PDA

View Full Version : Scratched top off of a mole... Panicking

AmyMJ
15-01-15, 23:31
In a panicky frenzy I was scratching my arm and ended up knocking the top off a mole. It's a flat one and wasn't very big but it bled a bit, it seems to have scabbed over now but literally all I can think about is skin cancer... Simply doing this can't lead to skin cancer right?! It's also bedtime and my mind just won't shut up. Reassurance please :(

Fishmanpa
16-01-15, 01:05
In a panicky frenzy I was scratching my arm and ended up knocking the top off a mole. It's a flat one and wasn't very big but it bled a bit, it seems to have scabbed over now but literally all I can think about is skin cancer... Simply doing this can't lead to skin cancer right?! It's also bedtime and my mind just won't shut up. Reassurance please :(

No different than a scratch or a cut. It'll heal.

Positive thoughts

snowflake293
16-01-15, 13:19
I did this before Christmas due to over vigorously towelling myself dry after a shower... I made a mole on the back of my neck go all crusty and dry and it bled. I was convinced I had cancer and had a huge meltdown, but then I saw my GP who assured me it was just a mole I had knocked. It will heal up, don't worry :)

If it is dry try putting aqueous cream or a little Vaseline over it. That really helped mine go back to normal.

mummato2
16-01-15, 14:24
I did the same last year and saw a dr. He looked under a scope and said not to worry. He explained that skin cancer takes a cell change to start vs a scratch which is a surface injury and nothing at all to do with the cells.

Just leave it alone - don't scratch or irritate it - it'll heal

AmyMJ
16-01-15, 21:50
Thank you guys, I'm feeling much better now. Everything always feels better after a good night's sleep!