PDA

View Full Version : new member

jill
01-09-04, 00:44
hi im jill, my panic attacks started 9 weeks ago. going on holiday in the airport 15 mins before going through depature.panic attack lasted right through the flight and airways only stared to open when i got off the plain, i am not even scared of flying. it left me terrfied and feeling
somthing terrible was going to happen, my senses were hightend and i felt as though i was in a dream word, frightend of any sound or suden movement it was really strage. in the week i stayed i had about 5 panic attacks a night even more somtimes because i was having them in my sleep. every day was a challenge i am 40 year of age and i have never in my life felt fear like this.

sal
01-09-04, 00:53
Hi Jill

Welcome to the site.

Sorry to hear how you are feeling and i know how hard it is to understand.

I know what you are saying when you have never felt fear like it, suddenly form no where you feel like you have no control over who you are.

I am pleased you have found this site as you will realise how you are feeling is quite common to anxiety suffers.

You will have to tell us more about yourself.

Love Sal xxxxx

Karen
01-09-04, 00:55
Hi Jill

Welcome to the site. I am sure you will find a lot of support here and everyone is so friendly.

Briary

Meg
01-09-04, 01:30
Hi Jill,

Welcome.

Sorry to hear you had such a rough time away. Were you with your family ?

What thoughts were whizzing through your head just prior to it all. Usually ' what if' ones or concerns about leaving people behind. Had you been unduly stressed the days before this or had a life event in the last few weeks/ months ?

Did you seek medical help - what did they advise ?

Take care and hope you get some rest tonight .

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

jill
01-09-04, 01:44
hi meg yes i did go and see a doctor he told me i was having panic attacts. he put me on a small amount of med told me not to worry just go away and enjoy my holiday, of coure i was frightend to take the med beacause i was not sure what it was but i took it because i was so desparate and scared not knowing the full effects a panic attack can have on someone. i thought when u had a panic attack your airways closed slightly and that was it. so of course i thoght that there was somthing really wrong with me thoght i had a very bad illness, or was losing my mind. now i know that this is not true there a alot of people out there suffaring with the same thing..

sal
01-09-04, 09:04
Hi Jill

Are you still taking the tablets the doctor gave you?

I am pleased you can see how you are not alone in how you feel and there is lots of support for you.

Love Sal xxxxx

nomorepanic
01-09-04, 11:21
Hi Jill

Welcome to the site and message forum.

Was it you that was in chat last night - if so it was lovely to meet you?

Nicola

sarah
01-09-04, 11:24
Hello Jill

Welcome to the site. I hope you can get the support you need here.

How are you feeling now you are back home? Are you still getting panics every night?

take care
love Sarah
xx

oshun
01-09-04, 13:41
hello jill

i think i met you in the chat room last night? it was nice to meet you and the others for the first time. also we are the same age, so i thought i would mention that. its good that your doctor is giving you some help. i remember when i first got this problem some years ago, what a rigmarole it was to get any help!

do you have any idea what triggred the anxiety? you say you are not scared of flying but maybe the stress of being in a confined space? well i hope you feel better soon. nice talking to you, take care

oshun

Meg
01-09-04, 14:05
Hi Jill,

i thought when u had a panic attack your airways closed slightly and that was it
I hope that you have read enough posts nad information now to realise that the truth is just the reverse !! When you panic your lungs actually increase in size ( to enable flight ) so when you feel breathless its because you need to breathe in more air to fill the increased space not that your airways are shutting in any way .

So did you see a doctor when you were abroad ? What did he give you and what did he suggest for follow up ?

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

tara
01-09-04, 18:25
Hi Jill, sorry to hear about your panic attack, It's awful frightening. I'm Tara, aged 29, i have a 4year old son and suffer anxiety, depression and occasional panic, i'm sure you'll find lots of help and support on here, Tara xxx

seh1980
01-09-04, 20:59
hello there,

Just wanted to say welcome aboard!!

Sarah :D

jill
06-09-04, 19:32
since i came back off holiday in june i was lucky and had no more panic attacks. allthoug at times throughout the day i would feel really ill and couldnt umderstand why. i went to my doctors and she sent me for lots of test nothing came of these test and i was told i was suffering with panic attacks, by this time i had got a book from the library on panic attacks and this really helped me to understand it a little bit more, the doctor smiled at me when she saw the book and told me if i wanted i could see a counciler who would point me in the right direction. i have choosen to do this but there is a 3 month waiting list. every day my anxiety levels are very high i get frightend very easy e.g went on hols again in august in a caravan anyone walking in the van made it shake this frighted the life out of me or mother inlaw who has asma was coughing she always does this has never botherd me before but now i cant seem to help myself i feel very frighted. went shoping with my mum no kids just the 2 of us. i was really looking forward to it. got to the shops then wam a panic attack one after another after another i could not make them stop. home again fed up need more information and this is how i found this site, hours serching on the web.i am still trying to read everything on this site it takes time. this site has given me hope i can see the light at the end of the tunnel were as before i thought there was no hope of normality.

A BIG THANKS 2 EVERYONE

Jill:D:D