PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I am new here, a friend recommended you

Galleybayghost
12-01-15, 22:10
I have never contacted a forum before. Am hoping to find some like minded people.
Yesterday I thought I was having a heart attack so I called 999 for the first time in my life. I was home with my hubbie and children and I have never been so petrified.

Luckily there is nothing wrong with my heart. I know I was more scared cos my dad died of a heart attack at age 44 and I am now 42.

However I have been suffering with dizzy spells since before Xmas as well as terrible tummy pain ( doc says its bowel spasm).

2 years ago I experienced exactly the same thing but put it down to a stressful house move.

This time I know it's caused by the loss of 2 close family members last year. I am sick of losing people to be honest. I was an orphan by the age of 29. I'm not looking for pity. I am looking for strategies that may help me - breathing/thought patterns. I never understood a panic attack until I actually had one. Boy are they scary.

I would welcome your experiences/thoughts.

Thank you

venusbluejeans
12-01-15, 22:15
Hiya Galleybayghost and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Toynova63
12-01-15, 22:25
I had similar symptoms as you. I thought I was having a heart attack or was going to pass out. It took about a month to finally feel more like my old self but what I do when I feel like that is to quickly get my mind to something else. Go for a walk, get outside, do some exercise. When it happens in the car I try to turn up the radio & sing along to change my thought process. It's a scary feeling, I don't wish it on anyone. I think what helped me the most was realizing that it's only happening in my head, it's not happening anywhere else. That helps to calm me somehow. Wishing you lots of luck!!

Mary

Galleybayghost
12-01-15, 22:44
Thanks, will take a read of some articles. It's just nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing this.

youdontknowme
13-01-15, 08:17
Welcome, welcome!!!

When my anxiety attacks first reared their ugly heads, it was under somewhat similar circumstances. A close friend of mine had recently died an unexpected death at age 19. Not long after his passing, I had my first, full blown panic attack. Poor little high school me thought it was a heart attack. That was years ago, but the point is that you aren't alone in this battle!

This is a very supportive forum that is rich with useful resources. Feel free to stay as long as you like :)