PDA

View Full Version : Relaxed mind... physical symptoms remain. How long?

Katki
15-01-15, 17:14
I know this question is difficult to answer as each person is different, but was just wondering. I'm finding that even once you know it's anxiety causing your symptoms, it still takes a LOT of time for your body to readjust to 'normal' (whatever that is).

I'm finding this really really disheartening as one day I feel fine (usually after a better nights sleep) and the next I just feel horrid all day and my body starts to hurt again. I suffer mostly with palpatations, rib tenderness, butterflies in my stomach and just general horrible fatigue where I can hardly walk around.

My general mood is a lot better, I am no longer worried that my symptoms are something more sinister and have accepted that my symptoms are all just down to chronic stress.

I know you have to let time pass and let your body readjust, and I know it takes time indeed, but how long have people found it takes for your body to start ridding of all the physical anxiety symptoms?

.Poppy.
15-01-15, 17:51
I think that sometimes there are little relapses, but since I've accepted my HA they are more short-lived. For example, today I'm feeling a little off because I woke up with a pain in my back. I got a little nervous, fearing the worst, but put it out of my mind. I'll probably feel better tomorrow, after a long sleep.

As for how long it took me to feel better back when I got past the worst of my HA - maybe a week or two? I honestly can't remember :) I think with distractions it's much easier, though, so keep yourself busy! Some of it is that you've developed the habit, and subconsciously those thoughts and feelings remain, so you just have to get out of that place without succumbing back into the HA.

You can do it, though! Good job for coming this far!

Katki
15-01-15, 17:55

At the moment I have horrible vertigo from either just general stress and neck tension or the pharmacist said it could be from the Quiet Life tablets i'm taking.

I'm keen to stop taking them but it's only been a week and a half since I started so I might see how it goes.

I'm also suffering from some kind of virus (my mum has the same) so that is adding to my physical symptoms at the moment.

But that's really positive, thanks, I will keep going!!!x

Sparkling_Fairy
17-11-15, 13:21
I'm still wondering this too.
The past few weeks I've felt very calm. My mind no longer thinks about anxiety, or goes there.
Yet I still feel physical symptoms every day. Sometimes very subtle, sometimes harder. Never all day anymore.

But for example this morning I was working, not stressed or anything, just answering a few mails. And all of a sudden I started shaking and twitching like crazy!
And I thought: but I feel calm in myself, I'm not thinking about anxiety. Why is this still happening?
I know it takes longer for your body to calm down than your mind. But I do wonder how much longer I'll have to put up with this

kellie39
17-11-15, 13:42
ive been wondering the same.
ive never suffered anxiety like this before and i have spend about 4 weeks in a complete panic and its been such a shock for me.
ive felt a bit calmer for a few days but im still feeling that internal shaky feeling deep down (a lot better than is was but still there), my bowels are still suffering, im not sleeping properly and my back is still aching.

i would love for these symptoms to go away now so everything can go back to normal.

Sparkling_Fairy
17-11-15, 13:45
Well I can tell you my bowels and stomach problems went away after a few weeks of my anxiety disappearing.
My heart palpitations are for the most part gone.
But I still get the internal shaking and muscle twitches every single day. Sometimes not so bad, sometimes awful!

dizzy daisy
17-11-15, 13:53
It's awful but its usual for the physical symptoms to carry on for a while after the anxious thoughts have subsided. I find that mine stay for a few weeks after I'm completely ok mentally. It's a pain like you say you can be just typing emails and then you start getting all jittery. Just keep going, keep busy and it will get better and better. Xxxx

kellie39
17-11-15, 13:54
Well I can tell you my bowels and stomach problems went away after a few weeks of my anxiety disappearing.
My heart palpitations are for the most part gone.
But I still get the internal shaking and muscle twitches every single day. Sometimes not so bad, sometimes awful!

im hoping things settle down soon and its good to hear that the bowels and stomach will settle.
the internal shaking is there most of the time but seems more noticeable her and there.
glad your symptoms are slowly settling down xx

Sparkling_Fairy
17-11-15, 17:55
It's awful but its usual for the physical symptoms to carry on for a while after the anxious thoughts have subsided. I find that mine stay for a few weeks after I'm completely ok mentally. It's a pain like you say you can be just typing emails and then you start getting all jittery. Just keep going, keep busy and it will get better and better. Xxxx

Thanks for that! I do hope they go away soon. Most of my symptoms seem to have gone, or gotten softer. But I do still have some of them.
I do find it I keep busy I feel better.

daisyflower
17-11-15, 20:05
If i have specific pains related to a worry, it takes a good 3 weeks for them to ease after my worrying has stopped. You brain has to forget about the pains and desensitise X

Sparkling_Fairy
17-11-15, 23:32
I think that's an excellent point of my brain needing to forget.
Because I used to love spending time on my couch, alone, watching Netflix. Then being alone gave me anxiety when I was at my highest point, 'cause I was very ware of the fact that if something went wrong no one was there. Now I love being on my own again, but every time I go to chill on the couch, the shaking starts.

Same for I used to lie 1,5 hours in the bath, every day! It was my relaxation haven. Then with my anxiety, I got anxiety there too. Now every time I take a bath, I feel a little more upset. So I barely do it anymore. I need my brain to remember how much I used to love those things so I can relax and enjoy it again

MyNameIsTerry
18-11-15, 05:14
Yeah, memory is all part of it. The subconscious is able to "timestamp" events as well as record location information. So, people who've had panic attacks in one place can have them again there. I found I had some of my worst panic/anxiety on my settee watching TV so it has been a lot of work to reduce that.

Also, we build core beliefs. So, we can easily make associatiosn between certain places. Look how common supermarkets get a mention.

It's all about exposure to get back into it but if you actually want to do it, I think you have a massive headstart as you aren't fighting the should issue and being trapped into it as well as all the negative thinking that will occur about how it will go.

kellie39
18-11-15, 10:38
wow im not having a good morning this morning, ive been doing ok since last friday so feeling so tearful and low today is really horrible. it starting to make my mind wander which i really dont want to happen.

i hope this passes soon

Sparkling_Fairy
18-11-15, 11:58
wow im not having a good morning this morning, ive been doing ok since last friday so feeling so tearful and low today is really horrible. it starting to make my mind wander which i really dont want to happen.

i hope this passes soon

Hope it passes soon for you! It's strange how some days it can just pop up and others you think you've dealt with it.

Try to distract yourself.

Fishmanpa
18-11-15, 12:53
I've posted this analogy before...

Anxiety is like a campfire. When you're really stressed, the fire is burning hot and bright. When the fire dies down, there are still hot coals burning for a long time. Any fuel added to the coals can start the fire burning hot again. How long the coals stay hot depends on how hot the fire was originally and how long one keeps the coals going. Regardless, it can take a while for the anxious physiology to totally calm down.

Positive thoughts