PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for medication? Will I be a zombie?

MargaretHale
03-01-15, 00:18
So I've been battling this anxiety and mild depression for a few years. GP has been thoroughly unhelpful, the first one didn't even look at me, she just wrote a prescription for Citalopram and I threw it in the bin. In 2013 my new GP referred me for CBT because I was adamant that I wanted to try mind rather than medication. So over a year later I finally had contact from my local MH trust and they offered CBT online. It was rubbish, like a chat room from the 90s. I rang them and told them it wasn't fit for purpose. They put me to the back of the queue and I fought that and got my place back in the list for CBT. Thankfully, Mind were amazing and I saw a great counsellor for a year, only once or twice a month and I completed 'Beating the blues' which I found pretty unhelpful but I felt that I'd made progress.
I've had physical health issues recently, and my anxiety has returned big time I'm also peri-menopausal which frequently causes anxiety too.

Should I just give in and try medication? I'm terrified because I have a toddler at home with me and my husband works full time, I'm frightened that it might knock me out or make me lose my faculties (I know, I'm an idiot) but I like being in control, I don't even like to drink so it scares me silly.

I just don't think that I can cope with this constant crushing anxiety for much longer. I have no life, my agoraphobia is horrendous.

Anyone?

courierdude
03-01-15, 00:52
im not a fan of using medication but if you feel like you really need a break then i would say to go on a course or propranalol for 6 months or so.

if you do a low dosage of 20mg a day you are not going to turn into a zombie and you wont feel any side effects.

it is an old drug that is well proven and there are no real health risks. much safer than most other products on the market.

i took them for 6 months and started reducing my dose and weening myself off them after about 4 months. i didnt have a panic or anxiety issue for over 10 years after.

i would not go down the ssri route as they can be and usually are seriously mood altering.

as i said, i wouldnt recommend anyone take meds for anxiety if they can actually acknowledge what it is, but if its justs draining you and driving you into the ground try a small dose propanalol and you wont even notice it until you need it to work.

Pipkin
03-01-15, 01:32
im not a fan of using medication but if you feel like you really need a break then i would say to go on a course or propranalol for 6 months or so.

if you do a low dosage of 20mg a day you are not going to turn into a zombie and you wont feel any side effects.

it is an old drug that is well proven and there are no real health risks. much safer than most other products on the market.

i took them for 6 months and started reducing my dose and weening myself off them after about 4 months. i didnt have a panic or anxiety issue for over 10 years after.

i would not go down the ssri route as they can be and usually are seriously mood altering.

as i said, i wouldnt recommend anyone take meds for anxiety if they can actually acknowledge what it is, but if its justs draining you and driving you into the ground try a small dose propanalol and you wont even notice it until you need it to work.

Decisions about appropriate treatment should be made with medical professionals. SSRIs can be enormously helpful for some people and at the correct dosage don't turn you into a zombie. Besides, medication certainly isn't limited to beta blockers and SSRIs.

Margaret - my advice, discuss the different options with your GP, some of which may include medication.

Pip

debs71
03-01-15, 01:48
Decisions about appropriate treatment should be made with medical professionals. SSRIs can be enormously helpful for some people and at the correct dosage don't turn you into a zombie. Besides, medication certainly isn't limited to beta blockers and SSRIs.

Margaret - my advice, discuss the different options with your GP, some of which may include medication.

Pip

I couldn't agree more.

Meds are a subjective subject. Not all are suitable for everyone, and a broad-sweeping statement about SSRI's is unhelpful IMO. Incidentally Margaret, I have been on an SSRI - Escitalopram - for over 10 years on and off, and it has helped me immensely with my depression, anxiety and panic attacks, and I am no zombie on it. Yes, on first starting it I felt sleepy as a side effect, but not since.

As for 'Mood altering'?? Umm, that's the idea, isn't it?

There are a lot of scare stories and demonisation of meds and SSRI's in particular, most of whch is utter tripe, because response to meds is about the individual experience.

I agree that discussing your options with a professional is required. You can even seek advice from MIND if you need to. They are extremely helpful with this kind of info.

courierdude
03-01-15, 02:02
sure pipkin, but your doctor isnt going to tell you about all the health risks and further mental health issues that can occur with the use of ssri's that are not associated with the use of beta blockers.

my partner works as a pharmacist and i have had it explained many many times about the intrusive interactions caused by ssri's, ssri's that do not occur with beta blockers.

beta blockers belong to a group of very old drugs that have a proven track record-whereas prozac users are still frequently committing suicide.

my advice is sound and it would only be for a doctor to assess someones health to decide that they are suitable to take beta blockers.

ssri's have somehow jumped through various loopholes to meet market regulations and requirements and have been very much been legitimised through the back door and in no way by evidence of safety or success of use.

doctors prescribe statins for people who just do not need them, so why entrust a 'professional' to do what is best for your health.

i was advising based on my own experiences and of that from a professional biologist who is working as a pharmacist. my opinion is not fact-but the facts surrounding the controversy around the mainstream use of ssri's are very much available for anyone who cares to avoid becoming a pharmaceutical companys guinea pig.

the scientific rationale for the use of prozac for example is akin to electro shock therapy but i cant imagine anyone on prozac queuing up to be slowly toasted!

the manufacturers of ssri's have absolutely no idea of the effects that their products have on your brain because there isnt even any measurable way that they can assess even how much product has how much effect on any individual brain.

ssri's are complete pot luck! -that is a fact!

if your doctor knows how to measure your brain chemistry then he might fully be able to competently prescribe an ssri for you-but he would never know how much to prescribe.

a massage has more positive effects on the brain than an ssri ever could.

MyNameIsTerry
03-01-15, 02:02
I took Citalopram the first time and they for not make me a zombie. I suffered insomnia in the side effect period, which is a known potential side effect, and I did suet terrible morning fatigue but that was due to the Zopiclone to get me through the insomnia and the fact my GP didn't follow the guidelines for how to use it (according the crisis team who told him to prescribe it).

I'm on Duloxetine now and I suspect this is having this effect on me bit not everyone using it is experiencing what I am and I suspect my sleep pattern issues are also impacting on how it works.

Your mental health services sound like mine a few years ago before a local charity stepped in. They could have given you computer based CBT within a matter of days... To wait all that time and be offered it sounds like a fob off, a disgraceful one.

Sadly, some GPs are like this. I've heard charities advise to use them to access Othery services that will help you if they are disinterested in helping, which means researching what you are entitled to or can gain access to.

Have you tried Mindfulness meditation?

courierdude
03-01-15, 02:06
a sweeping statement aboout ssri's is that they re unreliable, untested, untestable and dangerous, but that they are cheaply produced and the profits for the pharma companies is massive.

MyNameIsTerry
03-01-15, 02:12
sure pipkin, but your doctor isnt going to tell you about all the health risks and further mental health issues that can occur with the use of ssri's that are not associated with the use of beta blockers.

my partner works as a pharmacist and i have had it explained many many times about the intrusive interactions caused by ssri's, ssri's that do not occur with beta blockers.

beta blockers belong to a group of very old drugs that have a proven track record-whereas prozac users are still frequently committing suicide.

my advice is sound and it would only be for a doctor to assess someones health to decide that they are suitable to take beta blockers.

ssri's have somehow jumped through various loopholes to meet market regulations and requirements and have been very much been legitimised through the back door and in no way by evidence of safety or success of use.

doctors prescribe statins for people who just do not need them, so why entrust a 'professional' to do what is best for your health.

i was advising based on my own experiences and of that from a professional biologist who is working as a pharmacist. my opinion is not fact-but the facts surrounding the controversy around the mainstream use of ssri's are very much available for anyone who cares to avoid becoming a pharmaceutical companys guinea pig.

the scientific rationale for the use of prozac for example is akin to electro shock therapy but i cant imagine anyone on prozac queuing up to be slowly toasted!

the manufacturers of ssri's have absolutely no idea of the effects that their products have on your brain because there isnt even any measurable way that they can assess even how much product has how much effect on any individual brain.

ssri's are complete pot luck! -that is a fact!

if your doctor knows how to measure your brain chemistry then he might fully be able to competently prescribe an ssri for you-but he would never know how much to prescribe.

a massage has more positive effects on the brain than an ssri ever could.

You can give your opinion, but you can't claim to be basing it on professional experience by you or another party without NMP consent.

It's true that there are lots of concerns over GPs and mental health, which is a debate for separate thread really, but we could expand this into non dispensable options as there are plenty of people out there who would argue they are more appropriate than beta blockers... which also come from drug companies so we get into how much cheaper it would all be, back handers, blah blah, etc.

Its perhaps not helpful referencing electric shock treatment since there are forms of this which are actually successfully used for depression as well as brain wave stimulators.

Pipkin
03-01-15, 02:13
An objective view is important when giving advice, together with personal experience and any professional knowledge we may have. That way, members are in the best position to make considered and informed choices of their own. That is my aim when I try to steer a thread as I have here.

Remember, beta blockers work on physical symptoms, SSRIs etc. work on psychological symptoms and it's important to treat both as appropriate. That's why a medical professional is best placed to assess individuals' circumstances and recommend suitable treatment.

Pip

courierdude
03-01-15, 02:20
there is a greater risk of relapse with antidepressant medication has been discontinued.
Antidepressants have been found to cause neuronal damage and death in rodents, and they can cause involuntary, repetitive movements in humans.
Antidepressants may increase the risks of breast cancer, but may protect against brain cancers
Antidepressants may cause cognitive decline.
Antidepressants are associated with impaired gastrointestinal functioning.
Antidepressants cause sexual dysfunction and have adverse effects on sperm quality.
Antidepressant use is associated with developmental problems.
Antidepressant use is associated with an increased risk of abnormal bleeding and stroke.
Antidepressants are associated with an increased risk of death in older people.

if your doctor tells you all this then i'll go score some drugs off of him/her : )

..but doctors are not like that in the real world-they are much happier to scribble something down on a pad until the next time..

sorry but i cant voice my opinion without who's consent?

hahah i know we live under a dictatorship but really??

is this site owned by pfizer of something? why would anyone stop me from talking about medication on here? you guys suggest to people to tak ethese dangerous drugs all the time-i read it over and over without anyone being told off about it.

worse even is when i read people jumping from one drug to the next getting more and messed up each time with little thought as to what it is really doing to them as long as they can get a quick fix-and that is all ssri's are at best. i know people on prozac for 20 years. do you think anyone should be on mood enhancing drugs for 20 years from the same doctor surgery? really?

MyNameIsTerry
03-01-15, 02:26
That's just going to scare anyone that reads it.

If you are going to post the negatives, at least post the references so people can see what the studies actually say...and any later reviews that debunk them or reviews that oppose it.

courierdude
03-01-15, 02:32
people can listen to their softly spoken doctor if they need hypnotising terry.

you must be the first person in 60 odd years to advocate the use of electro shock therapy!

never ever has anyone ever been told that they are not PC about electro shock therapy before! hhahhaaa : )

people can find out everything that they want to about meds on the internet without any help from me.
the only positive incidents of ssri use are from people who dont know any better.

also i havnt offered any professional advice but i do have a lot of second hand information that may or may not be useful to people.

being informed is not about being scared, but being aware, and im not out to scare anyone.

sorry it comes across like that.

debbie can i ask how long you have been taking meds for?

Pipkin
03-01-15, 02:36
And to repeat myself, good advice is balanced and objective. No-one said any one treatment was perfect, just that medical professionals are best placed to advise on treatments.

A diatribe about the evils of Big Pharma is very interesting, just not at all helpful to Margaret, the OP, who is looking for support.

Btw, if we're sponsored by Pfizer, I'm afraid our cheque must have got lost in the post...

Pip

courierdude
03-01-15, 02:45
pipkin-there is no measurable way that the use of ssri's can ever be deemed suitable for purpose. that is a fact.

im not pretending to be a clever clogs wearing know it all.

ssri's are only used because they are available and have been licensed for use. if they licensed a cucumber for use against mental health problems then you would all be picking up cucumbers from your local pharmacist.

the phrase 'primum non nocere' means 'first no harm', and that if a doctor is going to have to cause you harm to treat you than it is better not to treat you... but they will happily see you addicted to a drug that should only be used in the short term and never with any guarantees of suitability or safety, thus potentially causing you harm.

anyone taking a prescribed ssri is basically an experiment.

MyNameIsTerry
03-01-15, 02:48
Really? That's strange since the form I am talking about is a late stage option for treatment of depression. My point is that a vague reference here can make people think you are referring to that as opposed to treatments from the asylums of yesteryear.

In response to Pipkin you qualified your advice based on the opinion of a medical professional that a beta blocker is superior to SSRI'S. Think of a doctor coming on here and saying this. People can believe it based on their medical background. The fact is that the owner of this website has a legal responsibility and wouldn't allow advice on that basis without approving that persons professional ability to do so. So, I view it the same, you are using the opinion of your partner to justify your advice to steer someone to a specific medication and I think that's going a bit to far.

Posting all the negatives is hardly useful, where is the full picture for the OP to make a judgment of? If you bias it like this, its to justify your original opinion as challenged by Pipkin, not to help the OP. To be fair you did say they could help but you don't agree with them but this later argument undermines this view.

Where is the proof that the only people to benefit from SSRI'S are ignorant?

courierdude
03-01-15, 03:26
terry i was comparing ssri's directly to the type of strap you down treatment used to fry people!

yes-i based my opinion on that given to me by a qualified professional that ssri's are very hit and miss and that beta blockers are entirely predictable. your doctor will confirm this.
the legal standing with regards to NMP should be in no way liable for something that a forum member voices into the public arena. i am not employed by or responsible to nmp and nor are they to me.
i think talking to people who talk about suicide might be a more precarious situation in which to offer advice, so just make sure that they are not on meds first or you'll have pfizer saying that you pushed them to it.

i dont have a positive image of ssri's terry. i am not a mean person and id much rather be in the bath than typing any of this, but i think society has been programmed to turn to this quick fix that can actually be detrimental to their lives in the short or long term when there are better alternatives in place.

imagine someone is drinking 2 litres of diet coke a day and they are getting depressed. the doctor will say here-drugs, not, do you drink 2 litres of diet coke a day?
and thats how they hand out ssri's. im uncertain of the incentives to do this other than this is how a doctor is programmed. that is literal and that is how you pass any exam-by playing the game, even if they know it is wrong. they are not liable for damages that they incur if they play by the rules and not for the common good.

i hear lots ofpeople recommend drugs to people and they talk of their own positive experience on here-you just did the very same. if she took that drug and suffered on it in the next 50 posts... not your fault? no, it wouldnt be... and nor would it be mine.

actually posting negatives is very useful. i wouldnt buy a certain car based on the negatives and i actually wouldnt care much what the positives were in such a case.

i didnt call anyone ignorant-i get what you are getting at but you have worded it quite specifically...but i was implying that people in general trust that there doctor is giving them something that is safe, suitable and beneficial for its purpose, but i keep saying, that is impossible for the people who designed the drug to know let alone your GP. it is impossible and a professional is just making a professional guess, and even worse, your doctor is reading from a manual produced by the very drug company that sells the drug!

i only wanted to say to the OP what i thought of propranalol and why i would never advise anyone to take ssri's. lots of people on this forum advise people to take ssri's and even congratulate them for it!

there seems to be a deep loyalty on here to them and im not interested in fighting it because it is a societal issue not confined to this forum.

i have to add, that the popularity of ssri's is not due to its suitability for its prescribed use but instead maybe to the level of marketing and distribution it receives.

diet coke is very very popular, as are cigarettes, but there isnt anything to suggest that they are beneficial for humanity.

except how nicotine is actually good for your memory : ) no wonder the government wants you to quit smoking while they rob us all : )

MyNameIsTerry
03-01-15, 03:27
Well then I am the same as you because I will happily disagree with the mods on here and have in the past.

From a legal perspective, they are responsible for content and have to be careful overt what we post. I'm sure they also have a moral perspective which they like to stick to.

I used the term ignorant because thats the correct term. They are ignorant of all the issues.

I think for me, I'm less concerned when people post about specific medications we have taken as long as we are not biased. People have to do some of their own research, but I try to keep this low given many may struggle to wade through it.

My issue is more when I hear about medical professionals because it can be used to sway people. I think we have to be careful in doing that.

I didn't speak of a positive experience of Citalopram, it wasn't pleasant to start on and it didn't it did much for me, the same with the Duloxetine I am now. My GP is a waste of space, a very typical example of an ignorant GP prescribing what he is told by the NHS. I agree with a lot of what you say regarding how they operate and as far as big pharma goes... thats just how the world has and always will work but let's give both sides, make it balanced.

I've never taken beta blockers, sure they are well studied, but for treatment of the film spectrum of anxiety and depression? Current medication is a messy maze we end up being guinea pigs in but if we want to stay away from mediation, there is a lot more top consider here that are shown to treat her disorders.

courierdude
03-01-15, 03:40
yeah i would say propranalol for any anxiety related condition.
i know in my case it was prescribed for my physical symptoms but just as bad as the physical symptoms were the periods inbetween when you are between one panic just ended and straight away spending the next however many hours waiting for the next, and propranalol alleviated that psychological apprehension also.

for propranalol to be used in different applications is no different from a doctor prescribing a drug that has only developed its application by observational 'evidence'.

maybe you are right though-i read anxiety and i think of adrenaline but thats not always the case i suppose.

anyway-nice discussing with you and i hope you can sleep through your drug induced insomnia, or at least that you have a nice movie or some knitting or taxidermy or whatever you late nighters get up to but i am in dire need of sleep : )

MyNameIsTerry
03-01-15, 04:42
Ah, no insomnia for me anymore, that was a side effect 8 years ago for me and anything since has been the anxiety, not great but better than being unable to sleep without another drug to counter at it.

A quick read shows that beta blockers work against epinephrine so that might explain why they worked for you for not only the panic attacks but the waiting period. Newer SSRI'S work with both serotonin and norepinephrine so perhaps these are a compromise? Sadly, trials seem to suggest they are little better than SSRI's!

I guess its going to come down to the disorders too because intrusive thoughts are not going to respond to treating physical symptoms although they may help prevent what they can lead to. Probably why we are all guinea pigs.

I've found recently that high strength Omega 3 had stabilised my mood swings far more than the Duloxetine has. So I think its very important to do your research and look for natural solutions, since part of the problem might be physical anyway. Just think about SSRI's and serotonin, what if is simply because you don't digest enough of your food due to poor digestion from too much processed food? That problem would only come back when you stop the meds.
I
This is why a agree with a lot of what you say because no realistic approach is taken to understanding the problem GPs and a therapist has no interest in diet. It's so disjointed and I've got a surgery where a double appointment is 10 minutes so they just through the pills out.

Take care.

MargaretHale
03-01-15, 11:59
Thanks all, (I think!) I wasn't really looking for specific drug advice, really more reassurance I guess that I won't end up dribbling into my weetabix and rocking in a corner. I'm going back to see my GP this week and will let you know what she says. I'm a fairly switched on medically speaking but just terrified at spending the rest of my life feeling like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

MH.

debs71
03-01-15, 12:15
there is a greater risk of relapse with antidepressant medication has been discontinued.
Antidepressants have been found to cause neuronal damage and death in rodents, and they can cause involuntary, repetitive movements in humans.
Antidepressants may increase the risks of breast cancer, but may protect against brain cancers
Antidepressants may cause cognitive decline.
Antidepressants are associated with impaired gastrointestinal functioning.
Antidepressants cause sexual dysfunction and have adverse effects on sperm quality.
Antidepressant use is associated with developmental problems.
Antidepressant use is associated with an increased risk of abnormal bleeding and stroke.
Antidepressants are associated with an increased risk of death in older people.

if your doctor tells you all this then i'll go score some drugs off of him/her : )

..but doctors are not like that in the real world-they are much happier to scribble something down on a pad until the next time..

sorry but i cant voice my opinion without who's consent?

hahah i know we live under a dictatorship but really??

is this site owned by pfizer of something? why would anyone stop me from talking about medication on here? you guys suggest to people to tak ethese dangerous drugs all the time-i read it over and over without anyone being told off about it.

worse even is when i read people jumping from one drug to the next getting more and messed up each time with little thought as to what it is really doing to them as long as they can get a quick fix-and that is all ssri's are at best. i know people on prozac for 20 years. do you think anyone should be on mood enhancing drugs for 20 years from the same doctor surgery? really?

Sorry, but what are you doing here? On a mental health SUPPORT site?

Virtually every post you make verges on, or is negative, be it 'the great Ebola cover-up' or pharmaceutical ticking time bombs.

You may have heavily researched meds and their effects, good for you, but that kind of conspiracy theory, 'they are all in it for profit', these drugs are evil blah, blah about medications which are utilised successfully by many, many people on this site, and on a site where many vulnerable people are not taking meds, and are very SCARED of the kind of stuff you are spouting on about (which inhibits them seeking medicinal treatment) is unhelpful in the extreme.

Nobody chooses to take medications lightly. I was adamant I would not take them when they were offered me in 2004, as I did not want my brain altered in any fashion, but I did so because I had to. Therapy was not helping the terror I woke up with every morning and the nail marks in my palms from tension even whilst asleep.

There is an abundance of information about SSRI's and suchlike for members to research this without your 'assistance'. I just get the impression you have an agenda, and are somewhat on a mission with this subject.

courierdude
03-01-15, 13:35
erm, theory?

no theory-do you know any pharmaceuticals sales or marketing people?
i know people who work in advertising who work for them and i know that there job is to sell a product in order to maximise profits for shareholders.

that is there prime objective. not to make you feel better debs.

people should be scared of taking ssri's and many other 'medications' but im not trying to scare anyone-the fact that you think that by making people aware is the same as scaring them...well thats more the fault of the drug isnt it, but it does what it does and i have no influence over a licensed drug.

people can look at whatever information they want of course-i am not forcing anything down anyones neck-though when people advocate the use of meds i dont notice you jumping on them about it.

good thing that im not trying to make anyone like me then isnt debs.

ebola-yes someone was worried-i tried to alleviate the fear that the media like to subdue you all with. problem with that? of course...

why am i here-because i have panic attacks.

dont be thinking that i dont have quite a few better things to be getting on with.

drugs companies are only in it for profits otherwise they would cost a fraction of what they cost-go ask any american if they have a problem with the price of drugs.

Pipkin
03-01-15, 13:42
Thanks all, (I think!) I wasn't really looking for specific drug advice, really more reassurance I guess that I won't end up dribbling into my weetabix and rocking in a corner. I'm going back to see my GP this week and will let you know what she says. I'm a fairly switched on medically speaking but just terrified at spending the rest of my life feeling like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

MH.

Margaret,

That's a very sensible approach - discuss your options with your GP and make decisions jointly. If medication is what you choose, post on here and there will be members who've taken the same one and will be able to share their personal experience.

I've been on SNRIs for a few years and they've helped me enormously. Rather than turning me into a zombie, they've given me the respite I desperately needed to be able to live my more fully without crippling anxiety continuing to take it all away from me. I work full time in a senior job and have seen no change in the way I approach things. No dribbling in my weetabix either..

Of course, this is my experience and everyone is different. Any medication can be a step into the unknown - I had a particularly bad experience with one SSRI but that wouldn't make me deter others from taking it. It's often a matter of finding the one that works best for you.

Take care and good luck

Pip

Pipkin
03-01-15, 13:47
erm, theory?

i know people who work in advertising who work for them and i know that there job is to sell a product in order to maximise profits for shareholders.

that is there prime objective. not to make you feel better debs.

people should be scared of taking ssri's and many other 'medications' but im not trying to scare anyone-the fact that you think that by making people aware is the same as scaring them...well thats more the fault of the drug isnt it, but it does what it does and i have no influence over a licensed drug.

people can look at whatever information they want of course-i am not forcing anything down anyones neck-though when people advocate the use of meds i dont notice you jumping on them about it.

good thing that im not trying to make anyone like me then isnt debs.

ebola-yes someone was worried-i tried to alleviate the fear that the media like to subdue you all with. problem with that? of course...

why am i here-because i have panic attacks.

dont be thinking that i dont have quite a few better things to be getting on with.

drugs companies are only in it for profits otherwise they would cost a fraction of what they cost-go ask any american if they have a problem with the price of drugs.

I think that's enough. It's not helping the OP who has said she isn't looking for specific drug advice, just a reassurance that there are people who take meds and haven't become highly sedated with changed personalities.

If you want to start a thread discussing drug companies, feel free to do so in the misc forum. Just remember to back any claims you make with sound, verifiable evidence.

Pip

debs71
03-01-15, 13:50
erm, theory?

i know people who work in advertising who work for them and i know that there job is to sell a product in order to maximise profits for shareholders....
that is there prime objective. not to make you feel better debs.....

Of course they are in it for the money!!!!! Do you seriously think people don't know that already??

I worked in the NHS for 12 years. I know well and good about pharmaceutical sales wars and suchlike. I personally dealt with the smarm merchants in suits that would periodically pitch up on my ward, so the phrase 'teaching Grandma to suck eggs' springs to mind here.

Frankly, I don't give a ***t what their motives are, all I know - and all copious others know - is that these meds (with their evil side effects and health implications etc) are helping me in the here and now, and that is good enough for me.

courierdude
03-01-15, 13:57
so it not about the money but its about the money? right. im not here to argue.

its a shame that the people who suicided on ssri's are not here to contribute to this discussion.

no one is teaching you to suck eggs grandma, i dont understand why someone would get so upset by a discussion about ssri's. they are an experiment-they dont really know what they will do. they are a lucky dip into your brain. 12 years nhs doesnt mean a thing to me to be honest because you could have been a brain surgeon or a cleaner.

good to hear that they help you.

sorry didnt see margarets response before i posted mine..but its not just me talking here is it.

jackie13
03-01-15, 14:14
Hi Margaret

How are you?

I was interested in your post. I am suffering with peri menopause and have done a lot of reading, it really affects our moods, anxiety etc, when you go to Docs ask them for blood tests and possible natural mess, eg estrogen cream.

Now, I am also on Citalopram and have been for 5 years. It has really helped me along with CBT and Mindfulness which is brilliant! The side effects at first are pretty poo, but they do really help.

As for Courier Dudes comments, I feel for anyone suffering the comments made regarding the meds that could actually help are totally unhelpful!

Unfortunately, Courier Dude has many similarities in the posts as IamDave who was banned.

Hugs
Jackie x

courierdude
03-01-15, 14:21
i am not or ever have been anyone else but me-thanks jackie : /

i like that you all say that the side effects are not good to begin with but that you all get use to them... do you never think about this? you get could used to having a pin stuck in your hand and after a couple of months you might not even notice that it is there.

no one has to suffer my comments as they are just as easily ignored as they are read.

fact is-other commenters on here are just contradicting my own remarks and trying to invalidate them whilst asserting that there points are more valid.
i am allowed to say what i think but it seems debs and jackie would like the site better edited to keep there point of view dominant.
i havnt been attacking anyone but a couple of people have been quick enough to attack me.
thanks debs-thanks jackie : )

jimsmrs
03-01-15, 14:49
Margaret, everybody's body chemistry is different. What suits one person, may not suit another, like CBT doesn't suit everyone. Anti-depressants are just another tool to help you cope. As the majority of people on here know, they're not a quick fix. Your GP should monitor you on whatever he prescribes. You may get some side-effects or you may not, look the leaflet that comes with the meds, but don't get scared by what you read. Depending what the GP gives you, some meds a slow to kick in, like Sertraline.

CourierDude I agree with them on this thread, you're not helping anyone...you posted a bizzare comment not long ago on another thread concerning someone who had a fear of dentists and you came out with some rubbish about teeth healing themselves, and how dentists won't tell patients because of the money they'd lose!!!!

courierdude
03-01-15, 14:55
ok-pile it on me : /

tell me expert.

how does a fractured arm heal and what is the difference in the material that makes up your arm to that that makes up the enamel surface on your teeth?

please edumakate me.

please explain to me why one of these materials heals and the other doesnt.

do you think that the more people that disagree with me means that i dont have the right to comment?

mob rule right?

classy : )

jimsmrs
03-01-15, 14:56
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz

courierdude
03-01-15, 15:31
make an inflammatory remark and then fall asleep to avoid answering to a response.

why didnt you fall asleep in the first place instead of trying to wind someone up?

you guys are perfect example of reasons not to use ssri's.

moody, aggressive, completely in denial, antagonistic, delluded, self righteous....

margaret take some ssri's and you fit perfectly inline with the rest of society.

debs71
03-01-15, 15:52
make an inflammatory remark and then fall asleep to avoid answering to a response.

why didnt you fall asleep in the first place instead of trying to wind someone up?

you guys are perfect example of reasons not to use ssri's.

moody, aggressive, completely in denial, antagonistic, delluded, self righteous....

margaret take some ssri's and you fit perfectly inline with the rest of society.

There is only one agressive sounding person here....and you are not at all antagonistic with your comments are you? lol

What do you expect to see in response to inflammatory comments regarding medications that many members here are using?

It is like a red rag to a bull, and you know it.

Think what you like. Others will do likewise, as you can see.

jackie13
03-01-15, 15:53
Hehe teeth heal themselves, heard it all now!! Though was in the pub the other night and a bloke was telling his mate that his tonsils had grown back!

Courier Dude we don't know who you are, nor me or anybody on forums, you are a name, however it is uncanny that your comments are very similar to a banned member.

Anyways, poor Margaret must feel awful in the middle of this. Go see your GP Margaret and then you can discuss the meds or natural path, oh and remember to mention hormones.

Hugs
Jackie x

Pipkin
03-01-15, 15:56
Back on focus now chaps - support for the OP requested please.

Pip

debs71
03-01-15, 16:03
Anyways, poor Margaret must feel awful in the middle of this. Go see your GP Margaret and then you can discuss the meds or natural path, oh and remember to mention hormones.

I was just about to say the same, Jackie.

I am very sorry Margaret, that your thread has deviated off course and probably thrown you into all types of confusion now.

Meds are a personal thing, and what works for some, may not for you, so it is worth a long consultation (if you are able to obtain one these days!) with your doctor, or a discussion with MIND about all of your options, be it the option of meds and therapy or therapy alone.

You choices are greater than you think. Therapy can be CBT, one-to-one talking therapy, group therapy/support groups to name a few. Therapy alone didn't work for me (I had one-to-one counseling through MIND) but what helped me was meds combined with therapy, to both treat it and help me understand what caused my depression/anxiety/panic attacks.

I am so sorry again Margaret, and I wish you well, whatever you choose.:hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
04-01-15, 06:48

MH.

I think you have the same concerns as many of us Margaret. Its always a bit of a trial with this as they affect us in different ways but you have control and don't feel afraid of raising anything.

I would also suggest looking at the natural remedies board on here because there can be deficiencies which can contribute so you can always experiment bit by bit with those but perhaps not when you are at the worst points, stabilise yourself first.

Have you tried Mindfulness?

All the best.

MargaretHale
04-01-15, 18:02
Thanks Pip and all, courier dude not really helpful to be honest mate. I'm as sceptical as the next person and I research carefully (hence why I didn't take the citalopram)

I'm off to the GP this week and will report back.

MH x