PDA

View Full Version : Blood Test/ GP check up advice needed

CalicoCalm94
03-01-15, 01:07
My last post was fairly recent, but I'm feeling a lot better since. My only problem at the moment is my ever irrational fear of cancer. It's not so bad now, since I'm all to aware how ridiculous my fear is -_-

Now, to my question. I need to go on the pill to reign in my menstrual cycle, I spoke to my mother and she told me that I should check with the GP first. It turns out the she has an incredibly high risk of DVT (she had a blood clot in her leg once, but it was nothing too serious) her father also died of a pulmonary embolism so I could be at risk if I go on the pill. (I've never taken it before)

If I bring this information to the GP will they need to do a blood test? And can they pick up any other abnormalities? (The 'c' word)

Also, bonus question. What cancer checks can I have done? I've never actually had a full examination, I'm only 20 but I think some tests would put my mind at ease. Or should I just cave and tell my doctor I'm ready for the anxiety meds??

panicky88
05-01-15, 02:22
Hi, I haven't read your other post. But I felt I was sort of similar to you...I am 26 so a Lil older then you..

I fear heart attack and/or brain tumor...and death. I can't help with knowing what things they can pick up in blood tests, but can share that I've had countless blood tests in the past 6wks which tested all sorts of things and my doctor has told me everything is normal and heart is fine.

I began thinking they missed something or what if this and what if that...maybe I need another kind of test done, keeping in mind that I had already had numerous ecgs, ultrasound, X-ray, ct scan and a 24hr holter monitor...

My advice would be to ask your doctor for a full health examination which will include bloodwork and see how it all comes back and then when it's all fine you can start to try and stop worrying and tell yourself, I've been checked out and I am fine. It won't be easy but if you can be stronger then your own mind (cos potentially it is causing these irrational fears) you will beat it, in time.

I was prescribed meds (30mg cymbalta) took it for two days and felt rubbish! I know they r side effects and they should settle but I've decided to not take them and see if I can be strong and get thru this. Good luck.