PDA

View Full Version : New UK member

russ
09-01-07, 21:18
Hi Guys, I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself and say why I have joined. It is a bit of a long story, so I'll try and be as brief as I can.

Sadly in April last year my father passed away from Cancer. I had helped look after him in the same house for the previous two years and we had become very close, my life was his and visa-versa. Although before this I wouldn't say I was always feeling great, his death and having to spend the final few hours with him hit me very hard (I can barely stand thinking about it now).

During the later days of my dad's life my Nan also fell ill of the very same thing, bowel cancer; sadly, she also passed away a few months later.

At first the passing of my Dad didn't appear to hit me that hard, it was a busy time and like many I threw myself into doing jobs at home, almost anything to stop thinking. However, around 6 weeks after my Dad passed on I had the feelings as if I was having a heart attack and ended up in A&E. They ran a ECG, I had blood tests, scans and a physical, all appeared fine and this was eventually put down to a painful sternum condition called Costochondritis (Tietze's Syndrome) after a follow-up GP visit (caused by a virus or over physical activity, lifting etc, which was likely considering the weeks before). I was told this would cure, and it appeared to do so after a few weeks, although this then entered the time of my Nan's passing and I'm not sure if it did cure or if I was running on adrenaline.

Again a few weeks after my Nan’s funeral I experienced chest pains. Again I went to A&E and was told the same thing as before. From last September up until this point in time (early Jan) I'm in quite a bit of pain on and off each day around the left side of my chest which is exacerbated by pressing it (it feels "weak"). I have had the tests which are clear, I've also been told at 27 and with the family having no heart issues, nor me not being overweight or a smoker, drinker or drug taker, I require no further tests (despite asking to see a cardiologist) and that in time the condition should cure itself.

Now here is where the confusion for me sets in. At the last visit to A&E before Christmas they asked the usual questions, I went back to them because I had been feeling unwell (although other family members had the flu) and I also had a tight feeling in my throat, especially around the evenings which I began to dread. The Doctor questioned me a little and said straight away he thought I was suffering anxiety; he wasn't clear whether that was in addition to or as a new diagnosis to my original diagnosis. He said he would write to my GP over this diagnosis and as yet I have not heard from or gone back to my GP.

Here is my real question, while I can appreciate the last few months have brought about anxiety, I don't actually feel as though I'm anxious when I have the pains and throat feelings, so can anxiety be subconscious? I don't understand how I can awake feeling anxious after sleeping? Nor did I actually realise anxiety could cause such physical ongoing pains, however, upon reading a little more clearly a chemical or emotional build-up can come out in a physical way.

Really I'm lost where to go from here. Has anyone had a reaction to grief like this? Has that brought on my anxiety? Could the chest pains be the route of anxiety or a symptom? I still feel very emotional and now almost petrified of dying and what is after death or being on my own or in a situation where I may collapse with no family member close, sounds stupid I know, but I put this down to seeing the inside of a hospital so much where also the worst case always appeared to come true.

The recent few months have just left me feeling so low, I've lost close relatives and I'm in pain and I just have no quality of life right now. In addition I haven't worked for years and with the chest pains I just cannot see me being able to do a job right now.

Should I go back to the doctors? How do I go about getting over these feelings? I feel if only the pain would stop I could start to move

honeybee3939
09-01-07, 21:46
Hi Russ,

So sorry to hear about your father and nan. It sounds like you have had a real hard time hun. I hope we can be of some help and support for you Russ.
Russ if i was you i would go visit your gp and explain the way you are feeling, he could even suggest you have some councilling to get over your grief. You can get over those feelings Russ, you just need the right help.
hopefully by joining us, you have made your first Step forward to recovery.

Sending you a HUG hun.

Love

Andrea
xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

desiree
09-01-07, 21:58
Hey russ,

my panic attacks were caused as a result of my father passing away and the string of events that followed. I almost lost another family member and another person close to me died, which hit me hard. I'd always been a battler and people praised me for my strength, but after finding out that my mother could have cancer, I broke down, I cried for what seemed an eternity, and ive never felt as bad as i did that day. From that day on I began avoiding things so nothing 'bad' could happen to me. I wish now I hadnt done that as im now having problems getting my life back.

I believe these things caused my anxiety, loosing someone so close to you is an extremely painful thing to have to go through, I'd go back to your doctor and just tell him how you are feeling, dont let it spiral like I did....try and nip it in the bud :) hope this helped.

Des xx

clickaway
09-01-07, 22:09
Hi Russ and welcome to the site. I'm very sorry to hear of your family losses.

Such personal losses are very common triggers for anxiety, but I'd chase up your GP since A and E since they said were going to report on your visit there?

Take care,

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

yorkylover
09-01-07, 23:14
Hi Russ welcome to no panic.Im sorry to hear of the loss of you dad and nan.Theres lots of support here for you.

Ellen XX

manmoor
09-01-07, 23:40
Hi Russ,

A big warm welcome to you. Sorry to hear about both your losses. xx

Take Care

Mandyxx

Lindalou64
09-01-07, 23:56
welcome russ
sorry to hear about your losses thats alot of stress on you and stress can do alot on the body"anxiety".....im sure you will find alot of info and lots of good people who can relate as i do.......i wish you the best and just hang in there this shall pass......best to ya......Linda[8D]

russ
11-01-07, 08:58
Thanks all, I am going to make an appointment to return to the docs.

kittykat
11-01-07, 15:03
Hi Russ,

Sorry to hear about your sad losses. You'll find this site a great help with lots of support , plus everyone is so friendly. I would definately go back to the docs and discuss with him exactly how you feel at the moment and also your fears. Hope that helps a bit.

Take care

shirley xx

'' I am an optimist, but I'm an optimist who carries a raincoat. '' - Harold Wilson

trac67
11-01-07, 18:54
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'

nomorepanic
11-01-07, 20:15
Hi Russ

A warm welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel