PDA

View Full Version : Is it as simple as positive thinking

superjonboy
10-01-15, 22:46
My wife and family keep telling me I need to smile and be positive. Is it as simple as that though?

I know that in the past when I got better a massive part of it involved changing my thinking.

I keep thinking that maybe this time Ive got some messed up thing where I don't want to get better or that I can't for some reason :weep:

lior
10-01-15, 22:48
It's not as simple as smiling and being positive. Sometimes there are underlying reasons for things that you need to confront, and change your behaviour.

If you're struggling a lot, counselling or CBT helps a lot of people.

superjonboy
11-01-15, 00:49
I've done loads of CBT in the past but because the last few years have been good not really done any.

Doctor has referred me for some counselling which starts on Tuesday.

---------- Post added 11-01-15 at 00:49 ---------- Previous post was 10-01-15 at 23:16 ----------

Does anyone else ever feel scared to kind of laugh or do positive thinking incase the bad thoughts you were having come true?

eevee
11-01-15, 01:31
Sometimes I'm worried that by thinking positively, I'll jinx myself, if that's what you mean :S

superjonboy
11-01-15, 19:00
Hi eevee,

Yes that's exactly what I mean.

Scared to change the horrible thoughts for a positive one in case the horrible one comes true.

Fishmanpa
11-01-15, 19:08
Lior is correct that it's not as "simple" as just thinking positive. There's more to it such as therapy and such to get yourself into a good place. That being said, attitude plays a HUGE role in our well being both mentally and physically.

I know for a fact that a positive attitude helped me through my cancer as well as many other very challenging times in my life.

"Life is 10% what happens to us an 90% how we handle it." Charles Swindoll

It's also why I end every post with....

Positive thoughts

Akaleez
11-01-15, 19:18
Hi eevee,

Yes that's exactly what I mean.

Scared to change the horrible thoughts for a positive one in case the horrible one comes true.

Thats what im like :( its so hard to feel positive :(

Katki
11-01-15, 19:55
There will be days where you don't feel positive and days when you do. Just like everyone, anxious or not.

The important part is that you take steps to become more positive, doesn't matter if it's slowly, as long as you work towards being more positive and changing your mindset little by little you are doing the right thing. Gradual is probably better, actually.