PDA

View Full Version : Clumps of Hair Falling Out in Shower?

worriednow22
15-01-15, 19:40
Hi,

I have noticed off and on the last few weeks a small clump or two of hair in the shower. I must say that this is after I take a bath, so the clump is floating on the bath water. I noticed it a few weeks ago, a small clump of maybe 10-20 hairs in a ball about the size of a skittle or m&m candy piece.

Anyways, today I saw 2 clumps like this again floating on the bath water. One thing is, I got a hair cut last night so maybe it's from hair "stuck" in my hair from that?

Also is it possible since these clumps are floating in the bath tub water that maybe they are bumping into each other and collecting into a clump? As in, maybe im losing say 50 hairs as normal when I shower right? But since they are floating on water they are bumping into each other and it's "snowballing" making a clump? If so, this would have had to happen within 3 minutes of washing my hair since that's how long it took before looking down at the bath water.

I checked the bath water before I washed my hair and it didn't have the clumps. So it came from my head no matter what. But I just took a mirror to the back of my head and looked all over. No thinning or bald spots. I thought the hair around my nape or neck hairline was thinning the last few weeks but it looks normal now. What do you guys think? Shouldn't I see some thinning from these small clumps falling out? Maybe it's normal and just the hairs floating in the bath water and collecting against each other making a clump? Thanks

eevee
15-01-15, 19:46
It's normal to lose 100 hairs per day, and if you don't wash your hair everyday, or say, if you put your hair up in a ponytail or don't brush your hair, sometimes the hair gets tangled and they can't shed. Hence why you find lots of hair when you do wash your hair.

swgrl09
15-01-15, 20:05
I lose a quarter size clump each shower at least. It's normal.

worriednow22
15-01-15, 20:08
It's normal to lose 100 hairs per day, and if you don't wash your hair everyday, or say, if you put your hair up in a ponytail or don't brush your hair, sometimes the hair gets tangled and they can't shed. Hence why you find lots of hair when you do wash your hair.

Thanks. But this was 2 actual small clumps of hair. Basically small balls of hair wrapped around each other. I have curly hair and it might have been say 20 strands of hair wrapped around each other to create a small ball of hair about the size of a m&m candy piece. I am just hoping that the hairs collected together when floating in the bath water to make this "clump." But then again, I can't recall seeing this in the past when taking a bath years ago. So it's got to be something. I have never had this before really. But I don't see any thinning or bald spots.

---------- Post added at 20:08 ---------- Previous post was at 20:07 ----------

I lose a quarter size clump each shower at least. It's normal.

But is it an actual clump? Like a small ball or cluster? I am not talking about just having stray hairs floating around in the water. I am talking about a small cluster/clump/ball of hair floating in the water.

Hypo
15-01-15, 21:40
Hair goes through cycles where you lose loads.

However, if it keeps happening get your thyroid checked. I had hair loss like yours and had a low thyroid which is easily controlled with medication :)

If you have been anxious and not eating well this can cause it. With no bald spots I wouldn't suspect anything horrible like alopecia but if it doesn't stop a blood test for thyroid would be advisable I think.