PDA

View Full Version : Hi there

Rosie_82
11-01-15, 21:07
Hi all,

It's wonderful to find this community. I'm just starting on the road to recovery from social anxiety and this looks like a good place to stop and chat with others who are also travelling down it.

About me: I've recently moved to London from Australia (eeek!) on my own (double eeek!) and started a new job here (triple eeek!!). Needless to say I am definitely out of my comfort zone and struggling a bit more than usual.

Here's my mini success story for today: For weeks I've been wanting to go on a guided tour of a certain art exhibition and today I finally did it! I felt the scary monster starting to claw at me as I approached the meeting point, and had to turn around to compose myself in the restroom for a few minutes, but then I walked back out and enjoyed the tour. I learned a lot from the tour guide and am so glad I went!

I find galleries and museums to be good places to challenge myself as they're public places where you don't have to interact with anyone and it's ok to just stand and be quiet but around lots of other people at the same time. Does anyone else experience this?

Nice to meet you all :)

venusbluejeans
11-01-15, 21:13
Hiya Rosie_82 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

alan15
11-01-15, 21:18
Hi Rosie, welcome to NMP and to London. I live near a few of the art galleries in London, it is good to go to places like that for me, I have never done a guided tour though, maybe one day. ALAN

Rosie_82
11-01-15, 21:27
Thanks Alan and Venusbluejeans
:emot-wave:

Jomo
11-01-15, 22:03
I kinda get the same thing, well at least i find my anxiety calms when I'm amongst lots of people and feel anonymous. Recent example was end of November around the whole black Friday craziness, It was my birthday and i had been given some vouchers, so I talked myself into spending them in the shops and not online. Got in a right state getting ready and leaving the house, getting the bus etc yet once I got into the busy shopping center I sat on a bench and people watched for a bit. My anxiety subsided quite a lot, I felt almost calm! Not knowing any of the faces fekt safe somehow.
Its wonderful that your on your way to recovery and found ways of coping, well done on the gallery tour! xx

alan15
17-01-15, 16:48
Hi Rosie, hope you are ok and settling into London. ALAN