PDA

View Full Version : Can Any One Explain the Process Of A Panic Attach

MasterJPK69
10-01-07, 05:16
Can Anyone explain the process of a panic attach cause i think i am still confused on what i am feeling here some times i wonder if that is really what i am having.!

James

Patience is a Virtue!
Remember good things come to those who wait for them!

Rennie1989
10-01-07, 09:08
They are different for different people. Some have hyperventilation and some don't but some get pins and needles and some don't. A panic attack is mainly physical symptoms but you also can get emotional like fear.

"My teddy last night was a paper bag, to keep my safe."

neelhm
10-01-07, 09:17
Hi James
A panic attack is a reaction to a perceived threat. This is what is known as fight or flight, ie either facing the threat or running away from it. We originally needed this to survive as in primitive "man" encountering a dangerous animal and either having to fight it or run.
Our bodies prepares for this by increasing the breathing to take in extra oxygen for the muscles. The heart rate goes up in order to pump the blood out to your extremeties needed to fight or running fast, so blood leaves the stomache and you will feel a need to empty your bowels. The body also starts to extract water, making you sweat and giving you a dry mouth. Your vision and hearing is also affected.
The problem is that the brain does not know the difference between a "real" threat and a perceived one and because we don't actually use the muscles etc which are ready for battle, we end up with pins and needles and all the other wonderful symptoms.
Also the brain can get stuck in this high alert mode and it takes time to get back down to a normal level.
Hope this makes sense - I am still waking up :)
Take care.
N

Keitharcher
11-01-07, 20:44
Neelhm has given a text book answer that explains the way a panic develops beautifully

Keith

Meg
13-01-07, 14:28
Master,

Why don't you explain to us what happens to you and as we're all affected a bit differently the effects may be different than what you had read previously. Lots also depends on what symptoms scare you and thus you dwell on...

Read up on the home pages about how it all works physiologically and how that mostly stems from what you're thinking at the time.

Meg

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress