PDA

View Full Version : As anyone with anxiety been at high altitude?

mlondon
08-01-15, 03:33
Hi

I have bought of chronic anxiety and panic attacks. Last year I really struggled, but with the help of my psychologist I am feeling much better. I accept though that anxiety is something I am likely to have on and off for the rest of my life.

Next month I am climbing Mount Kilimanjaro with my partner and some friends. I have never done anything like this before and am worried that the drop in oxygen levels at high altitude may bring on a panic attack.

Does anyone have any tips or has anxiety and has been at a high altitude?

Many thanks

Michelle

.Poppy.
08-01-15, 14:47
I've never climbed a mountain before, but don't they often bring oxygen along for the really high altitudes?

Best advice: go slowly. Don't push yourself. You may become winded easier, but you won't really notice the change if you are just sitting still. Sometimes you don't notice it at all even when you're moving, which can mess with you and make you feel sick later if you push yourself too hard. Just be mindful of that and you'll be just fine.

And what an exciting opportunity! Have fun!!

mlondon
13-01-15, 01:44
Thanks heaps for the advice Poppy!

Rennie1989
13-01-15, 12:31
I've been in the Great Pyramid in Egypt where oxygen was limited. It's not high altitude but I get the idea of being somewhere with limited oxygen.

If I'm honest, where you'll be will be enough to take your mind off it, you'll be fascinated of where you are, have the goal in the front of your mind and people to talk to. Sure, you may feel out of breath but more likely due to climbing the mountain, rather than from the high altitude.

Mindknot
13-01-15, 14:28
I was high altitude for a few weeks once, although didn't particularly have a problem with panic attacks then - the most important thing is to not over-push yourself. I don't remember being out of breath as such, just like everything was a bit slower than usual.

Because you are trekking at altitude, remember to take it easy, don't try and keep up to the speed that you might walk normally, drink lots of water and take breaks when you need them, your body will adjust as you go along. I'm assuming you will also have some sort of guide who knows the mountain, knows hikers going up it and will know what to do if anyone has problems with the altitude, so you should be fine, just keep tabs on each other.

mlondon
26-01-15, 02:13
Yes I will have a guide. Many thanks for all your feedback, much appreciated!!