PDA

View Full Version : This must be health anxiety?

russ
10-01-07, 09:36
I have a long story to tell, but I'm fairly sure I've developed great anxiety over my health (and perhaps you will see why when I explain).

Both my Dad and Nan passed away from Bowel Cancer in the last few months. I guess the first sign I was anxious about my own health was when I found a lump in my groin just after Dad was diagnosed, thankfully if was just a collection of fluid, however, looking back it was the start of my problems.

I put them down to seeing far too much and remember most of it. I spent a long time caring for both my Dad and Nan and have experienced the worst of things. I would always try to reassure my Dad he would be fine, but always the worst case appeared to come true. Then there was the constant visits to hospital and seeing people in awful situations. Then we sat with dad for 30 hours as he died and when Nan was dying we had 3 false callouts where she was critically ill but didn't pass away, for weeks and even months I slept with my clothes and everything I needed close to hand on an almost permanent state of alert, especially during the evenings. The list just goes on and on and sticks in my mind, even down to having to carry my father down the garden to the car when he was so ill and weak.

Since their passing I thought I was fine, but then I had chest pains myself, at first I feared a heart attack. I've had all the tests at A&E, but have been told I am fine and need no further follow-up appointment. They have actually diagnosed costochondritis (where you hurt the ribs), this can take months or years to get better, but the last Doc I saw said it sounded more like anxiety. What I don't understand is when I feel the pains I don't feel anxious!

The symptoms I get are:

1 - A lump in my throat, especially around evenings.
2 - Pains in my chest most days on and off, very painful.
3 - A real dred of evenings and the dark.

I didn't think anxiety could cause such physical pain, if indeed anxiety is the true cause.

I'm just constantly scared the Doctors have missed something and I'm going to have a heart attack, I'm constantly worried and have yet to return to the doctor despite the A&E saying so, what is beyond death?

I just don't know what to do, if the pains would stop I feel I could move forward.

debstar
10-01-07, 09:50
Hi Russ,

You have been through a very rough time.

All your symptoms sound like anxiety. I too suffer from health anxiety and I am just amazed at the symptoms that you can produce. I too went through the anxiety of having a heart attack due to pains in the chest. The pain went and then moved into my head. I thought too that if these pains go I could move forward. With help from therapy and hypnosis I am moving on. Last year I also had a bowel scare when I had bleeding. I was beside myself as I had watched my Grandfather die from bowel cancer. Tests were all ok.

I think that you may benefit from talking to someone about what you went through with your Dad and Nan. It will take a great load off your chest.

Deb

belle
10-01-07, 10:17
Hi Russ..
You're not alone with the main symptoms you are experiencing. All 3 things you mention I too have. I only posted a message on Saturday about how i recently dread the dark. No. 1 & 2 are as i am aware are very much related to anxiety.

I have that feeling of a lump in my throat regulary and the pains too. I had many tests at hospital for chest pains and they resulted in nothing, like you, no follow up needed!

Anxiety IS crappy and it convinces you that you're ill because of all the symptoms it produces. If you are unsure about a symptom, get it check from the doctors, so your mind can be put at ease.

Take Care..
Sarah x

ceecee
10-01-07, 11:25
hi russ
sorry that you have had such a traumatic time,my heart goes out to you.
what you are experiencing is anxiety,though i know how hard it is to try and tell yourself.have you had any therapy,as obviously it stems from the difficult time you,ve been going through.perhaps it might be worth going to your doctor and asking for a referral.
take care i hope you feel better soon
rach x

jodie
10-01-07, 12:41
hi russ

i know were your coming from i have had a lot of death in my life to i lost my doughter 8 years ago then my gran grandad and so on my dad was on a life support late last year and is still very ill .it seems like my health anxiety started 8 years ago to i think it is the fact that we have seen so much !
as everyone has sead your symptoms sound very much like anxiety it s just so hard to belive this when all you seem to think with health anxiety if that we have somthing wrong with us .
if things dont get anybetter go back and try get some help with it all see what is avalable
love jodie x