PDA

View Full Version : Extreme guilt/anxiety over job offer...

.Poppy.
12-01-15, 16:16
So, I am going back to school this semester to get a degree in business. I was hoping to find part-time employment as well, which is slightly easier since I can now apply for student jobs.

I applied for a job in the athletics ticket office, interviewed, and got an email telling me I can have the job if I want it. The people there were all really nice and I think I might liking working there, but I'm not sure.

As much fun as the job would be, I really want to find something that pertains more to my major. The ticket office job is largely hospitality. There's some office experience, but not really enough to be relevant. I'd also have to work several sporting events and quit one of my seasonal part-time jobs (I work weekends during football season in the suites) to work this one. It's not much, but it's extra money and I really like the people I work with.

I'd also like to take some time to get used to my new schedule and get back into the swing of school (I was off last semester) before I add a job on top of it. And I have no idea how heavy my class load is going to be, I think maybe it'd be a good idea to get a grasp of that first.

So, there really are more cons than pros to accepting this job. But, I feel bad for denying it since I'm glad she offered it to me. And I keep thinking: what if? What if I don't find a job somewhere else? What if this job would open more doors for me than I am currently anticipating?

Is there a way to get rid of this awful feeling, or is it there for a reason and I'm making a huge mistake for turning the offer down?

I need to email her my response today, I think. I am so conflicted! :scared15:

Toynova63
12-01-15, 17:04
I think if you're questioning the decision then the decision should be to pass on the offer. You know what type of job you want and need. Hold out for what will benefit your future. I am sure they have many applicants and will have no trouble finding another. Go with what your gut tells you...YOU WILL FIND WHAT YOURE LOOKING FOR!! :)

Mary

.Poppy.
12-01-15, 18:53
I think if you're questioning the decision then the decision should be to pass on the offer. You know what type of job you want and need. Hold out for what will benefit your future. I am sure they have many applicants and will have no trouble finding another. Go with what your gut tells you...YOU WILL FIND WHAT YOURE LOOKING FOR!! :)

Mary

Thanks. I'm fighting to believe that!

It's just hard to get the idea that maybe this IS an opportunity that I'm just not seeing. When I sit down and think it through, I feel like it isn't really, but then in the back of my mind that "what if" comes in and I start feeling doubt.

The, of course, I don't want to feel ungrateful or like I'm letting them down or disappointing them in any way. They do have other hires, she told me there's a whole group, but still.

And I guess I just don't have a lot of faith in myself or my decisions right now. I feel like I'm constantly making a mistake and I don't know what I really want or how I'm going to get it. Part of me feels like I'm turning down the job just because I don't want to work it, but I think that's just in my head because my father thinks I'm lazy, immature, and unmotivated and he's made me kind of believe him.

It's like I'm thinking that as an adult (I'm 23) I should have a job and be making money. I should do the responsible thing. That to hold out for anything else is silly and immature and impractical.

Toynova63
12-01-15, 22:18
The real responsible thing to do is take care of yourself first! You are an adult but that does not mean you have to just take whatever is offered...you have a choice. Your father shouldn't be tearing you down, he should be building you up!! Telling you that you can do anything you put your mind to. Positive thinking gives positive results! The beauty of being an adult (at least in my eyes) is the ability to make those decisions yourself, how else do you learn.