PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks making me unwell

sandie
09-01-07, 09:18
I posted yesterday that I was feeling really low, and tearful, and that hasn't changed. I'm sleeping OK - and without the use of sleepers. But the panic attacks are back - they'd been pretty much under control with the propanalol (which I have been using sensibly - although I'm prescribed 3 x 40 mg per day, I have days when I use less.)

But the adrenaline is increasing again, as are the chest pains and burning. I've started to feel tense and shivery again - not all the time, but it's creeping into my life again. For 2 mornings running now, as soon as I wake up I feel the heart beating very fast and the adrenaline beginning to make its presence felt.

Yesterday I tried to listen to my 3 Hypnosis Tapes. The third one "Positive Thinking", was completely spoiled by the fact that my heart was beating fast, I couldn't get my breathing right and my thoughts were racing elsewhere. I feel as though the progress I've made in the last month is just melting away.

If I was sleeping badly (and those who know my posts will recall how DREADFUL my sleep was), I could understand some of it. But I'm sleeping quite well - at least 6 hours last night which is brilliant.

There were a couple of incidents at the weekend - nothing major, but both served to remind me of the difficult times we still have to face. But even allowing for this, our lives have improved SO MUCH since the end of October when our problems began and my panic attacks started.

I've never been an ill person before; thankfully I've never had to rely on meds of any sort. But the chest pain is awful - it's with me all the time and I've started to wonder if it's heartburn. Can this result from anxiety?? I eat fairly healthily (not excessive spicy foods or alcohol). I limit caffiene, I'm certainly not overweight and exercise OK. I've noticed that the adrenaline means that I now use the loo more regularly (I'm certainly not constipated!!!). I can vaguely recall having heartburn when I was in the very late stages of pregnancy over 22 years ago - but this doesn't feel quite like that.

I hate feeling so "unwell".

Sandie

jo61
09-01-07, 09:29
Hi SAndie, sorry to hear you're feeling so unwell at the moment. I can understand why the hypnosis tapes are difficult to handle at the moment. Would you consider some regular relaxation exercises instead? When you're anxious or panicky it's hard to concentrate. You're doing everything you can to get through this and it will pass but I know it's hard to believe that at the moment.

The fact you're sleeping is really positive and keep hold of that. I know you struggled with sleep in the past.

Take care and keep in touch.

Love Jo xx