PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam 1mg (cut pill) after a small drink

Katki
03-01-15, 18:01
I've had a small glass of red wine about an hour ago and had a bad panic attack which has left me feeling very very anxious, shaky and given me bad palpatations. I want to take some diazepam to calm down and get a better nights sleep but only have a few pills so want to cut the pill in 1/2.

Is it safe to take the diazepam after the glass of wine? I wont be taking it for another few hours anyway.

Thanks

nicola1980
03-01-15, 18:07
Hi, I personally have taken 2mg of Diazepam a few hours after having a drink and was fine, it could probably make you a bit more drowsy than usual X X

Katki
03-01-15, 18:11
I'm trying to hold off and calm down before I take it so I feel the most relaxed I possibly can, do you think the 1mg will have much of an effect?x

nicola1980
03-01-15, 18:20
I sometimes just take 1mg but my Gp told me that if I have an actual panic attack to take 2mg straight away and if I've not calmed down in half an hour to take another 2mg, fortunately my attacks are very few now and I just get anxiety attacks which 2mg usually helps with X X

Katki
03-01-15, 18:26
Thanks, your replies are helping me out at the moment :)

My doctor did tell me he wouldn't prescribe me any more diazepam because it is not a solution, just a temporary cure. I totally agree with this but sometimes just having the pill there is a reassurance.

I am calmer now but unfortunately my physical symptoms are horrible. That's why I mentioned in my other reply to you about taking a beta blocker to help with palpatations and tremor... who knows.. it's so hard putting your mental health in the hands of a doctor who may or may not have much experience in that field..

nicola1980
03-01-15, 18:35
Diazepam is defiantly not a cure but it is a huge help to calm you down when you are in a panicked state, many doctors are unfortunately reluctant to prescribe it now a days but as long as you don't abuse it then it is very effective, my doctor has no problem prescribing it me as he knows I only take it if absolutely necessary and 2mg is a very small dose. The physical symptoms are awful and perhaps a beta blocker would help you, unfortunately I had side effects with them so had to stop X X

Katki
03-01-15, 18:48
What side effects did you get?x

nicola1980
03-01-15, 18:53
I had bad night sweats and vivid horrible dreams, X X

Katki
03-01-15, 19:09
Oh that doesn't sound good, but to be honest I get the vivid dreams at the moment anyway with anxiety! I'd be willing to give it a try if it helps my palpatations and shaking. I can't wait to get down to the doctors and start something now. Just talking about it and knowing I may feel a difference soon makes me feel more relaxed.

nicola1980
03-01-15, 20:01
You will get through this and get better, i know at the min you feel no light at the end of the tunnel but there is X X

Katki
04-01-15, 00:43
Thanks for your kind answers xx

nicola1980
04-01-15, 02:24
Your welcome :) I hope your feeling a little calmer, I was the same as you 3 years ago and honestly thought I'd never get better but with the right help I did, unfortunately I've had a bad blip recently but I can feel myself coming out the other side now thanks to my friends on here who pulled me through. What your experiencing is dreadful and so scary but don't loose hope or ever give up, your stronger than you think. Feel free to pm me any time X X

yenool
06-01-15, 18:10
T
My doctor did tell me he wouldn't prescribe me any more diazepam because it is not a solution, just a temporary cure.

I bet he would happily give you an antidepressant though.... :doh:

2mg I really don't know how anyone gets any benefit from such a tiny dose of diazepam? must be largely placebo effect at that dose I would have thought.

Katki
06-01-15, 19:03
Only ever took 1/2 a diazepam in the end. Probably was the placebo effect but if it helps.....

Doctor has given me AD's - Amytriptyline - but I've decided to get through this on my own without meds. I'm reading claire weekes, taking quiet life and magnesium/vitamin supplements, rescue rememdy, eating healthily and singing and dancing whenever possible. It's actually helping.

2mg for me is a hit actually, I'm 9st, 5ft6 female who has hardly even touched drink in my life, it does have an effect!x