PDA

View Full Version : My GP is a moron!

Jomo
14-01-15, 19:48
Really angry and frustrated with my GP. I had an emergency appointment yesterday as i genuinely feel i may be heading for a major break down. I have GAD, depression, social anxiety and PTSD. I have had frequent feelings of detachment and rarely go out, even with people i know or family. My anxiety and depression is recurrent and it completely engulfs my life... So i go to the GP for more help because beta blockers and amitriptyline are not working. My Mum came with me and i wrote all my issues down on paper because my anxiety gets so bad i cant talk properly, stumble words etc. I know from previous experience that 'Lyrica' (pregablin) work wonders for me. I requested a short time on them until my therapy referral comes through.

He was an ass, gave me 2mg diazepam instead (only 12 of them) He said anxiety was common and i need not to focus on it!!!! Maybe i could try a new hobby. Seriously! Feeling angry and highly strung. My mind is all over the place tonight, tearful, then vacant, then talking manically. Feel close to breaking point :(

BikerMatt
14-01-15, 20:23
I had a bad experience at my gp surgery last week and have come to the conclusion that their a total waste of space! Their on about £120000 per year for what, dishing out prescriptions and referring people to local hospitals!

JMA
14-01-15, 20:35
While his words may have had the subtlety of a kick to the nuts, he is imparting a slender piece of good advice. Prescription issues aside, one of the worse things about anxiety is it's self-perpetuating nature.

We feel anxious > We focus on it > we feel more anxious > repeat.

...probably throw a few ask Dr Google sessions in there as well for good measure.

So the idea of trying to break the cycle via focusing on other things is valid. Although, admittedly, bloody hard to entertain as a solution sometimes.

Jomo
14-01-15, 20:36
My Doc didnt even refer me, he gave me a leaflet to refer myself. Im 34 and my Mum had to sit there and say she feared i was close to a break down and that she was distressed by this. His response was indifferent at best. I agree with you, waste of space. My previous visit ended with him printing my repeat prescriptions, he haded them to me but when i got to the chemist it turned out he'd given me 4 other peoples prescriptions but not mine.

JMA
14-01-15, 20:39
My Doc didnt even refer me, he gave me a leaflet to refer myself. .

Ok. In retrospect, he does sound like a donut.

Jomo
14-01-15, 20:41
I get that thinking, I really do. Until recently I painted and was a volunteer in the local records office which I LOVED and could do some work from home. Problem is my depression is turning ugly and my interest in those activities has gone. Thats not healthy. I Just dont think he understood the level of mental anguish I was in. I feel i dont know what to do next, if my GP dosnt get it who will

JMA
14-01-15, 20:52
See a different GP? At my practice there is a dearth of decent GPs. If I was being rude, I would say they are mostly old dinosaurs from the 'pull yourself together' generation of mental health treatment.

So try a different GP, or maybe even a different practice? Could also contacting a charity like Mind for advice?

....depending on funds, private counselling could be an option?

Jomo
14-01-15, 21:06
Im waiting at the moment to hear the nhs verdict for treatment. I was assessed by the psychotherapy folks last week, have a telephone appointment tomorrow to tell me what they are going to do but it may be a long wait to start treatment. I'm thinking I will try to get my point over then, I'm thinking they will probably understand but not sure they can do alot, will have to wait and see.
As for the doc, i chose to see him after my registered GP was useless, prescribed me citalopram which does not help. My GP seems to know little about depression and anxiety..... but she does have a citalopram pen and calendar on her desk.... I think a surgery change may be good.

MyNameIsTerry
15-01-15, 00:21
A classic example of a person with no understanding of mental health issues. They make the assumption that anxiety is like being 'a bit stressed' or depression being 'a bit down' but they would not apply the same reasoning to a broken vs. a muscle strain.

If you can transfer, it could be worth it but there are plenty of good and bad GP's when it comes to mental health issues. You could try using the online GP reviews to find one near you if they have got some good reviews, maybe, but its still a lottery in terms of getting one.

Engage with the referral people and search for local charities that provide mental health services who will be able to help you or advise you.

Pregabalin can also be a difficult process in the UK as seen on the medication boards on here as not all GP's are willing to prescribe it, despite NICE recommending it's usage, most likely because it costs them more.

Carnation
15-01-15, 01:46
Unfortunately, most GP's do not even understand Anxiety and they don't want to get involved, so hence the dish out of never-ending prescriptions. Sometimes you get a GP who is experienced in that field, but not all Surgeries have them. That's why they refer us to Therapists and why we are all on this Site. :unsure: