's are 'normal'.

and think of the 15 year olds who just split up with their 1st boyfriend who are not even a member on here but just browse and now needs ssri because you guys advocate its use so openly and discourage any discussion about its detriment.

im not sure if you are eating smarties or ssri's guys, but you are doing a great job of advertising them and its sad to see how strongly people will defend a stupid little pill.

lets hope that none of your kids are influenced by your pill disorders right, because they might just intentionally develop symptoms like yours just to take a pill like you. it has been known.

meanwhile-enjoy : )

funny how you criticise the use of meds against kiddies who are diagnosed ADD but quite happily chug pills all day yourself honeyflakes. alright for you but not for them? do you share the same attitude towards cakes and kids too?

Pipkin
04-01-15, 14:45
No-one is deterring discussions about the detrimental effects of medication - this was in fact the question posed by the OP. We need balanced views which are based either on personal experience (and stated as such) or links to verifiable evidence that back up claims.

It seems that to some people, things are very black and white and as they (correctly) observe, SSRIs have side effects of varying degrees of severity and they have not been around for as long as other meds so very long-term use isn't fully understood, ergo they make an illogical leap to the opinion that they're all dangerous and shouldn't be taken.

Clearly, the mature approach to any treatment, medication or otherwise, is to assess the benefits and risks as best you can with the help of medical professionals, the personal experience of others and sound research, and then to make an informed decision about the harm vs benefit ratio. For example, SSRIs are known to have sexual side effects. Some will decide that that particular risk outweighs any potential benefit and will not take them. Others may decide that the chance that they could ease anxiety and depression is more important.

I take neither a pro- or anti-drug stance. I believe in individual and informed choice. To dismiss a whole class of drugs based on some negative research findings (many of which I find unsound but I'll ignore that for now) and to dismiss off hand the greater number of positive findings (some of which I also find unsound but I'll ignore that too) is neither logical or in anyone's best interests.

Before I say my final word on this matter as I am a little tired of the subject (and this is not bowing to those who take the medication, but ensuring that those who are unsure of which path to take get a balanced view of all options), I would like to share something. I am as certain as I can be that were it not for SSRIs, at least two of my friends would no longer be alive. This is my subjective view and doesn't give carte blanche to accuse me of saying drugs are right for everyone. Regardless of the financial motivations of pharmaceutical companies which are obvious, I'm glad they developed these particular drugs because, on a personal level, I still have my two friends and my own quality of life has improved after nearly 40 years of absolute misery.

Pip

AGJ90
04-01-15, 14:45
^^ Wow. I'm a bit taken a back as I was expecting an in-depth intelligent reply from you. It seems as if your just an angry person. I wasn't having a go at you, I was just wanting to know the clinical source of your information. You basically avoided all my questions and just took a very defensive stance. You just seem to be attacking everyone's opinions on here. Just because you hold a strong opinion doesn't mean its true and therefore everyone else is clueless.

courierdude
04-01-15, 15:29
AG-anyone can do their own research on ssri's if they are interested.
you are asking me go reference every psychopharmacology book ive ever read basically.

your doctor is basically in an administrative position and people very often confuse this role as being that of a medical expert.

im not attacking anyone and i havnt said that i think anyone is clueless. i havnt even implied that.

i am saying that there is a bias towards ssri use and that any remarks i make against the popular opinion are completely shadowed by the majority view.

that is fine-most of you advocate the use of ssri's. that is a societal issue. you are all in the same pond that think chemical assistance is an acceptable way to get through your day. that is fine. i understand.

i am saying that most people on here have a big problem accepting an alternative perspective. thats fine. i dont mind being attacked for it.

my opinion is as valid anyone elses.

im practically addressing a group of drunks about the dangers of becoming an alcoholic.

it is ssri users that are defensive and understand that also because you need t believe in your drug.

if your doctor prescribed bananas then you would all be talking about bananas basically and saying how wonderful bananas are.

you take ssri's on the advice of an administrator-not a qualified expert.

i dont have a strong opinion on this subject no, i have a fixed opinion the same way that it is my fixed opinion that it probably isnt a good idea to drink bleach, and that isnt going to change.

ssri's have been developed as antipsychotics. that is a fact. they are not suitable for treating people with anxiety issues. go ask your doctor.

debs71
04-01-15, 15:34
^^ Wow. I'm a bit taken a back as I was expecting an in-depth intelligent reply from you. It seems as if your just an angry person. I wasn't having a go at you, I was just wanting to know the clinical source of your information. You basically avoided all my questions and just took a very defensive stance. You just seem to be attacking everyone's opinions on here. Just because you hold a strong opinion doesn't mean its true and therefore everyone else is clueless.

Hi again,

I am very sorry your query/thread has (again) been deviated by this whole debate about meds, AGJ90.

For the record, I do not feel that I advocated anything in my post. Advocating is arguing in favour of something. I didnt argue a thing. I simply tried to answer your question based on my personal experience of SSRI's over a 10 year period, which was that I personally experienced no side effects. NOWHERE did I state that because of that, everyone should do as I do. You have an absolute free choice to decide if you want to remain on Cit if you feel the benefits outweigh your worry of any physical risks, or alternatively to decide you would rather fight your anxiety without medicinal help.

I just wanted to add my comment as someone who has not experienced 'libido issues' or any other detrimental effects that are noticeable.

I hope very much that the relentless debates on numerous threads here lately about 'the evils of meds' has not worried or confused you further.

Best wishes to you. :hugs:

AGJ90
04-01-15, 15:37
Hi :)

No problem. I wasn't the one that mentioned you were advocating anything. You answered based on your experience with the drug which is what I wanted :)

Pipkin
04-01-15, 15:38
im practically addressing a group of drunks about the dangers of becoming an alcoholic.

if your doctor prescribed bananas then you would all be talking about bananas basically and saying how wonderful bananas are.

I find these statements exceptionally disrespectful, ignorant and plain offensive. This is nothing to do with your opinion on the subject, just your basic lack of respect for others.

For the last time, please stop posting such comments.

Pip

debs71
04-01-15, 15:41
Hi :)

No problem. I wasn't the one that mentioned you were advocating anything. You answered based on your experience with the drug which is what I wanted :)

Sorry AG!

Yep, I know that you didn't mention the 'advocation' thing, sorry if it came across that way. I mentioned that in my post just to clarify things to certain protagonists here, as I do not wish to get embroiled in further argumentative nonsense with others. I realise it is a fruitless task and on a hiding to nothing!

I hope that you find some answers helpful here. :)

jimsmrs
04-01-15, 15:57
Can't believe courierdude is at it again spouting his bile. You are so irritating courierdude:mad:

courierdude
04-01-15, 16:01
sorry-but i wasnt implying that ssri's are drunks-just that you are all chemically altered. that is fair to say no? altered.
i havnt deviated anything for AG. i answered a question that he posed and that is all.

to answer again, yes they can be detrimental to your health, who knows what effect they have on your physical appearance-except that they make you less emotionally expressive, a prozac smile is a bit of a fake smile. try deny it and youre in denial.

you have 2 friends still here pipkin thanks to the wonder drugs? that isnt really a fact thought is it? you dont know which way that couldve gone without ssri's. but if you think you know the outcome then im happy for you to know that. please can you advise me, i need some help picking lottery numbers : )

the stats for ssri related suicide are in court rooms all over the western world though.

i dont jump on other peoples opinions or comments. try to pay me the say courtesy and we wouldnt even being having these long drawn out deviating threads.

next time someonen says "well done, you decided to take meds" am i not allowed to say " personally i think you are crazy!" //see how it works here! thats how it is.

bile? that was constructive! lay off the meds maybe?

AGJ90
04-01-15, 16:11
^ I respect your views on SSRI medication, but instead of saying "personally I think your crazy" or a similar themed saying, you could have just said - "Personally they aren't for me as they could be damaging and I don't like the thought of these types of drugs being in me" if you had said it like that I'm sure no one would have a problem.

Its just sometimes the way people say things that make all the difference. Saying things like I'm a guinea pig and all that kind of stuff is just a bit heavy and scaremongering.

venusbluejeans
04-01-15, 16:24
everyone respects each others views on here, everyone is different on here, they react differently to different and it is personal opinion if you take them or now and there are many on here that chose not to and many that chose to take them.

It is how you are making your point rather than the point you are making that is winding people up, so now you have made your point please calm your posts and remove yourself from the thread

anthrokid
05-01-15, 08:13
I'm sorry that your thread has been turned into a bit of a debate, AGJ90. You are not a guinea pig, and just because you are taking an SSRI now, does not mean that you will have to be on them for the next 10 years. I don't want to get involved in this argument, I just want to make sure you are still feeling okay after some of those negative assumptions about medication were thrown about :)

cattia
05-01-15, 19:21
Maybe one of the reasons why SSRIs 'seem' to be popular on this board is because society in general has a pretty negative view of them, unless people have suffered from mental health issues themselves, they generally think that taking pills isn't the answer. I have heard people say that it's a sign of weakness, that it is masking the real problem, that it changes your personality, all kinds of things. The majority of people here who have taken them haven't had that experience. For me personally, I have been medication free for almost ten years. I prefer to use alternative methods. I have used counselling, acupuncture, hypnosis and diet with varying effects. However at the times in my life when my mental health has been in real crisis, I have used medication and it has had a hugely positive effect on me. It has enabled me to get to a place where I could safely reduce and come off it and get myself in a better space.
There is certainly evidence that long term use of medication can be harmful for some people. I believe it can increase suicidal feelings in some people for example, but untreated depression carries a far greater suicide risk. Making an informed individual decision is the only way forward, and this has to at least in part be based on your own experiences. If the medication works for you and gives you a better quality of life than you had without it, then who's to say that you shouldn't use it?

courierdude
06-01-15, 01:31
" untreated depression carries a far greater suicide risk"

you just made that up : )

in no way is that true mate!

how many people have gone undiagnosed or misdiagnosed etc...? you have just invented a 'statistic' of your own creation! now someone will read it and think that they might suicide if they dont chug some pills : /

tut tut naughty : )

i think doing star jumps in flip flops is better than anything that you guys have to say : )

Fishmanpa
06-01-15, 02:54

how many people have gone undiagnosed or misdiagnosed etc...? you have just invented a 'statistic' of your own creation! now someone will read it and think that they might suicide if they dont chug some pills : /

i think doing star jumps in flip flops is better than anything that you guys have to say : )

Might want to do some research... (http://samaritansnh.org/suicide-facts-figures) Just one of many that correlate this statistic.

Positive thoughts

honeycakes
06-01-15, 03:59

it's funny you say she's making stuff up when it's clearly you that's talking nonsense.

and why do you constantly talk down to us, and patronize us or mock us? do you expect people to like you or appreciate you when you treat us like that?

she said depression, when untreated, is riskier in terms of people wanting to commit suicide vs. people commiting suicide because they are on drugs.

there are so many factors to counter in, and none of it has to do with people who are misdiagnosed. we're not talking about people who are misdiagnosed. we're saying depression vs. treated depression.

& being aided by medication, whether it be for 6 months, 1 year, helps and can save lives. and when you're back on track, you get therapy and get better and off the meds.

look up statistics of people commiting suicide vs. people commiting suicide because they took an SSRI specfically... i'd love to know in what kind of controled environment people commited suicide and how it can be proven it was because of the drug, and it wasn't that they were feeling shit before taking them and the drug just wasn't helping. you can't just classify it all and blame the drugs as easily as that. i read about people taking 3 different types of drugs on a daily. most here only take 1 & not long term.

you have people taking drugs, continuing to drink heavily and not trying to help themselves at all. I had a friend who was rock bottom & wanting to commit suicide, get on pills, and she just used them to turn herself numb, and overdosed. she wanted to die before. she saw the pills as a way to get to her means. its not the pills that made her want to commit suicide. when she was treated and see by a specialist, she got better surely, and now she takes anxiety medicine like she should, calmed down the alcohol, goes to the gym, and feels a lot better.

it's not always black & white. maildude. (i figured, since you keep calling me honeyflake). :)

courierdude
06-01-15, 12:38
most people who live with depression probably are not even aware of it, it is just the way that they are, they have no need to treat or suppress it because they are used to it or they dont know any different.

to say that untreated depression carries a far greater suicide risk is complete and total fear mongering and factually very very wrong.

so obviously i am not allowed to mention the risks that are increased by taking ssri's because that wouldnt be warning that would be scaring right? sure.

get it?-thats all i was pointing out.

Fishmanpa
06-01-15, 13:26
...why do you constantly talk down to us, and patronize us or mock us? do you expect people to like you or appreciate you when you treat us like that?...

At this point I have to agree with this. It seems you're just trying to wind things up with the tone of your replies on the subject as well as unsubstantiated claims. Other than your "passion" for this particular subject, I don't understand the motivation or reasons behind your participation.

Food for thought perhaps?

Positive thoughts

courierdude
06-01-15, 15:44
im not trying to wind anyone up. i dont feel passionate about this subject as i doubt that neither do any of you guys, but we keep replying to each other on the subject.
someone addressed a post to me so thought it rude to not reply.

i havnt talked down to anyone.

i assert my views as do you all.

someone said basically that there are less suicides as a result of ssri use, no? i said that that is immeasurable and just creating another fictitious use of ssri.

you just cant make up up stuff like that-someone else might believe you and you might even believe it yourself, but it doesnt make it true.

i read your stats on the samariatans link you posted but it doesnt mean much-there are far too many missing variables.

im sorry how you feel i come across but that is a perception issue and maybe something not translatable through posts on a forum.

i dont feel bad when i read your replies, i just feel a little sad that people have to make things up that sound convenient to defend their 'medication'.

a psychtropic antipsychotic.

mikewales
06-01-15, 16:26
"most people who live with depression probably are not even aware of it, it is just the way that they are, they have no need to treat or suppress it because they are used to it or they dont know any differen"

This can only be stated by someone with no experience of depression ! Depression isn't about 'feeling a bit down' or 'a bit miserable'. Clinical depression is an all consuming thing that takes over your entire life, and anyone who has suffered with it knew damn well they had it at the time.

courierdude
06-01-15, 16:35
sure mike-but i am 'guessing' that there are more people that live with depression and just get by with it than those that tell the doctor about it.

i was diagnosed with depression at 13 years old and i never even considered it. i have had health professionals from psychologists to doctors who tell me that i suffer with depression but i seriously think that it is a joke.

i dont feel 'a bit down' or down at any level and i can pick myself very easily.

even something like being shy is considered a treatable illness these days and not just a facet of personality, so im not so certain how many cases of depression are actually misdiagnosed. consultants misdiagnose cancers even. <<personal experience.

speaking as someone who 'has' depression-i "damn well" dont know it : )

you know that 'they' predict that by 2020 depression will be the 2nd most common illness in the western world after heart disease?

there are 10 times many more people born after 1945 who have depression than those born before 1945. this is evidence that depression is not caused by a chemical imbalance as human genes do not develop so quickly.

...isnt that the reason that many people believe ssri to be the corrective drug of choice?

Primula
06-01-15, 16:56
I agree Mike, if you have experienced anxiety or depression the way some of us had, you would definately know about it. Six months ago I was so overcome with anxiety I could barely function. I do take SSRI's, and I have also tried CBT and Mindfulness which have been very helpful. Taking AD's was a last resort for me,and I resisted for many years, but I could not go on with the half life I was living. I do not feel I have a "prozac" smile as was previously said. I remember what life was like before I took AD's, and I still have the same belly laughs and emotions. I'm aware of the downsides of taking them, but to me they are an acceptable trade off.

I know they are not ideal, but they have been around for 25 years or so, and I would have thought serious side effects would have been noticed by now. Lots of things we do are not great, but unless you have experienced the terrible despair and fear, then you are not qualified to comment.