PDA

View Full Version : Seroxat / Paroxetine ....

Krakers
09-01-07, 16:58
Hi all - I've been out to see my GP today and we've decided to change my medication.

Until last night I was on Mirtazapine 15mg (reduced it myself from 30mg a week or so ago). Now he's prescribed me 30mg Paroxetine (which is Seroxat) per day.

I've just done a search of the forums, and it seems most of the posts relate to coming off Seroxat. Just a bit worried whether I should try it or not with everyone else trying to get off it. Also from reading the posts 30mg seems a little high to start off on, but thats what I've been prescribed.

I'm not due to take on till tomorrow morning, so any feedback in the mean time would be most welcome.

Krakers.

Southern_Belle
09-01-07, 17:37
Hi Krakers,

We call it Paxil extended release here in the states. I've been on it quite a while now and it has saved me. I take it for both anxiety and OCD. I am on the lowest dosage possible. I will tell you, however, that I did try to go off of it and once I did my OCD came back full force and I had to go back on it. I do suggest counseling of some sort instead of just taking meds. I have heard from my doctor that it is one of the best meds for anxiety and OCD. I guess you need to trust your doctor if this is what he/she prescribed for you. Good luck.

Belxx

"Our thoughts are our reality"

jo61
09-01-07, 17:45
I was on it a few years ago and came off it no problem. I think I started on 20 and moved up to 30 no problem. I guess I'm agreeing with Bel and saying trust your doctor if he/she has served you well up to now.

Let us know how you get on.

Love Jo xx

Cassie
10-01-07, 10:17
Hiya

I took paroxetine for 6 years and it was a life saver. 20mg is the normal therapeutic dose and your GP should definitely be starting you off at 10mg for a few days and increasing this up to 20mg. There is no need for you to go up to 30mg until you've been taking the drug for a good 8 weeks at least if not longer. This is a strong SSRI. I'm basing this not only on my own and other peoples experience but also from the Maudsley hospital prescribing guidelines book.

Yes you will hear a lot of bad stories about Seroxat - and some people do have a hard time coming off the med but bear in mind people don't seek out support groups like this and others when there feeling well.

Good luck

Krakers
10-01-07, 14:42
Thanks for all your replies they're much appreciated.

I've found a prescription for 20mg Seroxat which I never started due to other problems at the time. I've taken one of those instead of the 30mg ones. I'd already taken it before reading your post Cassie. If its too much for me today, I'll break one in half and take 10mg tomorrow.

Krakers.

kazzie
11-01-07, 00:01
KRAKERS LEAVE IT ALONE ITS POISON!!!! SORRY TO BE NEGATIVE BUT THE STUFF HELPS SHORT TERM BUT NOT LONG TERM THE WITHDRAWEL SYMPTOMS ARE HORRENDOS

KAZ X X X

FEEL FREE TO PM ME X

Krakers
11-01-07, 01:57
Hi Kazzie, and thanks for your input.

The main reason I'm trying Seroxat is because 10 years ago I suffered an anxious episode. It came on during a holiday. We'd just flown to LA - no problems at all. Then we got on what I can only describe as a rubber band plane. We got there straight after hurricaine alneno (sp). We took off on this plane, cleared the mountins over LA, then the plain fell 1000FT i n mid air. The engines were revving loudly and I thought this is it, we're going to die - my very first panic attack.

We managed to get there OK, but during the entire 3 week holiday I suffered extreme anxiety and had multiple Panic Attacks. Coming back from LA was even worse. I had a 10 hour long Panic Attack despite drinking absolutely everything in site.

When we got back to England I saw my GP and was prescribed Seroxat. I was only on it for 6 weeks and it made all my troubles go away. I went back to work after finishing my course and hadn't given that time in my life another thought since. Its only now do I realise what I was going through. It wasn't explained to me at the time.

I suppose I'm hoping that its the cure-all it was previously for me. My concern now is only how much my GP had prescribed (30mg).

So far today has been horrid. I took my tablet at 1.30, felt odd 'till about 4 when I became comfortable with how I was feeling, then dropped into a highly anxious state. I believe its more the tablets I came off (mirtazapine) than the Seroxat thats causing this. I don't recall it being this way before, however it was a long time ago.

I'm going to try and stick with it because I believe it can help. I'd just prefer tomorrow not to be like today. My only way to stop feeling the angst was to self medicate at 10pm with half a bottle of wine. I promised myself I wouldn't drink with these too. Feeling rather guilty at the moment for having let myself down.

Krakers.

Cassie
11-01-07, 10:39
Hi

The med is not going to cure you but it can and should help the symptoms. Its normal to have a slight increase in anxiety when starting these meds - thats why its best to start off at 10mg and work your way up.

Some people do have horrendous withdrawals bear this in mind. This is why its best to keep your dose as low as possible though still be able to function hence why i wouldn't even consider 30mg for a fair few weeks yet. Also it might take 4 - 6 weeks for you to start feeling any improvment.

Krakers
11-01-07, 15:03
Hi Cassie - thanks for coming back to me. My anxiety really caught me at unawares yesterday. I've taken the same dose again today (20mg) and we'll see how this goes. I can feel the effects of the med for about an hour and a half, but I suppose thats not to say its not the tablet making me anxious afterwards.

I've woken up ok today without feeling anxious (same as yesterday). I'll see how the day pans out. Hopefully not a repeat of yesterday.

Krakers.