PDA

View Full Version : Scared

graeme joy
05-01-15, 10:29
I have to go for a meeting today in town and in so scared. Help.

MyNameIsTerry
05-01-15, 11:05
Is it more the anticipation for you or when you are there?

Try to use some techniques to get you through some of it such as distraction (intently focus on an object, physical handling of an object, etc), or try breathing techniques or relaxation such as Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR) to calm your body & mind as well as burn off some of the adrenaline.

Try to tell yourself that you have done it before and whilst it was very unpleasant, you survived it so can do so again.

You are stronger than you think Graeme!

MrAndy
05-01-15, 11:12
Graeme you are posting quite a bit so obviously in some distress,have a read of this book it puts anxiety into perspective http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/the_book.html
If I was you I would still go to the meeting but set yourself a low expectation of how you can contribute,that way you wont let yourself down.Anxiety always makes things seem far worse than they actually are,remember to pat yourself on the back when the meeting is over

graeme joy
05-01-15, 11:27
Thankyou guys. I feel like when in out in public something bad will happen to me.

MrAndy
05-01-15, 11:31
Thankyou guys. I feel like when in out in public something bad will happen to me.
so do I but hiding away from it will make it ten times worse in the long run

MyNameIsTerry
05-01-15, 11:38
If you have the opportunity, try and focus intently on an object for several minutes. This can help.

I had to have a wisdom tooth removed when my anxiety was at its worst as I had broken it. I didn't sleep at all the first time and rescheduled it. The second wasn't much better but I went and I would do this focusing or fondling an object in my pocket which helped a little.

In the chair was going to be the main test. I spent it intently focusing on the ceiling light and it really really got me through it. My anxiety greatly decreased. I was a bit wiped out afterwards but it was a success of sorts and taught me something.

I would also suggest looking at acupressure techniques as these can be helpful with symptoms, especially nausea and they are very quick & easy to learn off the Internet (diagrams, videos, etc)

Good luck Graeme.

graeme joy
05-01-15, 11:58
thankyou for the amazing advice. Sometimes i even get like a dripping sensation in my head and i feel its like a brain bleed. Could this be anxiety? Like the feeling when you get five rain dripping on u. I wipe my head but nothing is there. Its weird.

MyNameIsTerry
07-01-15, 06:59
How did it go Graeme?

I don't know about the dripping, I'm afraid.

Tish
07-01-15, 07:07
For future reference Graeme.. try Bachs rescue remedy to keep you calm through meetings or other stressful events.

Pipkin
07-01-15, 07:16
For information, Graeme is no longer a member.

Pip

youdontknowme
07-01-15, 08:10
so do I but hiding away from it will make it ten times worse in the long run

MrAndy is very right.
Anxiety can be really tough, but remember that no matter how you feel, those feelings can't bring any physical harm to you.
The worst that happens is that you have a little freak out and need a breather.
Anxiety attacks are scary, but only because they bring on the illusion that something is wrong. You are actually 100% okay while they are happening.
You are strong and you can face this! :D
I used to have multiple anxiety attacks each and every day, but I kept going out and living my life anyway. Now I haven't had one in almost a year.
Take care! It may feel rough, but you've got what it takes! :yesyes:
The forum is always here for you.