PDA

View Full Version : How to take this vitamin and not worry about it?

Blondiexxoo
05-01-15, 07:08
Hey guys! I have been diagnosed with an iron deficiency as well as low Vitamin B12 and D. My doctor recommended 2 years ago that I take the Flintstones chewable vitamin with iron. I dismissed it cause I was worried about it staining my teeth and still am since I have braces. Well after doing lots of research on iron pills and buying one that I definitely couldn't take since the pill was black :scared15: (I was thinking it would be red) I decided to go with her original suggestion and try the Flintstones. So my mom bought them for me and she tried them and didn't have any side effects and said they taste just like a sweet tart. But I'm very worried cause of my severe anxiety. I hate taking anything new! I already know what's going to happen. I'm going to try it and have a major panic attack and it will probably take some time to calm down afterwards. I'll probably pace back and forth and flail my hands and say how I don't feel good and all this. I just worry about side effects (I have a severe fear of throwing up) and worry that even if it doesn't cause any side effects that I might throw up anyway from the fear or the taste of it. It also doesn't help that I frequently feel nauseous (it comes and goes) and I don't know what's causing it. It could be anxiety, I'm not sure. But if I already feel nauseous often and then I take that, I'm just worried it might make me sick.

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice for me that might help me not panic as much while I take it?

Also, has anyone had any experience with vitamin deficiencies making anxiety worse?

Thanks everyone!

blueangel
05-01-15, 09:45
OK, if you're going to be taking Vitamin B12 and D. These are naturally occurring substances that are found in a lot of foods. The ones which have the most are:

B12 is in shellfish, fish, liver, quite a few cereals and dairy products (including eggs)
D is in oily fish, tofu, eggs, quite a few cereals and dairy products

You are only going to be topping yourself up with a substance you eat every day - you just need a bit extra. Vitamin deficiency has been connected with anxiety and depression, so it's worth a try.

So take the tablets and don't flail, as you're not putting anything into your body that hasn't been put into it before.

.Poppy.
05-01-15, 15:23
Like blueangel said, the substances in the vitamins you already consume, so there won't be any side effects to the vitamin.

Maybe take it with lots of fluids to help with the taste (though I really don't think they taste bad) and watch your favorite TV show to distract yourself.

You may have to talk yourself through it, but you'll quickly find that you're fine and hopefully each time you do it it will get easier.

CCB1979
05-01-15, 16:09
I also have low iron and take "spa tone" (liquid iron supplement), I took it during pregnancy and now taking it again, it's a natural supplement that you can put in your drink. It may be easier to take??? Maybe ask your Dr, I am in UK so not sure if it's available to you. Try and trust your Doctor (I know it's difficult to do) but they are medically trained, he obviously thinks you need it.

Take care xxx

Blondiexxoo
07-01-15, 07:18
Thanks guys! Unfortunately I couldn't take it. *Sigh* I was already nervous beforehand and felt like my stomach was in knots. Then when I went to take it, I bit off a piece at a time and after the first piece, I thought I was going to be sick. It tasted gross and I just couldn't get it down. I'm just feeling kinda hopeless at this point. Anxiety really sucks!

Good suggestion CCB. I've looked for that before at several stores and couldn't find it. And after my experience with the Flintstones, I don't think I can take anything that has any taste to it.

I'm pretty confident that I can get my Vitamin B12 and D up through food but I can't with the iron. So that's the main concern.

Probably my last hope is a small red iron pill. I believe they have one at the pharmacy. I just picked the wrong one, the black one thinking it would be red. I can't actually swallow pills. I mean, I've never tried as far as I know. My mom said I tried once years ago but I don't even remember that. I've heard if you put a small pill (which this one is very small, like the size of an Advil) in a banana and swallow, it will go right down. Although I hope that's safe and it won't make your throat feel weird or make you choke or get stuck or anything. But I just can't handle anything with a strong taste or anything like that and I think the best way to avoid that is to take a pill versus a liquid/chewable.

I've had anxiety for years and although at some points, it wasn't as bad as others...I've taken numerous pills. Only they could be crushed so I would crush them up and put them in applesauce and take them and that was the easiest for me. I took lots of antibiotics this way. Pills just don't taste as bad as liquids/chewables. So I just think a pill would probably be the easiest for me to take. Although I'm incredibly nervous about that too :/

.Poppy.
07-01-15, 15:20
I like pills better too.

Just remember: the pill can't hurt you. Once it's down, you're good.

What helps me to take pills is to take them with a really thick liquid. Milk - especially that store-made chocolate milk that is really rich and thick - is good. You don't feel anything, the pill slides right down. Juice is another good one, but milk always works the best for me.

I've never done the banana thing, but you'd have to be okay with swallowing a chunk of banana because otherwise you might bite the pill. It's fine if you're okay with that, some people aren't (I know my reflex would be to chew the banana before swallowing).

You can do this, though! After awhile, taking pills just becomes second nature.

anthrokid
09-01-15, 21:52
I can't swallow pills without water. I fill my mouth up with water, quickly put the pill in, and then swallow the water. If I put the pill in before the water it always tastes awful and I have trouble swallowing it, but if I have the water in first it is always fine :)

Blondiexxoo
12-01-15, 07:56
That's true Poppy. I will probably still panic once it's down too though. I'm very worried about side effects since iron is known to cause problems for some people. That's true about the banana. Hopefully I can make it work. I can't take it with milk cause calcium inhibits absorption. You can't take iron with milk. :/ It will probably get easier each time I take it, like you said.

That's a good technique anthrokid! Thanks :) How do you make sure the water doesn't start pouring out of your mouth while you put the pill in though?

anthrokid
13-01-15, 05:14
Haha, I try and keep my mouth closed as much as possible and just push the pill in. I tilt my head back a bit too so that the water doesn't drip out the gap :) There have been a couple of occasions where I've accidentally dribbled some water over my front, but at least I got the pills down, haha!

youdontknowme
13-01-15, 07:47
I like pills better too.

Just remember: the pill can't hurt you. Once it's down, you're good.

What helps me to take pills is to take them with a really thick liquid. Milk - especially that store-made chocolate milk that is really rich and thick - is good. You don't feel anything, the pill slides right down. Juice is another good one, but milk always works the best for me.

Yes! Milk is a good idea. I have trouble swallowing pills because it makes me feel choked/gaggy, but thick liquid masks it perfectly. I don't even feel it go down :)
I know that anxiety is hard to reason with, but just remember that you WILL be fine. This is a perfectly natural substance for your body to process.
Good luck, buddy!

Edit: Just read your post about milk inhibiting absorption. My bad. Orange juice, perhaps? I'm sure there's other thick liquids that would suffice :)

Blondiexxoo
26-02-15, 07:34
Hey guys! I could really use some advice again. I was unable to take the pill. My mom tried it first and got terrible side effects. And it was a slow release which is supposed to be gentle on the stomach. So I really wanna take the Flintstones. I feel most comfortable with these over any other iron supplement since they are very popular and for kids. I already get over 100% iron in food daily so just half the vitamin will make a huge difference. But I can't even bring myself to take half.

I tried again another day with the grape flavor and it tasted better than the orange. I just moved it around in my mouth but couldn't bring myself to swallow it. Even though I didn't swallow it, the taste lingered for like a half hour which bothered me. I'm just very worried about it. It seems like there's never a good time to take it. I want to have it with food on my stomach but not too much food and preferably pasta and a little bit of bread. I want to take it after lunch but when it's light outside and I eat lunch at 6pm right now so that doesn't work. And sometimes I feel nauseous and don't wanna take it at that time. But I really need this for the iron. I've been having cereal and milk every day so the vitamin B12 and D deficiency will probably correct itself but I can't fix the iron through food.

I'm worried I'll either throw up from the taste/not being able to get the taste out of my mouth or from the stress over it once I take it or from side effects. I'm just really stressed about it but I really need to take it. Any advice/suggestions?