PDA

View Full Version : How do I 'ignore' symptoms and sensations?

snowflake293
11-01-15, 11:43
I have come to the conclusion that I am wasting way too much of my time focusing on physical sensations, aches, pains etc...

I do have some issues that I know are there and there are endometriosis which I am being treated for with a mirena coil and pain killers and this is managed well. In addition to that I am waiting for blood tests to see if I have rheumatoid arthritis as I have pain and clicking in my ankle and back and shoulder pain and clicking.

The above symptoms seem to worry me LESS even though I can feel them MORE than the stuff I am WORRIED about:

- bladder cancer
- skin cancer
- sinus cancer

All of the above are HA related!

I was just wondering if anyone can offer any advice on how I can 'switch off' from this? I do find hobbies help like crafts, music, or even just watching a film or reading a book.

Are there any medications that can help with this? I am currently on Sertraline and occasional diazepam for when I get really panicky. Definitely better since I've started meds but I just cant switch off and I am exhausted :weep:

I feel like I am dying, even though I know I'm not - I get this panicky sensation that my body is 'shutting down' and then I just feel angry at myself cause I know it isn't 'real'? Does that make sense?

I think the anxiety causes a lot of the symptoms and just makes me hyper aware. I just want to switch off. Do beta blockers help with this? I don't know much about them, I did have them for stress headaches many years ago but I came off them pretty sharpish as they made me really tired.

Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated, feeling at a really low ebb with it today :weep:

Snowflake xxx

herbie73
11-01-15, 11:56
Hi snowflake, I know how hard it is when you are in the grip ofha, I think deep down you know that you are fine, but your anxiety won't let you believe it, as you probably know I have been obsessing over my right boob for 6 weeks now, but yesterday I noticed because I've lost weight my left boob looked much bigger than right one, now I'm obsessing over that, its just our minds twisting things, its things people without ha wouldn'tnotice, iI'm on prozac which has taken the edge of, and talking on here helps, if you need to chat Iam here for you xx

snowflake293
11-01-15, 12:00
Thanks Herbie. I know you have had a tough time of it lately too - it's rubbish isn't it? I do think I have an obsession/phobia around cancer/death/illness/loss that was triggered by my Mom having breast cancer a few years ago.

Meds definitely do help take the edge off. I am definitely less 'bothered' by it now if that make sense? Like I know I have the symptoms and I am frightened, but it doesn't get to me as much as it did.

I am just so tired and achy and feel weak. I want to be fit, healthy, happy and normal. I think a bit part of it is pushing myself to do things, I have really withdrawn from a lot of activities recently - especially exercise! I was supposed to go swimming today but have left it cause I just have this 'ill' feeling.

xx

herbie73
11-01-15, 12:08
Your mum being poorly would definitely trigger it, I had a school friend die suddenly in sept, which I think was a trigger, but its not dying suddenly that worries me, more a terminal illness, I hope you mum is OK now, it must have been tough for you, maybe if we all support each other on here, we will get through it.xxx

snowflake293
11-01-15, 12:15
I'm sorry to hear that, how awful :( It is so upsetting when these things happen, especially when its so unexpected. I am scared of all illnesses and dying :( My Mom is doing much better now, she finished all her treatment some time ago now and just has regular check-ups which is great. Always scared of it coming back though. I used to go with her for her treatment and towards the end she was very poorly, was very hard and upsetting to see and find it hard to let go of that. I am very close to her.

Definitely helps coming here and talking to people thanks so much for your support :)

Just wish I could find a way of switching off as all the worry is exhausting :( x

herbie73
11-01-15, 12:20
Don't worry you will get there, like I said before I am here if you need to chat, and there are so many wonderful people on here, I'm glad your mum is doing well, xxx

snowflake293
11-01-15, 12:44
Thanks Herbie :) You are right there are lots of wonderful people on here, it has been such a huge source of support for me. I am here if you need someone to talk to too xxx

Mindknot
11-01-15, 18:11
Snowflake you are focusing on three specific diseases there, so you look hard enough or worry about them enough, you probably are quite likely to focus on "symptoms" that you think are indicative - it's probably not, just your normal body & hypersensitivity.

I think the trick to floating is to not to concentrate on checking out your symptoms in your head, so occupying your mind with something else is good. I keep saying it all the time on this forum, but exercise has truly helped me a lot - the stronger my body has got through exercise the less my head can be convinced that it's actually falling to pieces :)

bingjam
11-01-15, 19:40
I've had anxiety for a long time, but health anxiety for only a few years (only I say)

And from the start I've always worried about skin cancer it's always been there in the back of my mind, this one mole on my boobie that's always look weord, funny colours looks like a paint splatter, and when my anxiety really flares up I'm always convinced that it's melonoma, then when my anxiety calms down the worry sort of goes away,

Like now when my anxiety is super super super high, the fear and dread of this mole is back, as well as a brain tumor and heart disease of some sort,

So I guess the symptoms never actually go away as long as the anxiety is still there, they just get easier the less anxiety you have, what I've come to terms with is, this funny little guy on my booby will always make me worry at the peak of my anxiety, and other things will come along for the ride too,

snowflake293
12-01-15, 16:33
I am definitely hypersensitive to symptoms, if I can feel a lump or bump I will examine it and squeeze it 'til it is sore!

Currently got issues 'down there' and CONVINCED it is the c-word, the sensations aren't actually that severe, but cause I am thinking about them all the time, they are all I think about, just so hyper aware of everything and terrified everything will kill me.

Exercise definitely helps me, this time last year I was going 3 classes a week as well as swimming and I really felt a lot better. I am going to go swimming more often as it really helps me to relax.

Also find hobbies are good too... just wish my number one hobby wasn't GOOGLING :( honestly, I hate myself for being so stupid to do it - did it today and now I am convinced I have cancer. I should just never Google again!

Thanks for your replies x

Serenity1990
12-01-15, 16:49
I think it's more about accepting them than ignoring them. The subconscious parts of your brain that deal with adrenaline secretion etc. cannot distinguish between real and perceived danger. Once you learn to accept these weird and wonderful sensations then you'll stop noticing them. The route to this acceptance is accepting what your doctors tell you.

Easier said than done, but you can do it. :)

wnsos
12-01-15, 18:38
Agree with Serenity. You just have to reach that point where you're so sick of the fear you actively stop yourself by saying "do whatever you will, I'm going to live my life." Or as cpe says, feel the fear and do it anyway. Everything he said is on point. You can definitely do it. :hugs:

snowflake293
12-01-15, 19:59
Thanks so much guys, my therapist has mentioned about 'acknowledging' feelings instead of ignoring them so doing work on that at the moment, it is tough - can't believe how much of a state I have got myself in over this. Seriously hit rock bottom right before Christmas and slowly crawling back now with lots of set backs. Feels so good coming here and talking to people who understand. I find it VERY difficult to explain what is going on to most people, even friends and family.

I seriously think I imagine symptoms that aren't there - this really concerns me cause now I am worrying whether or not things are 'real' or not and I am also worried I am going properly mad! For example, if I feel a slight itch somewhere I will focus on nothing but the itch 'til it feels like pain if that makes sense?

Really need to pull myself out of this state. Going for a smear test tomorrow and blood tests and terrified of having another meltdown in the waiting room, got my BF coming with me bless him, but I am just so worked up over it.

Really hate this.

Thanks for your support xx

flipsake
13-01-15, 00:35
Oh my you guys are just like me.
I set off a full blown panic tonight over feeling (wait for it) full. Yes I was full and turned it into some kind of stomach disorder and of course the dreaded c word popped its head in. An hour later and I'd forgotten about the fullness because the anxiety effects were so bad I had moved on to worrying about my BP and being a total failure to my family.
All this especially bad lately since my mum had cancer. She's making good progress at the moment but it seems to have made my HA make an especially bad visit.

I also need someone to talk to.

Two googling tips for you:
1) never ever Google
2) if you just can't stop yourself. Google your symptom with the word anxiety after. You'll very likely come back here or somewhere with a discussion about how anxiety caused that symptom. Once you find this explanation accept it and look no further. Do not follow the links to medical sites as they will not be helpful. If the symptom persists you must see the doc and that is usually the best and quickest way to knock the particular issue on the head.

I agree excercise is a great idea but very difficult to do in the midst of a bad patch. Even something gentle is a help though. Walk around your local shops for an hour or two. It gets you moving and also distracts you. Swimming is brilliant as it seems to be both good excercise and relaxing at the same time.

If you find any good tips to help you ignore sensations then please let me know. Boy do I need those tips just now.

Flip x

crystal17
13-01-15, 20:55
Hello, these things help for me when in the moment:

- See someone. Can be anyone, even someone in a shop, just someone you can talk to for a few minutes. Preferably a good friend and talk about them!
- Watch stuff on TV/youtube etc that makes you laugh
- Look out of the nearest window and just watch the people and let your mind wander about where they're going.

They are distractions, but there is evidence that distraction is not always the way to go. Another technique is to welcome the thoughts and worries and think about them in detail, like the way you'd plan what you're having for dinner. It helps your brain to process them as 'regular' thoughts, therefore takes the power out of them.

Long term. find a really good counsellor, this is so hard but worth it to look after your well being.

---------- Post added at 20:55 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

I set off a full blown panic tonight over feeling (wait for it) full. Yes I was full and turned it into some kind of stomach disorder and of course the dreaded c word popped its head in. An hour later and I'd forgotten about the fullness because the anxiety effects were so bad I had moved on to worrying about my BP and being a total failure to my family.
All this especially bad lately since my mum had cancer. She's making good progress at the moment but it seems to have made my HA make an especially bad visit.

1) never ever Google
2) if you just can't stop yourself. Google your symptom with the word anxiety after. You'll very likely come back here or somewhere with a discussion about how anxiety caused that symptom. Once you find this explanation accept it and look no further. Do not follow the links to medical sites as they will not be helpful. If the symptom persists you must see the doc and that is usually the best and quickest way to knock the particular issue on the head.

I agree excercise is a great idea but very difficult to do in the midst of a bad patch. Even something gentle is a help though. Walk around your local shops for an hour or two. It gets you moving and also distracts you. Swimming is brilliant as it seems to be both good excercise and relaxing at the same time.

If you find any good tips to help you ignore sensations then please let me know. Boy do I need those tips just now.

Flip x

I love what you said about googling :) putting 'anxiety' after symptoms is much more realistic, as it is VERY hard to never google :roflmao:

snowflake293
13-01-15, 22:41

1) never ever Google

Flip x

You are so much like me lol! I have to almost laugh at myself sometimes, its the only thing that keeps me going at times. It is no laughing matter when we are in the midst of panic and worry though.

I wish I had NEVER discovered Google and I really want to stop it. It only ever shows up worst case scenarios, very very rarely it will actually put my mind at rest. It just isn't worth chancing it!

Thanks for your reply and wishing you all the best :bighug1:

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:40 ----------

Hello, these things help for me when in the moment:

- See someone. Can be anyone, even someone in a shop, just someone you can talk to for a few minutes. Preferably a good friend and talk about them!
- Watch stuff on TV/youtube etc that makes you laugh
- Look out of the nearest window and just watch the people and let your mind wander about where they're going.

They are distractions, but there is evidence that distraction is not always the way to go. Another technique is to welcome the thoughts and worries and think about them in detail, like the way you'd plan what you're having for dinner. It helps your brain to process them as 'regular' thoughts, therefore takes the power out of them.

Long term. find a really good counsellor, this is so hard but worth it to look after your well being.

---------- Post added at 20:55 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

I love what you said about googling :) putting 'anxiety' after symptoms is much more realistic, as it is VERY hard to never google :roflmao:

Thanks Crystal :) all good tips! I am having CBT and it is really helping, got my 4th or 5th (cant remember, think its 4th) session tomorrow so fingers crossed that'll help.

xx