PDA

View Full Version : Head pains

nachx3
09-01-07, 17:28
Help,
Had a funny head for 3 months now.
Not quite a headache but pains that come and go mainly in the top right of my head.
Have seen 3 doctors. Had antibiotics because of raised temperature - 1st time.
Had steroid nasal spray in case it was sinus problems.
Had blood tests which came back clear.
All 3 doctors have checked my sight, eyes, blood pressure etc. which is all ok.
Now on amitriptyline as have been told it helps cluster & tension headaches. Have been takeing them for 5 nights and no change.
Convinced myself I have a tumour - I can't have surely they would have picked it up??? WOULDN'T THEY???????????

Helen300
09-01-07, 17:40
Hi,

You aren't alone I have been through exactly the same.
Except the pain is on the top left hand side of my head. I too have had blood tests, antibiotics and some tablets to to help with the throbbing sensation I was getting. They didn't help. I have also convinced myself the doctors must have missed something and I have a tumor. I have been assured it is anxiety/depression. It seems hard to believe.I have been on Mirtazapine (an anti-depressant) for a week and a half. Not sure if they are working yet?!
Is your pain worse when you try to concentrate on something?

nomorepanic
09-01-07, 19:12
See if any of this helps...

Persistent muscle tension, Stiffness, Muscle twitching, Sore or tight scalp or back of the neck
The sensation:
You feel like your muscles are always tight or strained, sometimes to the point of frequent pain, or even persistent and ongoing pain. Some may also find the pain so restricting and debilitating that it prevents physical activity, and sometimes to the point of becoming bed ridden. It's also common to experience pain or cramps in any of the body's muscles.
A particular joint in your body feels unusually stiff and sore, or hard to move. It may even feel arthritic. Sometimes you feel you may be ‘seizing up’.
For no apparent reason, a particular muscle will begin to twitch. This twitching will continue for an unusual amount of time before it stops of its own accord. Sometimes it twitches so long it becomes sore, and may continue on and off for days.
You may feel that your scalp is sore, has shooting pains, or that the back of your neck and head are very tense. Even though there is no apparent reason for this, they continue to.
The reason:
Stress biology causes muscles to contract (tighten) so that the body is more resilient to an attack. The higher the stress biology, the more tense the muscles will be. Some people experience mild tenseness while others may experience great pain, sometimes to the point of immobility. Others experience uncontrollable muscle twitching. It can be one particular muscle over and over again, or it can be a wide variety of muscles. Sometimes the twitching can last for days.
Regular exercise helps to keep tight muscles relaxed. Some find relief through massage therapy or warm baths.
As with all symptoms, when the nervous system gets sufficient rest, this symptom will diminish and eventually subside.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel