PDA

View Full Version : Eyes and Visual Disturbance

Alison_Niamh
06-01-15, 17:02
So this is my first post on here and it's probably going to be a pretty long and annoying one as I try to explain everything.

I moved away to University in September, all the way down to London, and about a month in started getting very panicky, upset and homesick, all pretty normal for me, and at this time I was completely unaware I'd been struggling with an anxiety disorder in bouts pretty much since I was a child. Then about two months in I (stupidly) followed the crowd and took a pill whilst out, I have no idea what it was even now.
I was extremely ill for two weeks after this, struggling to go two hours without a panic attack, heart racing etc. I didn't tell my parents, but went to A&E 12 days later and had an ECG and BP both of which came back fine.

The doctor told me to go home and relax and that I was fine, I booked a regular doctors appointment for confirmation, got home, started to relax and things got better, my doctors appointment was booked for two weeks after this date, which i subsequently cancelled the night before due to feeling much better, I'd say 99%.
Since I did this, my panic attacks, sleeplessness etc. came back and much worse, I started to get one achy sore eye, and saw a blue circle when my eyes were closed and found my self googling a multitude of drug related symptoms.

I thought for an extremely long time I had HPPD and thought of nothing else, once I had come home from university, the panic attacks decreased, yet I thought of nothing else throughout the day, I wasn't sleeping and what was worse, is that now I was no longer worrying about panic attacks and being alone the eye symptoms got worse because I fixated on them. It became flashes when I closed my eyes, afterimages (negative) and migraines when watching tv, seeing shadows out of the corner of my eyes. I broke down and eventually had to tell my parents, and when I did, the flashes disappeared for that one night. I saw another doctor who prescribed Diazepam which I haven't been taking but feel maybe I should and an optician who have all said I am medically completely fine, and it has all been brought on from 12 weeks of anxiety and stress, it is not drug related.

However, they're slowly creeping back up on me the eye symptoms, they're diminished but still there. I was just wondering if it is because I am still worried and stressed about it? And how long anyone thinks this will go on for? I've seen a counsellor who has gone through a timeline with me, and has assessed when I have been experiencing anxiety in my life, and just not realising that it was more serious, or simply because I had lived at home and had support and care. I've never had physical symptoms before other than classic panic attacks but feel the fixation on my eyes has perpetuated the issue.
Any support/advice would be much appreciated.

Sluggy
06-01-15, 17:15
While I can't relate to taking a pill, I can definitely relate to eye problems and visual disturbance, around 8 weeks ago now I had an awful retinal migraine that made me lose sight in my left eye for a couple of hours and as you can well imagine I was petrified.

My parents took me to A&E and while there my left eyes vision came back, the doctor who I saw said to immediately go to have a retinal scan the next morning which I did. The tests were all fine but over 3 weeks my eyes seemed to deteriorate, I started seeing visual disturbances, floaters that I'd never noticed before etc which made me extremely worried, I thought that the pupil dilating substance had given me a detached retina (this is impossible, but with anxiety I jumped to conclusions).

I went to see my optician and my prescription had changed, but there was nothing wrong with my eyes, and while I still see these visual disturbances and the great quantities of floaters, I know that it isn't anything to worry about because I've been told by an optician that I trust.

Alison_Niamh
06-01-15, 20:55
Thanks Sluggy for replying to me, although it is awful to have these symptopms it is comforting to know that I'm not the only one, and that someday this should hopefully go away. I just wish there was a quick fix. Despite the fact I've now seen 4 doctors and an optician, all of whom have said no problem, there is still that seed of doubt. I'm hoping this all gets better with time.

Sluggy
06-01-15, 21:20
Yeah, it's the same with me, I'll always have a seed of doubt with my eyes, I value my vision greatly like most people, and realised how much I'd taken it for granted when I lost it in my left eye for that short period of time, and I suppose the fact I value it so greatly makes me all the more nervous about losing it.

I try to think of it like this, if I've seen an optician, or my GP about a certain symptom, I know that if I experience said symptom again, I know it's my anxiety from the previous experience of going to see a medical professional about it.

Alison_Niamh
06-01-15, 21:35
I'd never thought about it like that, I'm pretty new to all this, I've not had any CBT and I only properly start my counselling next week. The person who assessed me said it's a wonder something of this scale hasn't happened before, but because I'm so new to it being this bad I struggle with acceptance and dealing with the fact it is just anxiety, I start on what ifs? Eg. HPPD is quite rare, what if tr doctor doesn't know about it? What if I explained my symptopms wrong etc. when I know 99% it's not drug related since this symptom onl started 2 weeks after I took that stupid pill. And thinking about it makes it worse, and then I had it really really bad the night before I told my parents and that night I was incredibly scared and terrified, so I know it gets worse with stress therefore it is anxiety or atleast I think 99% it is. I just can't wscape it, it won't stop and I can't stop thinking about it but because I can't stop thinking it won't go away if that makes sense?

Sluggy
06-01-15, 22:08
Yeah, I'm new to health anxiety too, I've suffered from GAD for around 5 years, but my health anxiety has only recently come up since November 2014 after my eye issue. I have my first counselling session on the 27th of this month to get some feedback and steps to tackle my anxiety which I'm looking forward too.

I try to think to myself, all of these symptoms have ONLY come up within the 8 weeks that I had my eye problem, the likelihood of my having a list of conditions and diseases that have sprung up within 8 weeks is almost impossible. I'm currently in a phase of getting scared about my heart, it seems to only pump once sometimes when I feel it in my chest, I've got no end of heart rate monitors on my phone to constantly check, but once I mention it on the 27th of this month, I'll feel a lot better with a response from a medical professional.

I also just started Uni, but decided to defer for a year after my first few lectures. Wanted a break from education. While searching for a job for the year I have too much time on my hands, which leads to constantly checking my health. Once I get a job I think my symptoms will die down as I'm focussing on them a lot less.

Alison_Niamh
06-01-15, 22:16
I had some panic about my heart too which is what first sent me to A and E, my symptoms persists for about 4/5 days after the doctor told me it was all okay specifically with my heart and after the tests were done. I didn't know at the time but the doctor in A and E said that heart palpitations or increased awareness of heart rate is one of the most common symptoms that anxiety sufferers get! This reassured me somewhat... and even now I get a very fast heart rate out of nowhere for roughly 5 minutes at a time, but i've learnt to ignore this, and it doesn't worry me as much anymore. Medical reassurance I feel is key though, I find this to be one of the most worrying symptoms of health anxiety but it becomes much less noticeable and bothersome once you know it is nothing serious.

Sluggy
06-01-15, 22:39
I feel rather silly now, I visited the British Heart Foundation website for information surrounding heart problems, pulses and irregular heart beats etc, and they had a handy soundcloud link to see what a regular heartbeat should sound like, and to my surprise one beat is a regular heartbeat. https://soundcloud.com/bhf/heartbeatreg Whereas other places have sounds that have two. I don't know haha!

I totally agree that medical assurance is key too. I try not to visit a GP unless I have a wealth of things to see a doctor about but when I do I feel a lot better.