PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Andyandy1984
13-01-15, 21:28
Hey all,
I think I posted this in the wrong place initially so I moved it here - My name is Andy and I just signed up. I was hoping I could tell you what has happened to me and get some feedback/re-assurance that what I am experiencing is anxiety attacks and nothing more serious....

I am 30 years old and have been healthy my entire life. About 6 weeks ago when I was in work at the bank I was sitting at the computer when I felt a weird sensation pass over me - through my head and down my shoulders. I passed it off but about 10 mins later when I was serving a customer when I realised I hadn't breathed for a few seconds. I tried to force myself to take a breath but struggled to do so - after a few seconds I managed to breath and again I felt these strange sensations coming over my body - like a buzzing felling, not painful in any way, but just a really weird "buzz" as if I had drank 5 espressos. I sat down and my chest started to feel empty and light and I suddenly felt very fragile and as if I could have died at any moment. The strange sensations kept coming. At this point my colleagues at taken me into another room as I was feeling so strange. I began to shake and worry that I didn't have a pulse and my heart as racing pretty quickly. As the minutes passed I began to shake as if I was going into shock, I got really hot and had to unbutton my shirt and apparently I went very pale. I laid on the floor for a few minutes but felt like I was sinking into myself and I had to jump out of it or I felt like I would have died. My mouth went really dry and my lips felt strange. This whole experience lasted for about 45 mins until the ambulance arrived. Once they showed up I started to calm down a little but then started shaking uncontrollably like I was in shock. I went to hospital where they did an ECG and blood work which all came back ok - they said that my heart was great and that there hadn't been any heart attacks or any heart issues. They sent me home without much info. For about the next week I felt very weak - I had diarrhoea for most of the week, felt very fragile, tired and still had weird sensations during the week. At one point, 4 days after this happened, I felt like the same thing was starting to happen again. This time I was able to wake up my wife and tell her it was happening, she was able to comfort me etc and I managed to "fight" it away - I feel like if I had been on my own then it would have been a bad as the first time.
After a full week I finally began to feel like a normal human again and felt less fragile.

That was six weeks ago. Today when I was at work I suddenly had 2 bouts of bad diarrhoea andbegan to feel a strange sensation again. This time it felt like my tongue was going a little numb and the back of my throat was numb and it was hard to swallow - the thing was, it wasn't physically swelling or anything and my throat wasn't closing over. It was just a really weird sensation that got me panicked. I had to try to not think too much about it but it did start to freak me out a little.

My question is this - can I be sure this is anxiety/panic attacks? Do all these symptoms match in with other peoples? Could it be something more serious?

Here's a little rundown on my life at the minute - I am 30 years old, married with a 10 month old baby. I moved to North America from the UK 3 years ago. I miss family, friends etc back home. I am getting a lot less sleep than I used to. This year I have been working a lot more than I ever have too - I work in 3 different locations in 3 different towns. Having turned 30 I am worried about the whole "life direction" thing too. Could all this money, baby, work, living in another country "stuff" cause me to start having these symptoms whenever I don't feel overtly anxious on the outside?

My other question is this: both times that I have started to feel strange I have been in front of a screen and have had a few cups of coffee in the past few hours. I have been a big coffee drinker most of my life so I find it hard to think that I could suddenly be having a reaction to it now.

Anyway. I would love to hear your thoughts on this!

Thanks