PDA

View Full Version : Gone from sertraline to venlafaxine

wabbit1
09-01-15, 23:23
I stopped sertraline about 2.5 weeks ago. I started venlafaxine yesterday morning and now my anxiety levels are through the roof. Is this normal?

TJSMITH
10-01-15, 00:03
Changing meds can cause this as did for me when went from citalopram to sertraline. Hang on there it will get better x

SADnomore
10-01-15, 03:46
When I started venlaxafine, I felt some physical tension that I was eventually able to realize was stemming from my gut. When we consider that 90% of our serotonin receptors lie in the gut, it makes sense that we will therefore feel a lot more of what we identify as anxiety precursors as a new med begins its work. The knots-in-stomach "told" me I was anxious, and mentally engaged me to go ahead and get anxious. These receptors are also in the brain, of course.

SSRIs (or SNRIs) work by inhibiting the reuptake (stopping the removal) of serotonin from our system by shutting off the receptors, including those in the "second brain", our gut. I read a really good description of how it is that their desired serotonin action begins with the shutting off of the receptors that normally take serotonin out of our system, but at the same time, the brain then briefly closes the other end that usually releases serotonin. As I began to visualize all the little receptors slamming shut, I was able to relate it to the stomach tightening and realize that much of it was physical, just a side-effect of the temporary dip in serotonin until the brain figures out it's okay to release more. Then the level rises and stays stable, and we experience relief. Meanwhile, I found a heating pad or hot water bottle against the belly to be very soothing, along with small, nourishing meals and lots of fluids and rest. As TJ says, hang on, it will get better! There's lots of support on this site for those of us on venlaxafine. Pinkdove's "from citalopram to venlaxafine, good stories please!!!" is good to read :) I'm happy to report that ven is working well for me now, too.

All the best! :flowers:
Marie

nicola1980
10-01-15, 03:54
Hi yep this is totally normal, when I started ven my anxiety rocketed to the point I nearly gave us on day 3 but try and stick with it, what dose have you started off on? I started on 37.5mg and slowly built up. Have you any Diazepam or anything you through the start up effects? It does get better so hang on in there XX

Dan1975
11-01-15, 23:08
I've been on loads of different AD's and ven is by far he best. No real side effects at all a fter a month or so