PDA

View Full Version : Live chat with Paul Salkovskis

nomorepanic
09-01-07, 22:05
I have had a PM from Paul today and he has agreed to come in the Chat room one evening and do a LIVE chat discussion.

For those who are not familiar with Paul then he recently did the TV programme "The House of Agoraphobics". The post is here...

The TV show "The house of agoraphobics" (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15782)

There is some info about Paul here ...

http://internal.iop.kcl.ac.uk/ipublic/staff/profile/external.aspx?go=10127

I am working out dates/times with Paul but as he is a very busy man this may be in a few weeks time.

We will run this as a moderated chat and we may ask that people submit questions upfront or otherwise the chat can run off in all directions and it will be easier for Paul to have structured questions to reply to.

So if you are interested then please reply here and get thinking about what you want to ask etc.

I feel very honoured that Paul has agreed to do this chat for us as he is a leading expert in his field and usually only talks at conferences etc so for him to take time out for this site is quite an honour.

Look forward to seeing him in chat soon and I will let you know when we have arranged a date/time.

Thanks

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

honeybee3939
09-01-07, 22:13
Wow,

Thats great for Paul to offer to do a live chat discussion, thats brilliant i will definatley be there.

Love

Andrea
xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

Piglet
09-01-07, 22:25
Thank you so much - will definately be there.

Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

eeyorelover
09-01-07, 22:43
I'll definitely will be there but only to listen as I haven't seen that show that you all are talking about :)
xxx
Sandy

Sue K with 5
10-01-07, 03:16
oh brilliant well done you !! yes will definately wantt to come in and listen to that

Thanks Nic and a huge well done

xxxxxx

scknight

sandlin
10-01-07, 09:53
I'll be there to have a listen- couldnt watch show as too distressing.

linda xx

jodie
10-01-07, 12:28
hi nic

i will be there to what will be happening will he be chatting about a range of things ?

thank you jo xx

shoegal
10-01-07, 13:03
Count me in as well!!! :D:D:D

Love shoegal xxx

Piglet
10-01-07, 13:11
Nic do we pm you anytime from now with our questions or how do you want us to do it.

Love Piglet xx

mingsy
10-01-07, 19:33
Brilliant, Count me in.

JANE

nomorepanic
10-01-07, 21:20
I am just finalising things with Paul but can I make it clear that Paul will not be discussing the TV programme (House of Agoraphobics) but will concentrate more on CBT.

I will let you know if he would prefer questions up front and when it will be.

Nicola

Piglet
10-01-07, 22:27
Yep that's brill Nic :D

Piglet

bobsy
11-01-07, 11:54
OH YES PLEASE COUNT ME IN TOO.

THANKS NIC

BOBSY

nomorepanic
16-01-07, 22:03
Paul will be in chat on Thursday 1st February at 9pm (UK time).

He will be discussing CBT and I would like any questions upfront so either post here or PM me with them.

Many thanks.

Nicola

Lizard
17-01-07, 14:44
Hi,

That is fantastic! I will definitely be there!

L

PanickyPolly
18-01-07, 11:36
Sounds great. I just hope he doesn't force us all to go to Japan.

Viney
18-01-07, 21:59
Pleased to see Paul will be on the forum, it will be interesting to hear his views.

I have two questions which I would be pleased if you could ask

1) I have been taking Magnolia & Rhodiola Complex which has Relora, Rhodiola Rosae and L-Theanine for about the last 6 months and my PANIC ATTACKS are now 95% gone. I have found these more effective than the CBT I was having. I know the tablets are effective because when I stopped taking them I relapsed in to an anxious state. Does Paul have any views on these or any other tablets and is it something which he would/does endorse?

2) Which he probably wont answer as it is about the program. Why did he not show how the people behaved on the plane which would have made very interesting viewing as to how they managed to cope?

Thanks

thriver
20-01-07, 08:17
I can completely understand why Prof. Salkovskis could not discuss the television programme because in doing so he might break any confidentiality agreements or just plain and simple trust that he and the participants have.

But I'm a bit baffled at why there's not a thread for the members here to discuss the program!

(I'm very new or else I guess I'd start one....)

As to how the people coped on the flight, I don't know. Good question. Even non-panic sufferers often take medication to fly, and I know that to make that flight, I'd have to do it. Flying is the ONLY time that I routinely have to take Xanax and only on long-haul.

I guess I would like to know his position on medication as an *adjunct* to CBT. I don't think medication alone is effective, but I also don't believe that CBT is 100% effective without medication, and that some people need to be on meds for a while before they can begin the intense CBT that was depicted on the programme.

EDIT: found the "House" thread elsewhere. :)

nomorepanic
29-01-07, 22:27
Just to remind you all to get questions in this week for Paul

Thanks

Nicola

Piglet
29-01-07, 22:50
Nic - do we add them on this thread or pm them to you??

Piglet xx

nomorepanic
29-01-07, 23:40
Either Piglet

Nicola

Piglet
30-01-07, 12:20
Okey dokey - here are some general questions that most agoraphobics might ask. I'm not thinking Prof Paul will answer them all - I'm just throwing them into the pot!! :D

1. What could be a first sensible step for an agoraphobic to take to try to recover?

2. If I approach my doctor what sort of support could I expect him to give me or indeed should I be asking for?

3. Given that we are advised to get out there and give it a go, do you thinking flooding is a good thing or a bad thing cos my experience with this tends to put me backwards not forwards?

4. What tips can you give if we have a panic attack while alone on an outing - as it's so hard to hold onto reality when in the grips of panic and all it's accompanying symptoms?

5. Can general anxiety on a more daily basis also be improved by dealing with the panic attacks or are different methods needed for each.

6. How do we best deal with feeling physically and emotionally overwrought while trying to recover.

Piglet :D

bobsy
30-01-07, 12:30
I would like to ask

How to deal with setbacks cos if i have a panic it puts me off trying again as i think all the wrong things and i know the right way to go is to go right back and do it again but its hard.

When panicking is it best to distract or try to ride with it.

thanks

bobsy

Quirky
30-01-07, 15:16
I probably won't be able to make the chat but I would like to ask a question similar to number three on Piglets list if possible: ie when trying to overcome a fear it it better to take small baby steps towards achieving that goal or it is better to just face it full on (flooding).

Thanks,

Lisa x

bernadette
30-01-07, 16:15
wont miss that for the world thanks paul for taking time out of you bussy sceduel thanks detty from liverpool xxxx

nomorepanic
31-01-07, 21:21
Just to remind you all that tomorrow night is the LIVE chat with Paul

See you all there.

Nicola

Trev
01-02-07, 10:42
I know it starts at 9 but I will be about 15mins late if that is ok?
I've started climbing club a couple of months ago and it ends at 9.

Cheers,
Trev

nomorepanic
01-02-07, 12:31
Trev

Late-comers have to bring the Pringles on Piglet's orders!

Nicola

Trev
01-02-07, 15:27
:D:D:D

I'll bring them no worries as long as you kick Piglet every now and then to tell her to pay attention at the back of the class and not just sit there licking the coatings off. :D

I'll also need to square up an overdraught facility first to keep the Pringle mountain supplied!! Will ring the bank manager now.

Catch you later (if I don't fall off a wall [^])

Cheers,
Trev

Piglet
01-02-07, 17:08
Piglet gazes out of the window to daydream, or even better stares at her reflection in the window wondering if her shade of lipstick is right for this occassion, licking the flavour off her pringles (like ya do)!!

"Piglet, Piglet, Piglet, wake up - what is your question" asks the Prof.

Erm, erm....., ooh yes I know, whats the ph value of Baileys???

Piglet is told to wait outstide!!!!![V][}:)]:D:D

Danielle_ARG
01-02-07, 18:05
Ill be here, this will be awesome.

Daniellexxx

nomorepanic
01-02-07, 19:58
I will repeat this later in chat but the basic format is this...

I will moderate the chat room so all responses/comments come to me and then I will release them.

Paul has been given the questions up-front and will answer as many of them as possible in the time allowed.

We have about 15 questions so 5 minutes discussion time per answer.

Thanks and enjoy!

Nicola

Trev
02-02-07, 09:28
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Erm, erm....., ooh yes I know, whats the ph value of Baileys???</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

:D:D:D:D:D Very funny. You do make me laugh. :D:D:D:D:D

A huge thanks to Nic and Paul for putting on last nights event.

I missed the first 15mins but did catch the answer to my question thanks.
Will you be sticking the Profs answers somewhere Nic that so that we can view them in a more leisurely way.

I always struggle with the chat room because by the time I've typed anything the whole thing has moved on a page!!!! blokes can only focus on one thing at a time you know!! [:I]:D

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Trev

Piglet
02-02-07, 11:42
I was really pleased with the answers to my questions as they confirmed I am on the right track (I just need to stop being quite so lazy though) with the managable chunks method.

I don't know why but I had thought that we had to really get out there and 'flood' but I didn't like that prospect at all, so whilst we all know we do have to actually go out and take the 'leap of faith' it's nice to know this can be done in smaller slots.

All in all a very reassuring hour - thanks Paul :D:D:D

Trev - :D:D:D

Piglet x