PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety & Strange Jolts - anyone experienced this? Please help.

newmama
07-01-15, 17:23
I am feeling pretty desperate as I haven't had a good night's sleep for about 4 weeks. Previously I had been a good sleeper. It all started with a strange episode as I was falling to sleep when I woke up with a start in a complete terror, feeling like I was about to die and being unable to breathe temporarily. Really scary - and I imagine some kind of anxiety attack, though I haven't had anything like it before. After that I couldn't go to sleep as just as I was on the point of sleep I would "snap" back awake with a start - as if there was a jolt or surge of adrenaline in my brain and I was not able to let go and go to sleep in case the same thing happened. This has since been a nightly pattern - it happens dozens of times a night. It's like torture - just as I am going to sleep I get woken with a sudden jolt in my head. I am so exhausted and feel like I am just dragging myself through the day - only for the same thing to happen again the next night. I have tried all the usual things - meditation, progressive relaxation, exercise, chamomile tea, alcohol, nytol. I have also read lots about insomnia - but nothing I have read talks about this kind of sensation - it feels like something that is completely beyond my control and operating at a subconcious level. I am so scared that I will always feel like this and never sleep properly again. I really don't know what to do and am so tired I can't think straight. Has anyone had this experience or had any success with this sort of thing? The doc has suggested a short course of Zopiclone, but I am so reluctant as I am afraid I won't be able to sleep properly without it. Please help.