PDA

View Full Version : How should I be breathing

Southboyuk
02-01-15, 14:24
Hi all,

I'm new here so I hope I'm in the right place. Last month I had my first major panic attack. I genuinely thought I was dying so paramedics were called and they helped manage my breathing.

I've not had one since but last night I had the heart plummeting I experienced the first time and I haven't been able to breathe since. I finally got some sleep at around 8:30am. I have a new job Monday and I'm terrified this is going to impact it.

A couple of questions: most websites say attacks will usually peak within 10 minutes. Is struggling to breathe for 16+ hours normal? My chest is very tight and I feel like I can't get enough oxygen.

Also, how SHOULD I be breathing? The advice is confusing. Long, deep breathe in and out? Short intake of breathe and long out?

Thanks for any help you're able to give. I'm not sure how I'm going to live with this if it continues.

lukeneal26
02-01-15, 16:27
stop and breath in and out and just try and control it I know how hard it is when your in a full blown panic but a panic attack will never kill you :) I had one once in the middle of a shopping centre and couldn't even walk it was that bad

Mummygems
02-01-15, 21:51
Breath in through nose for 7 seconds and out through mouth for 11 seconds.

I have experienced the breathing problem with my anxiety and I have to make myself yawn to make it feel as though I'm taking in enough air.

The breathing exercise above should help.

courierdude
02-01-15, 21:56
breath into your stomach and not your chest. long deep breaths into the stomach instead of short sharp breaths into your chest.