PDA

View Full Version : Heart flip-flops as I'm falling asleep...

Katki
05-01-15, 13:53
Anyone else have this?

My heart will flip flop just as I'm drifting off and will jolt me awake. It sometimes feels like I need to cough to stop it. I'm now terrified of sleeping. It's horrible. I know I have been tensing my chest muscles a lot recently.

Sometimes it's so intense I have to jump out of bed and walk around with jelly legs and my whole body vibrating.

I wish I knew how to stop this.

Amylee1982
05-01-15, 20:04
Accept it wont hurt you is the only way to stop it hun. The more you worry about it the worse it is..i kno this as i do it myself its a vicious cycle :( acceptanc3 is key hun x

Katki
05-01-15, 20:37
I actually drifted off for an hour earlier as I was telling myself... it's just anxiety, it's just anxiety.... then I jumped out of bed an hour later and somehow got downstairs without realising it.. still here though aren't i :D

Amylee1982
05-01-15, 22:03
It happens when ur drifting because of the changes in sleep state...your body is preparing for sleep but your brain as other ideas lol x

AlexandriaUK
05-01-15, 22:22
First class description, your going from being highly aware and anxious to starting to fall asleep and your mind recognises the heart slowing which is perfectly normal, and you go into a little adrenaline rush and away you go, not nice but not harmful, coughing does help a short sharp diaphragm cough.

Katki
05-01-15, 22:27
Sometimes I wish this would go away and I could be worried about having appendicitis again.. at least I was sleeping!!x

saab
08-01-15, 22:48
The waking or jumping is called a hypnic jerk and is the body's built in defence from Stone Age times when people had to be vigilent even whilst asleep. It's got an article on Wikki.

Palpitations are often worse at night because your heartbeat slows, which can allow them to sneak in. They are common and invariably harmless. I get loads. I think research has shown that most people have at least a few a day, though they usually don't feel them. Some people find that lying on your side can cause them too as this allows the heart to touch the chest wall. Hth.

smine
25-01-15, 10:47
oh gosh... this is really similar to something that's been happening to me lately. not every single night... but often enough to worry me a little. i get random skipped beats sometimes during the day... since about 3 years ago when they started. i had a couple of patches of constant skipping for several weeks... then it died away completely, and now just happens occasionally. but when i go to bed, my heart seems to speed up a little with the change in position, and it feels quite thumpy... not extremely fast or anything, but very noticable beats. and sometimes i almost fall asleep and wake suddenly over and over, for up to an hour or so before i can actually get to sleep properly. in the morning when i wake up, those symptoms are gone and i can't notice my heartbeats like i do at night. i dont have to get up when i get woken but i would like it if my heart would quiet down like it is in the morning. it's definitely not a fun sensation... but im not sure whether there's actually anything to be concerned about? its hard to know. have you had any tests?

Katki
25-01-15, 12:13
I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. I don't get it anymore. It's just an anxious body reacting to winding down and relaxing. I've had quite a few tests but I'm pretty sure im healthy. Never had anything like this until I started feeling anxious.

I asked a paramedic about it and she said it's totally normal.

When I breathe and stop thinking about them, they go away.

2Anxious
25-01-15, 22:20
I've been getting this A LOT recently. I barely feel any PVCs during the day, if any at all. But the last 3 or 4 days I can't even lie down in any position. I'm not even sure if they're PVCs though, I almost never feel a pause or skipped beat, it just feels like my heart has a little spasm/quiver and the beat it usually a lot longer than a normal one. It's horrible. I find it impossible to sleep sitting up aswell.

I went to A&E yesterday after about 3 days of ZERO sleep. Heart was about 90-100 the whole time I was there, I'm pretty sure it was due to sleep deprivation and lack of food.

I slept last night for a few hours but I know it'll start all over again tonight.

kezzal
25-01-15, 23:53
its that stage your body shuts down for sleep in normal circumstances your brain closes down first then your body takes over slowing heart rate etc sounds like your doing the opposite this is what kicked my anxiaty off 5 years ago witch has ultimately left me now with palps try to relax hun x

Grace22
31-01-18, 04:12
DID anyone find an answer to this? Or did it go away?

Thanks

skaaix
05-02-18, 20:47
This is my lifeeee

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Croydonbee
06-02-18, 11:26
After my panic attack last August. I have suffered anxiety every day. Have been put on increasingly increased dosages of paroxetine. Now on 50mg daily. But getting more and more of a racing heart, always trying to catch my breath, especially at night. And am still getting the electric shock sensation in the head where I go dizzy and whooshy and there's Humming in the head, when I close my eyes. There seems to be no end to all this - I have counselling, did CBT, Headspace, attend a group with fellow sufferers. The depression has eased off, but I just want to live my life but am hindered every day. I get little sleep, I try and exercise but am so damn tired and dizzy. Not sure how much longer I can go on like this. Also lost my mum in Oct and have no parents left and feel very empty. I had an ECG in Saugus and it was fine.
Guess it’s just underlying anxiety and tiredness caused no it. Bit worried, though
The rapid heartbeat seems to be all the time now