PDA

View Full Version : Driving

seh1980
31-08-04, 20:35
Hello everyone,

I'm pretty proud of myself at the moment because I've started driving again!! It had been 2 years and my boyfriend finally got me into the driver's seat. I've only driven a few miles here and there, into town, to the supermarket, etc but am hoping that I can face the motorway at some point soon.
I was just wondering if anyone has any advice that would make me feel more confident behind the wheel?
Thanks.

Sarah :D

Rennie1989
31-08-04, 20:41
hiya sarah

congragulations on driving again, just remember, take it slowly dont rush!!!! anyway enjoy your self!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scooter Girl

if i wa hungry would u feed me, if i fell u you help me up, if i was crying would brush away my tears

nomorepanic
31-08-04, 20:50
Sarah

As you may well know my biggest problem is whilst driving.

Here are some tips from the "How to cope" page on the NoMorePanic website ...

Whilst Driving:
You must distract your mind from feeling Panicky and frightened whilst driving as you may feel even more frightened as you're in control of a potentially dangerous piece of machinery. Here are a few coping techniques (believe me they work, no matter how mad they sound):

1) Add up number plates - look at the car in front and add up any numbers on the number plate, try to see what car number plate gives the highest score.

2) Select a colour and start counting the number of cars you can see in that colour.

3) Select a make of care and start counting how many cars of that make pass you.

4) Take the letters in a car number plate and work out an amusing phrase for it.

5) Sing! - put some music on and sing along. If you start singing you will automatically start to breathe correctly and it will also take your mind off the problem. This recently worked for me on a long drive and I started to feel panicky. I turned the music up and sang away - it worked!

6) Talk positively to yourself - e.g. "I've only driven shorter distances recently so it's Ok to feel nervous about this journey. I know I will be fine as I always am fine and the feelings of nervousness cannot harm me and always pass. I know I am a good, safe driver and will in time get to enjoy this journey. If I should feel faint, I know that these sensations will pass and that the sooner I relax , the sooner the faint feeling will pass."

7) Distract yourself and start planning a birthday party for XXXX , now who shall we invite, where shall we go, what games shall we play etc.

8) Plan what to spend a windfall on, DIY projects are all useful too. Ensure you need to think about the details of whatever you think about.

9) Talking books are great especially if you have a favourite subject/ author.

You may need to start this thought replacement long before your journey and may need to try several distraction options out before you find the one that works for you.

Also check out JK's site - as he has a post about it...

http://www.vwwelly.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/drivingphobia.htm

Hope it all helps

xx

Nicola

pips
31-08-04, 21:03
Hi Sarah,

Well done you and congratulations! Give yourself a well deserved pat on the back!

Unfortunately I'd be pretty useless at giving you any tips as I can't drive myself. My confidence can't quite handle the driving thing! I have tried before but hated it immensly.

You are doing well though and I'm sure with courage you will conquer the Motorway! Good luck!

Take care

Love PIP'S XX

seh1980
31-08-04, 21:19
hello all,

Thanks for your replies!! Thanks loads for all the tips Nic - I will be sure I use them and try them all out. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sarah xxx :D

sarah
31-08-04, 21:42
Hiya Sarah

Well done for getting behind the wheel again mate!

Just think of all the freedom it will give you, that should spur you on a bit!!

love Sarah
xx

sal
01-09-04, 00:24
Hi Sarah

You have done so well driving again, and Durham isnt the quietest place to start so thats another postive step.

I am sure when you are ready you will be fine trying to drive on the motorway, but dont feel bad if it takes time as even the most confident drivers dont like motorway driving.

The fact you have got behind the wheel is an achievement in itself. You have done really well, wont be long before you are driving through to see me and Sam. Maybe that could be one of your future challenges. I will have the decaf tea waiting for you hon.

Well done.

Love Sal xxxxx

Meg
01-09-04, 16:11
Sarah,

Brilliant - yet another huge step forwards .

You're going to have to really knock the agoraphobic label on the head soon when you start whizzing about !!

Well Done

Meg

seh1980
01-09-04, 21:41
hey Sal,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I will definetly have to drive over to see you and Sam at some point soon!! Wow, I would be so proud if I did that!! I'm sure I'd manage, especially if ed was with me. Take care.

Karen
01-09-04, 23:33
Well done Sarah.

Briary

seh1980
08-09-04, 15:52
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd let you know that the driving is going pretty well. Sometimes I feel more confident than others but I guess that's normal. Whenever I drive, I always have ed with me in the car...

The other day, I actually managed to drive somewhere alone without any supervision!! It was just to the shop down the road but it was dark and I'm not a fan of driving at night...I was still quite chuffed with myself after I had done it!!

Take care all.

Meg
09-09-04, 17:34
Good news . Great that you've started going out in it alone too .

Meg

seh1980
09-09-04, 20:42
hello again peeps,

Today, I drove the farthest I've been so far. It even involved the motorway (ok, so it was just one exit) and fouth gear [Wow!] LOL

I managed though and wasn't even nervous even though I had just woken up...not bad, huh?