PDA

View Full Version : Genuinely feel like this is how I'm going to die now. Scared.

Alice1
14-01-15, 20:44
Hello.
Thank you for reading this if you do. I've been having possibly the worst few days of my life and don't feel like I can talk to anyone.

So I finally have my echo and ECG results on paper.
There was quite a bit the cardiologist didn't think to mention and t doesn't seem like my heart is as healthy and 'fine' as they say it is. I don't understand why they discharged me.

I feel like either they have ignored the results in front of them because I am young or they are just waiting for my condition to get worse and more severe symptoms to develop and will deal with that then.

The first thing was that the technical quality of the echo was 'fair' and 'poor'. Seeing as they estimate a lot of the values using equations, a poor quality image doesn't correlate with accurate estimates, apparently this might have been because I was tall and slim, hence the echo was challenging.

So my echo showed, most worrying to me, at least, but something they didn't EVEN mention; 'borderline elevated pulmonary artery pressure'. Pulmonary hypertension is serious business. People die so quickly (most untreated within 3 years and it just gets worse and worse until you get heart failure and lung problems and you die), as their symptoms just get worse and worse and there's no cure.

It states borderline PAP on my echo, however the values written down are 31-36mmHg.
Everything online states the threshold for normal is less than 25mmHg and the threshold for pulmonary hypertension should be low, especially since I'm 19.

I've been getting a lot of pain in my left arm and left side of my chest below my collar bone. it feels dull and achy and a bit like squeezing.

I've also recently noticed getting out of breath more easily. Walking down the street or going up stairs. At least I think I'm getting out of breath more easily, I am just not 100% sure.
I went to the gym today and felt really out of breath after only going for a little while, but later when I was working really really hard it sorted itself out and I seemed to be getting enough oxygen. I don't know what's going on there.

My echo also showed mild tricuspid regurgitation, often seen with pulmonary hypertension.

I haven't had many ectopics recently and to be honest have just been ignoring them and they haven't bothered me, cause at least they're not going to kill me like PH is. I got loads when I exercised though.

I didn't sleep at all on sunday night (spent 33 hours awake). And am having trouble getting to sleep.

We're going to my grandma's doctor in Poland and some more answers will be given hopefully.

I don't want pulmonary hypertension. I really don't want to die. I keep feeling like these are my last few months and I just scared to die so young. There's a small probability that the results were wrong as echocardiagrams often estimate them wrong, but they're probably not are they. Wrong results rarely happen.

I feel in a bit of a daze. I just want my mum to hug me and never let go so I can feel like there's nothing wrong with my heart or lungs and I won't die.

Yogi
14-01-15, 21:03
I know I'm not your mum and I'm not sure how to make you feel better but I'm sending you a huge hug anyway xx

stars22
14-01-15, 21:32
Hey hun I had a heart ultrasound I was not told my results just your hearts okay it's now 3 months on with chest pain ext and no results from my hotel monitor got it 2nd December and now look at the date still nothing the doctor said calmly you may have a arrhythmia or a electrical problem er mm what ? They don't care if your from UK ? N's are in such a mess sorry this is not helping but your post just reminded me of how much cap comes out of doctors in England's mouths

mummato2
14-01-15, 21:47
Sweetheart, please don't worry.

You have been seen by professionals who have studied many years to become experts in their field. I am assuming you know the ranges and values because Dr Google has seen you?

The problem with computer research vs a dr consult is that a Dr who physically sees you deals with your history, other test results, your age etc vs a computer who spits out non-contextual information.

Often times margins are guides only and not hard and fast. People, after all, are individual. Perhaps the margins in younger people are different or rely on other methods of assessment to be used alongside the tests you're looking at.

The fact that you were tired once at the gym then fine another time tells me it isn't a health issue. If you had heart disease it wouldn't cope sometimes and not others. Young people with heart symptoms are often chronic which means its persistent with time and not intermittent.

You need to manage your anxiety and to do that your first step MUST be to get off google and put trust in a Dr that has physically examined and tested you accordingly.

Alice1
14-01-15, 21:49
I'm just worried cause it's been a year since the echo and I just don't know.
Thank you. I wish the doctors would listen too.

mummato2
14-01-15, 21:54
That's the biggest battle. Finding a Dr who is patient and also understands anxiety.

Ok, you're seeing your grandmother's dr in Poland. Is he a cardiologist?

Alice1
14-01-15, 21:57
Sweetheart, please don't worry.

You have been seen by professionals who have studied many years to become experts in their field. I am assuming you know the ranges and values because Dr Google has seen you?

The problem with computer research vs a dr consult is that a Dr who physically sees you deals with your history, other test results, your age etc vs a computer who spits out non-contextual information.

Often times margins are guides only and not hard and fast. People, after all, are individual. Perhaps the margins in younger people are different or rely on other methods of assessment to be used alongside the tests you're looking at.

The fact that you were tired once at the gym then fine another time tells me it isn't a health issue. If you had heart disease it wouldn't cope sometimes and not others. Young people with heart symptoms are often chronic which means its persistent with time and not intermittent.

You need to manage your anxiety and to do that your first step MUST be to get off google and put trust in a Dr that has physically examined and tested you accordingly.

Thank you so much, I understand where you're coming from. But they never even mentioned it and I don't understand why.
It is google, and medical journals as I found webmd just tells you you're going to die and is not realistic in diagnosing yourself.
Apparently it's often seen in young people and women and does not discriminate. PH is PH.
The NHS is chronically bad now days. That's where my worry stems from.
It took 5 GP appointments and 5 doctors to hear I have a murmur and get an echo done. And only 1 has heard it since.

---------- Post added at 22:57 ---------- Previous post was at 22:56 ----------

That's the biggest battle. Finding a Dr who is patient and also understands anxiety.

Ok, you're seeing your grandmother's dr in Poland. Is he a cardiologist?

He is I think, yes.

mummato2
14-01-15, 22:05
Great. Then you need to see him and listen to his diagnosis and advice.

Please stay off google in the meantime. It does not give all variations and I don't agree that PH is PH. My father had a high reading that caused a barrage of further tests......he lived til he was 72 and passed from something non heart related!

Alice1
14-01-15, 22:25
Ok. I'm not a doctor so it's just confusing to work it out. But the actual doctors don't listen.
May I ask what value it was?