PDA

View Full Version : Which medication has worked for your anxiety?

Katki
03-01-15, 23:01
Am seeing my doctor on Monday for some medication to help my severe anxiety. I don't mind feeling mildly anxious, it's mainly the trembling, palpatations and fluttering heart as well as knot in my stomach that is 24/7 and bringing on horrible panic attacks that I would like to try to make less severe. I am also feeling quite depressed, but know that a lot of AD's have side effects that can alter the mind in a negative way. As depression is not my main symptom, I would rather steer clear of AD's if possible.

My anxiety is mostly health anxiety but has recently turned into a bit of agoraphobia and fear of sleeping (I often wake up with panic attacks.) I would class my anxiety as severe as it is preventing me from leading an average quality of life, at present. I don't want to go out, talk to friends or go back to work. I'm scared of everything and the only way I can calm down is by sitting on my own in my bedroom.

Obviously I will trust my doctors opinion (although this is difficult for someone suffering with HA) But I wanted to know what has worked for you? I have mostly been thinking about asking my doctor for pregabalin or propanolol. Have these worked well for people suffering with severe anxiety?

Obviously I only want personal opinions, not really medical analysis. I just would like to know what I'm asking for. I can deal with SE's like tiredness, headaches or wooziness, doesn't bother me really. I just don't want any heightened anxiety levels or stomach upset (thats what my HA revolves around).

Thanks

honeycakes
03-01-15, 23:20
I had extremely severe anxiety, up to the point where I was very depressed. I simply did not see a purpose to life.

I did not go out, was missing a lot of work -- even handed in my resignation and was begged to take time off and rethink. Stopped seeing all my friends. I would bail on everything last minute. I ate all the time -- cus it would calm my nerves, and gained 40 pounds in a year. I rarely showered, because it made me anxious, I was always in my bedroom too, it was my safe place.

I also had really bad IBS and migraines which doctors said were symptoms of stress and I had panic attacks at the thought of stepping out to do groceries. I even went to the hospital with my panic attacks and was prescribed asthma medication to help with my palpitations and difficulty breathing.

I'm taking Celexa right now and have been for 2 months. Side effects at first -- IBS, which wasn't pleasant but I'd dealt with it my entire life due to stress. I felt anxious, which my doctor said would happen and it's ironic that you'd feel anxious taking medication FOR anxiety. Unfortunately when you're anxious you analyze every little thing that's happening and make everything seem worse. Thankfully I took time off of work (2 weeks) and rested a lot.

I was never able to sleep at night before the meds, I was too anxious. But now I can. At Christmas, I was able to spend time with family. I didn't have to go to the bathroom to hyperventilate or "go to bed early" cus I felt "ill" 2 hours after showing up. My appetite is normal now, I eat and stop eating when I'm no longer hungry. No anxiety about having to step out or get things done, I actually look for things to tackle. Have been back to work for 2 weeks too.

I'd say to talk to a doctor. One drug might be good for someone and might work differently on you, we're all different.

Katki
03-01-15, 23:32
That's brilliant advice, thanks. It is very reassuring that I can break this horrible cycle I have gotten myself into, even if I need medication to help myself through.

I think it's good to educate yourself on all the options before you speak to your doctor. I have heard horrible things about citalopram, however, I also know this is the first drug my doctor prescribes to people who are suffering from anxiety (my mother worked in the pharmacy at the surgery.)

I am willing to try anything but it does seem there are some drugs which just seem to be tolerated better than others by people as a generalisation.

Thanks xx

honeycakes
04-01-15, 04:40
Yes, my doctor also told me Citalopram had had the highest success rate with his patients (for anxiety) but he also warned me it was the worst one side effects wise.

He told me that it'd be worth it in the end and to really really try to pull through cause it would all stop in about 4 weeks. But he also said if I wasn't up for it there were many others to try, though not as successful (according to his experience with his patients).

It's up to you and your doctor. I'm sure there isn't only one drug out there that can help us, and you can always switch, worse case scenario! I know a lot of people who had to try a few different ones before they landed on the right one, and had to play around with dosage as well. I consider myself very lucky that this worked fine for me and that I'm at a low dosage compared to other people (20mg).

Gluck ! :)