PDA

View Full Version : Holiday anxiety

Munki
12-01-15, 19:39
I'm being really good at the moment and telling the intrusive thoughts to bugger off. I realise only I can do this. I'm definitely improving. I could no longer stand the anticipation anxiety that ruined all of my holiday build ups when, actually, I just want to be excited.

However, I'm off skiing in 4 weeks and have seen a few news items about ski accidents. I tell my thoughts 'they're off piste, crazy risk takers etc and I'll be on the nursery slopes etc' but still...still that little thought sneaks in saying, '...but what if it's a 'sign'' Does anyone else get this?

How do I tell myself that these thoughts are EVIL and lying to me and actually have faith in that? I need some reassurance that I can trust myself in pushing them out.

I'm so close to a big turnaround here, just need that last bit of reassurance folks please. Is it truly just in my head and not a sign?

Annie0904
13-01-15, 17:56
Everything in life is a risk, walking out of the front door is a risk. I fell off a ladder in the house and badly injured myself. We have to get on do the things we enjoy, so long as you don't do the crazy things (like off piste!).
A skiing holiday sounds like great fun :) My daughter is going snowboarding the first week in February.
Having said that I always get the what ifs before the holiday but my motto is feel the fear and do it anyway :). I hope you have a wonderful time.

Munki
13-01-15, 17:59
You're right there, Annie. I say this to myself too. Sorry to hear about your accident :(

Has your daughter been before? Is she good or a beginner?

I'm actually excited but think I'm anxious I'll become very anxious beforehand!

Annie0904
13-01-15, 18:15
I am fine now, I fractured 2 metatarsals which took a long time to heal.
Yes my daughter has been before. They lived in Canada for a year and used to go snowboarding at Whistler. Her husband trained as a snowboard instructor but my daughter isn't as advanced as he is. They have done all sorts of what I call dangerous things like cycling down here http://mpora.com/articles/bolivia-death-road-terrifying#wd1CTyBMaIPGb6MW.97 I was really anxious about them doing this but they didn't tell me which day they would do it so that I wouldn't spend the day behaving like a screaming banshee :D They enjoy it though so I have to let get on with it :)
They are going to Morzine in France this time.

Munki
13-01-15, 18:19
How funny, that's where I'm going too! We go out on the 10th Feb. I bet she's pretty good. Are you UK based? It's good to know that it isn't just my Mom who panics then. Her fear for me has triggered a lot of my panic I think.

Annie0904
13-01-15, 20:48
I know she will be away on my birthday 5th Feb. Not sure when she gets back. Yes I am in North East England.

---------- Post added at 20:48 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

She will be back before you go.