PDA

View Full Version : Does flying with braces on hurts?

marycc
04-01-15, 17:56
I read that when you have braces and have to fly, it hurts a lot during the flight because of the air pressure.. I even have orthodontic metallic bands in 3 of my teeth so I'm scared that when I fly, in 1 week,it will hurt or even break my teeth/braces.
Has anyone experienced this?

Serenity1990
04-01-15, 18:45
Rubbish. The cabin is pressurised so the air pressure is exactly the same as on the ground.

On a little Cessna or something then perhaps, but not on a jet.

Tessar
04-01-15, 18:46
Mary I believe it will b ok :-) I hv had alot of dental work done over the years, including 2 bridges. These hv never given me any issues.

marycc
04-01-15, 19:17
Rubbish. The cabin is pressurised so the air pressure is exactly the same as on the ground.

On a little Cessna or something then perhaps, but not on a jet.

I also read about this on some websites, but if the air pressure doesn't change why do some people feel like their ears are popping, ear pressure or even pressure in the sinuses?

Serenity1990
04-01-15, 19:25
I also read about this on some websites, but if the air pressure doesn't change why do some people feel like their ears are popping, ear pressure or even pressure in the sinuses?

There are pressure changes, but they're negligible. It'll be no worse than driving over a hilly road. In fact driving over the Pennines gives me far better ear pops than flying to the Caribbean.

MyNameIsTerry
05-01-15, 06:57
I've had the head pressure and ear popping when returning to the UK and I've felt the same when passing through long railway tunnels. It's just a slightly strange feeling.

I've never travelled with braces but don't worry about the ear popping, its nothing.

anthrokid
05-01-15, 08:20
I've flown with braces before and my teeth were absolutely fine :)